Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 08:13 AM

2,063 posts, read 7,782,021 times

Advertisements

Bungalow Style Home ? Arts & Crafts Homes and the Revival This has a similar enough look, and if you are redoing walls something you can use as a model for proportion.

Bungalows For Sale In Roseway | Living in Roseway (http://livinginroseway.com/bungalows-for-sale-in-roseway/ - broken link) The house at the top of the page is very similar. Click on it to enlarge a tiny bit, so you see a bit more. If you brought the present front door forward you would get a bit more interior room and the balance you are looking for.

This one is still the same shape as your house, has one small window with shutters and the front door brought forward with a porch to give it a bit of 3D. http://www.jdls.com/listing.php?cat=85&list=1243379357

Best wishes for your new home!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2011, 08:25 AM

18,469 posts, read 31,630,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
How about this? images/100_1280.jpg
It's simple and more in keeping with the style of the house IMO.
No, def not, too 70's.
I don't like the wasted sheet of glass in the middle (fish bowl), doesn't open, pita to wash.

I like the op
double hung, with the muntons in them. Classic, always looks good.
Plus the space isn't that big for it to be all window, so 2 double hung with shutters, possible flower box if you like.

Old 05-16-2011, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
I'm with those recommending putting a much larger window in place of the one that's currently there.

that is an ugly window.

Old 05-16-2011, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
That looks okay. I would like a double or triple window better.

I thnk the one you just tried is too short vertically, seems too modern for your house, and doesn't go well with the other window near the door.

Here's a double:

Here's a triple:

With this double or triple window option, you can tie the entire look of the house together by chosing a matching single window for near the door.

I agree perfect !!!

Old 05-16-2011, 08:50 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,138,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
No, def not, too 70's.
Actually it's a style that is original to most of the 1950's ranch style homes in my area, and I find it easier to clean a larger pane of glass than one that has a lot of mullions.
The only downside is that a picture window is a lot more expensive to replace than a small pane from a mullion window.

Old 05-16-2011, 09:03 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,722,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
that is an ugly window.
That's exactly how I feel about the one which is nothing but small panes. The jpg I posted might not be my choice, but I definitely think it's better than nothing but small panes, scattered everywhere, and most definitely better than the one currently in the house. We all have our preferences though...thank God for that, or there'd be ONE style of house and window. To me, it's like granite vs whatever....you may love granite and I might hate it....so who's "wrong"!

Old 05-16-2011, 09:09 AM

1,138 posts, read 3,345,812 times
Default Nice home

Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
I think enlarging the existing window would look better than two separate windows.
Agree! Also agree that if you could bring the front door forward you'd have more light and more sq footage. Costly though.
Good Luck!

Old 05-16-2011, 11:00 AM

6,109 posts, read 10,893,390 times
I would either do a Chicago style window (two narrow double hungs bordering a larger fixed) or a triple mulled double hung set, not just two windows together and not just one big fixed picture window both styles are inappropriate for this handsome if simple bungalow; the two window pattern is more Colonial Revival and a picture window is too modern. Also I would include muntins- at least in the upper part of the window as some examples have shown, the slight increase in cleaning is more than offset by a more detailed and finished look as well as the subtle framing of various views that muntins provides. And no fake shutters, not on a bungalow and certainly not any that don't enclose the window they surround.
Keep the porch (nix the astroturf(?) floor), box the skinny metal support with a nice tapered post set on a masonry base, set a couple of nice chairs out there- I would also emphasize the belt-line trim piece -install a slightly larger composite piece there to give it a bit more detail. A little bit of landscaping, a cottage fence and you're good to go.

It's nice handsome house with a strong simple form just ready for a little spiffing up.

Good luck.

Old 05-16-2011, 11:38 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,722,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
I would either do a Chicago style window (two narrow double hungs bordering a larger fixed) or a triple mulled double hung set, not just two windows together and not just one big fixed picture window both styles are inappropriate for this handsome if simple bungalow; the two window pattern is more Colonial Revival and a picture window is too modern. Also I would include muntins- at least in the upper part of the window as some examples have shown, the slight increase in cleaning is more than offset by a more detailed and finished look as well as the subtle framing of various views that muntins provides. And no fake shutters, not on a bungalow and certainly not any that don't enclose the window they surround.
Keep the porch (nix the astroturf(?) floor), box the skinny metal support with a nice tapered post set on a masonry base, set a couple of nice chairs out there- I would also emphasize the belt-line trim piece -install a slightly larger composite piece there to give it a bit more detail. A little bit of landscaping, a cottage fence and you're good to go.

It's nice handsome house with a strong simple form just ready for a little spiffing up.

Good luck.
The nice thing about the new vinyl windows, is that they have the "grid work" set between 2 panes of glass, making them an absolute breeze to care for. We have a 1932 home, with the original double-hung, wood-framed windows. The bottom is one piece, the upper portion is 6 panes...yes..6 pains! Not only are they a pain to clean, but prime and paint as well. The kitchen one was in such horrible shape, that we were forced to replace it with a custom vinyl one, many years ago, but wanted to stick with the same style. Washing it is as simple as washing a solid window....absolutely bliss!

Old 05-16-2011, 12:18 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,893,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
The nice thing about the new vinyl windows, is that they have the "grid work" set between 2 panes of glass, making them an absolute breeze to care for. We have a 1932 home, with the original double-hung, wood-framed windows. The bottom is one piece, the upper portion is 6 panes...yes..6 pains! Not only are they a pain to clean, but prime and paint as well. The kitchen one was in such horrible shape, that we were forced to replace it with a custom vinyl one, many years ago, but wanted to stick with the same style. Washing it is as simple as washing a solid window....absolutely bliss!
While I'll freely admit I likely have different and even perhaps unrealistic standards than most (I'm an architect who specializes in historic homes) I would consider that option to be sacrilege, at least in my 1928 Spanish Revival. Nearly all of my original wood windows are 6 over 1, except for the mahogany framed arched windows in the living room and dining room, and many are two stories up. Yes, they are more difficult to clean and maintain but they are at least maintainable, some do need repairs and touching up but overall they are in great shape for being 83 years old. I consider vinyl windows to be disposable- 15 years if you are lucky- so if you have a disposable house you get disposable windows.

Here, in this modest but proud little house I would get clad wood windows. The muntins behind glass are better than none at all but it still doesn't look right to my trained eye to not the the shadow lines and to see reflections over the muntin.

Like I said, I'm probably too much of a stickler to most but when you have these small classic houses every choice you make carries a larger weight than with a big new anonymous tract house. Just my 2¢
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House