Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 01:09 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,326,011 times

Advertisements

1970s actually seems a little too early to me, but I see lots of commercial places built with "air duct board" -- I suppose some builders could use that for residential purposes.

I think the stuff from Johns Manville is black -- google "linacoustic rc". You CANNOT clean that stuff with brushes!!! Only use a company with skills in using "air whips"!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2012, 10:22 AM

1 posts, read 3,567 times
Idk if u have gotten this problem corrected, but we have had a similar situation. When we went to home depot, they don't sell fiberglass rolls and no one knew what we were talking about-except one older guy. He shows us insulation yellow to replace insulation for hvac, but once u replace need that black cover to hold insulation in so it doesn't blow out and into vents. So he told us we should think about replacing the insulated register boxes come in 4 6 or 8 inches and he reports to replace-need unscrew insulated register duct from interior of grill and pull flex duct up through attic and replace the register duct and then send it back down to the vent and screw it into stud or sheetrock. It seems like a lot of work and have been calling around just to clean and some of these ac duct cleaning people clean them and some don't> if you figure out how to correct this problem without getting into attic and pulling things through please let me know-

Old 04-15-2012, 02:32 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,447,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
First, when you say "older" do you mean like built when JFK was in office or Abe Lincoln? If this is from the Abe era when was the forced air system retrofitted?

I can't think of too many types of insulation that is supposed to be "blacK" -- even rock wool is mostly grey-ish. So I would lean toward the stuff just being FILTH, but maybe post a picture if you can aim at it...
Duct board is black on the inside.

Now if the duct board has little balls of blackness on them then that could be an issue with mold build up which most likely occurred from not having the coil cleaned routinely.

Old 04-18-2012, 07:52 PM

4,196 posts, read 6,294,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageGirl View Post
What is behind A/C register vents.......??

The boogie monster!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House