Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 10:11 PM

1,455 posts, read 2,497,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
In 1969.
Craigslist wasn't around in 1969
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2012, 07:55 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,447,135 times
I think you may just have to recycle them.

I have been cleaning out my parent's house (over 700 books, plus 3 encyclopedia sets). Goodwill and Salvation Army took the books, but not the encyclopedias. I couldn't find any place that would take them.

The funny thing was I offered all the places a complete set of the Harvard Classics (51 volumes), and they either said "what is that?" or "no". That's ok, they go for about $250 on Ebay...

Old 01-15-2012, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
Churches will take those pianos for their youth programs. They will even come pick them up.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

I need to look into that... I have an upright player piano...(with a lot of the rolls)....

I think it will end up as 'free to a good home, as long as you come and get it'.

Old 01-17-2012, 12:51 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,054,423 times
You could put notices all over town on telephone posts and such with your phone number and offer to look up facts for people for free. Contact some businesses and tell them you will put a plug in for their services when people call you in exchange for a nickle. I was thinking of doing this myself but am willing to offer this business opportunity for free as I'm working on other bigger ideas right now.

Old 01-17-2012, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Upright piano's are another old house item that's hard to get rid of.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Unless it is a player piano... then they go for a pile....

Old 01-17-2012, 03:26 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
Why are upright pianos worthless?

A nice set of 1978 Encyclopedia Britannicas plus a "book of the year" for several years will be one of many things I'll have to deal with when my parents are gone. They do look nice on a book shelf. As a kid I always wished we had World Books. Ours were not written in kid friendly language.

Old 01-17-2012, 04:13 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
Why are upright pianos worthless?

A nice set of 1978 Encyclopedia Britannicas plus a "book of the year" for several years will be one of many things I'll have to deal with when my parents are gone. They do look nice on a book shelf. As a kid I always wished we had World Books. Ours were not written in kid friendly language.
Maybe you can trade them for a piano.

I can tell you one reason theey are worthless. We bought a beautiful 1906 tiger oak havard upright piano on Ebay for $500.

It cost $750 to ship it.

It cost $1,200 to tune it and replace broken strings.

When we moved it would cost at least $1000 to move it again.

Our piano tuner said while he liked our moeny, we could buy a new plastic Yamaha piano and have it delivered for less than the cost of tuning and it would sound better.

What he did not understand was that it was not in our house as a musical instrument. It was a beautiful piece of antique furniture that also happened to play music.

However it demonstrates why an old upright has no value. No one wants them anyway because you cna do aalmost the same thing with a computer and a small keyboard, but if you did wnat a piano instead of a keyboard, you can also buy a new one for less than it costs to move and bring an older upright up to snuff.

Pool tables are the same way. It costs so much to move and reassemble them, that only the really super nice and/or antique ones have any value. Otherwise your are better off just leaving them in the house.

Old 01-17-2012, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Maybe you can trade them for a piano.

I can tell you one reason theey are worthless. We bought a beautiful 1906 tiger oak havard upright piano on Ebay for $500.

It cost $750 to ship it.

It cost $1,200 to tune it and replace broken strings.

When we moved it would cost at least $1000 to move it again.

Our piano tuner said while he liked our moeny, we could buy a new plastic Yamaha piano and have it delivered for less than the cost of tuning and it would sound better.

What he did not understand was that it was not in our house as a musical instrument. It was a beautiful piece of antique furniture that also happened to play music.

However it demonstrates why an old upright has no value. No one wants them anyway because you cna do aalmost the same thing with a computer and a small keyboard, but if you did wnat a piano instead of a keyboard, you can also buy a new one for less than it costs to move and bring an older upright up to snuff.

Pool tables are the same way. It costs so much to move and reassemble them, that only the really super nice and/or antique ones have any value. Otherwise your are better off just leaving them in the house.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

It cost me $300 to move a $12K pool table.... I think it was worth it.

The upright player piano, on the other hand, will be subjected to basic physics experiments, with rapid deceleration as the ultimate goal

Quote:"However it demonstrates why an old upright has no value. No one wants them anyway because you cna do aalmost the same thing with a computer and a small keyboard...."

Though I doubt your computer and keyboard has real ivory keys

Old 01-18-2012, 10:12 AM

10,016 posts, read 12,577,788 times
Yep, got rid of mine. Who needs them now we have the net? The net does not get outdated like the books do eiter.

Old 01-18-2012, 11:18 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,122,930 times
I explained to my kids how when I was a kid we would have to use the Encyclopedia set to complete projects for school.

>They asked me what an Encyclopedia was.

-I explained to them that they are books full of information. It was the alternative to the internet when I was a kid.

>They asked if they contained games.

-No.

>They asked if it had maps.

-No. I explained that is an Atlas.

>They asked if news were in them.

-No. Only historical events were contained.

>They asked how you looked up information.

-I explained there's a book for each letter of the Alphabet, but some book contained more than one letter and others on contained S - SI and another may contain SJ - SZ.

>They looked at me confused. And told me people must have been pretty dumb "in the olden days".

.....kids
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House