Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 08:25 AM

8,578 posts, read 7,071,457 times

Advertisements

The outdoor faucet on our deck is called an anti-siphon wall faucet. Anti-siphon? Who would want to siphon water from a faucet? Actually, I think it has something to do with the faucet not freezing in cold weather. I also know that it's started leaking badly around that top cap.

I found a repair kit online but before we do that I'd like to ask if anyone knows if this type of faucet can be replaced with a regular outdoor faucet? The outdoor faucets on the other sides of the house are not like this one.

Sorry about the photo quality. I used my cell phone camera and didn't do very well.

Last edited by LilyLady; 08-27-2014 at 02:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2011, 08:41 AM

1,594 posts, read 3,056,129 times
I could be wrong, but I believe it has to do with water flowing back through the faucet into the pipes in the house. For example, if you were watering a garden with one of those fertilizer sprayers or filling a swimming pool, water could go back through the faucet and mix with the drinking water. The anti-siphon faucet prevents that.

Old 05-29-2011, 08:45 AM

23,587 posts, read 70,350,712 times
Anti-siphon means that if you are using your hose to mix up a fifty gallon drum of compost tea, complete with chicken poo and cattle droppings, and you leave the hose end in the drum with the water running, AND the water pressure suddenly drops because a main water line down the hill from you suddenly explodes in a geyser, the compost tea won't get sucked into the water line and you won't drink chicken poo.

There are many places where such a feature actually makes sense - janitor slop sinks, high rise buildings where pumps can fail, water systems where the lines are too small, etc.. A licensed plumber may install anti-siphon hose bibs as a matter of form, since building codes likely require it now.

Since the anti-siphon usually doesn't give too much of a problem, this is one of the instances that I think the couple extra bucks is worth the cost. If you are on a well and wouldn't affect anyone but yourself, then maybe retrofitting to the old style would be OK, however, if you are on a municipal system you have a social responsibility to your neighbors.

Old 05-29-2011, 08:49 AM

2,903 posts, read 12,529,910 times
Gram is correct. It is code.
If you left a hose attached to it and the other end of that hose was in a muddy or worse puddle with the valve on a bit, then someone in another part of the house turned on water, the potential would exist for the muddy water to siphon up into your drinking water. Very bad.
The anti siphon prevents this.

I only add here that when you turn off the hose you can get a water hammer type pressure wave, which for a second will make the water come out of the top of the valve. This is normal. It should not continue more then a moment.

If this is what it is doing, all is well.

As to the "freeze-proof" feature, that is dependent on how far into the house the valve stem goes. It has nothing to do with the anit siphon feature.

Frank

Old 05-29-2011, 09:02 AM

Default Thank you for the information

Thank you for the replies to my question on this faucet. I didn't realize it may be required by code, but that makes sense since that part of the house was built later than the rest of it. We're on the city system not a well. It seems to me my neighbors and I would be better off getting the repair kit ($8.44) and fixing the leaky faucet. Next task would be to change over the other outside faucets to the anti-siphon type.

Thanks again... I feel smarter now!

Old 05-29-2011, 11:45 AM

2,903 posts, read 12,529,910 times
So......are you sure it is leaking? As I said in my post, they are designed to "leak" for a moment with any pressure fluctuation.

As to the others, you do not need to replace the valves to upgrade. Any hardware store or big box store sells anti siphon adapters that screw between the valve, also known as a hosebib or sillcock, and your hose. they cost less than $5.

Frank

Old 05-29-2011, 11:50 AM

6,292 posts, read 10,591,088 times
We had one do that broke. I cut it off with a hacksaw. Problem solved!!!

I should add mine didn't look like yours though. Guy at the hardware store told me not to worry about not having it on there.

Old 05-29-2011, 12:04 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,615,184 times
Ahh for the good old days of plain ol' frost frees. Yea, the 'anti siphon' gizmos are part of the whole backflow prevention bandwagon, and have the virtue of making a pile of money for building depts and manufacturers. If one is concerned about backing oooy goooy into the household pipes a palin old swing check behind a frost free will do the same thing. I have done a LOT of backflow installation, and from close examination of these devices have concluded they are nothing more than an overcomplicated check valve. "Anti siphon' bibs are nothing more than a vaccum breaker on a hose bib that opens to atmosphere and drains the line upon depressurizing. Yea, we can't just have tap points anymore, gotta sell them gizmos.

Old 05-29-2011, 12:09 PM

23,587 posts, read 70,350,712 times
Can't really argue that a check valve does the same basic task. The anti-siphon is as likely for the ease of inspection as anything.

Old 05-29-2011, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithfulFrank View Post
So......are you sure it is leaking? As I said in my post, they are designed to "leak" for a moment with any pressure fluctuation.

As to the others, you do not need to replace the valves to upgrade. Any hardware store or big box store sells anti siphon adapters that screw between the valve, also known as a hosebib or sillcock, and your hose. they cost less than $5.

Frank
Yes, It's definitely leaking. When we turn on the water, it sprays out about two feet the whole time the water is on. Makes a mess all around the faucet every time I try to water the flowers or the lawn. Thanks for the information about the adapters. We'll take a look later this week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House