Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 10:21 PM

284 posts, read 617,108 times

Advertisements

Planning to buy a house, it was listed as double lot. According to the realtor, one of the lots is shared, and checking the county record, it listed the other owner.
I assume if I were to buy the house, I will have to share the lot with the other owner and I doubt he will sell the his share to me, what potential problems will I be looking into if I were to share a lot?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2011, 11:09 PM

23,602 posts, read 70,446,439 times
DO NOT BUY. "Shared?" lot? Report the Realtor.

Old 05-30-2011, 11:29 AM

the realtor was very clear that the lot is shared and only the brochure was wrong.
The previous owner brought the house for 3 years and I think the lot had been shared in the previous 3 years. I suspected they are paying the property tax in alternate year.
The property has 1 1/2 log (say lot 5 and lot 6 with log lot 6 shared) he house was built on the lot 5. Is there anyway to officially split the lot 6 to lot 6a and lot 6b.

Does anyone experience it? what will the problem be down the run? say the other owner not paying for property tax??

Old 05-30-2011, 11:32 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,668,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
DO NOT BUY. "Shared?" lot? Report the Realtor.
Why would you say that Harry? I also would not like it but she said the Realtor did disclose it. Just wonderin why you were short and strong on your answer.

I also believe the other half owner would not sell, so why not have them buy your half? Or is the lot too small otherwise. I been around a long time and never heard of a shared deeded lot. Strange.

Old 05-30-2011, 12:13 PM

45,426 posts, read 60,623,477 times
It might be one of those deals where the locality abandoned an unused right of way and the adjoining property owners each got 1/2 of the abutting area, although that is usually deeded separately and added to the original deeds.

If it's a standard sized lot then if it's split up you'd probably be looking at a non-confroming lot size that can't be sold to be built on.

I'd steer away from this unless it gets cleared up to your satisfaction. It sounds strange to me.

Old 05-30-2011, 01:34 PM

201 posts, read 470,255 times
Just do your due diligence with this item as you will with every aspect of the transaction. Don't be afraid without knowing the facts. If it is a shared lot, not just joint ownership, then there will be a shared lot agreement. Get a copy of it and review it. If it does not meet your satisfaction then don't buy this house. Just because some people have never heard of a shared lot doesn't mean it is a big scary problem. In fact it may be a very good thing.

Old 05-30-2011, 02:35 PM

thanks for all the responses. DH really likes the location.
both my lot and the shared lot are around 0.15 acre each, without the shared lot, it will be small. When I went to the county and did an open record search, I found each of the owner took alternate year ownership (note the previous owner only bought it in 2007), then this year when the owner wants to sell the house, the record showed both owners.

One problem I can see is that what if the other owner refuses to pay the property tax, will I be responsible? If I do purchase, I will definitely check with my real estate attorney, but I am trying to find out what other info do I need...It is a good idea to ask for the shared lot agreement....
any suggestions are welcome.

Old 05-30-2011, 07:42 PM

733 posts, read 4,655,129 times
You "checked with the county" and found it "listed the other owner." Who owns the lot? It got deeded to somebody. If the deed runs to the "other owner" it's not a "shared lot" [which is something I've never heard of but I realize I am not omniscient] it belongs to the "other owner." The title records will disclose who owns what.

Old 05-30-2011, 09:34 PM

what I found was that one year, the other person listed as the owner, then the past year, the current owner listed as owner of the shared lot. Then in this, 2011, both names listed as owner....
From what I read so far, it seems to be very uncommon... I better check with the realtor and, if I do buy, will have to check with the attorney...

there seems to be a lot of potential problems, say what happens if someone gets hurt...

Old 05-30-2011, 10:21 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,083,010 times
This sounds like a wooded lot that is between the two properties.

It sounds to me like the owners bought the lot jointly to prevent another house from being built between the two.

It's a brilliant idea because it protects your privacy and space, while splitting the tax burden at the same time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House