Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2011, 07:44 PM

519 posts, read 3,906,351 times

Advertisements

So a strong gust a wind knocked my soffit vent cover off. While the cover was off, I had some birds fly in and decide to make a home... in my home.

Now that I want to put this soffit vent cover back on, how do I get these birds out? I think they have a nest inside the eave too but I"m not sure.

Do I cover the soffit vent and keep the birds out? If I do that, what happens if birds get trapped inside?

The attic floor is covered so its not like they are flying around up there either.
They have one way in and out, and that is thru the soffit vent that lost the cover.

Help?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2011, 07:25 AM

2,088 posts, read 2,976,157 times
I had this happen a couple of years ago. I had to wait till I knew everyone moved out, then fixed the area. Mama still comes back looking to see if she can get in again, she gives up after a few days and moves on. I cringed at the thought of baby birds dying in there. Best to wait it out in my opinion.

Old 05-30-2011, 07:39 AM

6,293 posts, read 10,530,458 times
Climb up there and get them out!!!! We had birds destroy our duct work!!! The repairs (not covered by insurance) were not cheep!!! Not to mention the extra electric we spent cooling our attic!

Old 05-30-2011, 09:18 AM

129 posts, read 522,945 times
Birds must be out.
You may want to consider a composite vent, which doesn't deteriorate like wood. Bought and made to spec from a local building center ( not the blue or orange box centers )

Remove the screen, pre-paint and staple back on the screen before attaching with screws.

Why not erect a birdhouse tribute on a pole?

Old 05-30-2011, 09:34 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,066 posts, read 80,118,318 times
We had that problem with a starling, the darned thing ended up inside a wall and I had to cut out the sheetrock in the living room to get him out. I'd stake out the area from a chair, and when it leaves to get stuff to build the nest, get up the ladder quick and cover the hole.

Old 05-30-2011, 12:41 PM

519 posts, read 3,906,351 times
It's gonna be very difficult for me to get them out.
Only one way in and if I start with my hand or some stick, all I'm gonna do is push them back into a corner. A corner I won't be able to reach into.

Crud... I think I have to wait for all them to leave. How can I close the vent and trap them inside?
Then what, dead birds rotting in my house?

Thanks everyone for your help.
Glad to see I'm not the only one this has happened to, LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House