U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-01-2011, 02:01 PM
 
Location: Corvallis, OR
43 posts, read 206,225 times
Reputation: 34

Advertisements

Hey all,

We are trying to find out if doing a living roof is possible on our house.
I'm not sure what the sq of the roof is, but the house is 2 stories, 1000sq each story. Pitch is 8 1/2. And it was built in 1914.

I have two questions -

1) The planning dept needs us to find out if this is a truss roof or stick. How would I find that out?

2) Has anyone on this forum done anything like this before? Know someone who has done it? I've been looking for examples, testimonials, products, but this type of roof still seems experimental...

Apparently our town has had only 2 people even inquire about doing a green roof and they both backed off after learning how heavy the eco roof would be.

Thanks for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-01-2011, 02:12 PM
 
Location: Visitation between Wal-Mart & Home Depot
8,308 posts, read 35,011,110 times
Reputation: 7115
I'm afraid that I don't really have any useful input, but I'm assuming that when you say eco roof you are referring to having sod and turf growing on top of the house. Is that right?

Here's a decent link to help explain the difference between stick and truss roofing. http://www.hometips.com/how-it-works/roof-framing-stick-trusses.html (broken link)

Essentially, if you have open space in the attic with rafters rising up to a ridge beam with additional support from purlins here-and-there then it's stick framed. If it's a truss roof you will have, well, trusses in the attic space.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2011, 02:26 PM
 
Location: The Triad (NC)
29,713 posts, read 64,727,408 times
Reputation: 34611
1914? 99.99999999999999% chance = stick.
poke your self up into the attic with a flashlight and camera...
and measuring tape.

take some measurements and some pics...
then give that data to a **structural engineer**
---
meanwhile look at this:
A Low Impact Woodland Home
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2011, 03:19 PM
 
Location: Corvallis, OR
43 posts, read 206,225 times
Reputation: 34
Thank you both - that helps.

Yep, sod & turf. Eco roof, green roof, living roof. everyone seems to call it something different. There are a few other options though with lighter growing material since dirt is so heavy.

First we're figuring out if we can even handle the weight... then have to figure out how to keep it from just sliding off to the ground
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2011, 03:26 PM
 
29,986 posts, read 37,963,638 times
Reputation: 12782
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombiestare View Post
Hey all,

We are trying to find out if doing a living roof is possible on our house.
I'm not sure what the sq of the roof is, but the house is 2 stories, 1000sq each story. Pitch is 8 1/2. And it was built in 1914.

I have two questions -

1) The planning dept needs us to find out if this is a truss roof or stick. How would I find that out?

2) Has anyone on this forum done anything like this before? Know someone who has done it? I've been looking for examples, testimonials, products, but this type of roof still seems experimental...

Apparently our town has had only 2 people even inquire about doing a green roof and they both backed off after learning how heavy the eco roof would be.

Thanks for any help!
You really should have a structural engineer take a look at your roof's structure and figure out the load it can carry. Re-enforcement may be necessary when green roofs have snow on top of them. Green roof failure (a.k.a. collapse) is not unheard of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2011, 03:28 PM
 
Location: The Triad (NC)
29,713 posts, read 64,727,408 times
Reputation: 34611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombiestare View Post
First we're figuring out if we can even handle the weight...
let me save you the trouble then... NO.

Quote:
then have to figure out how to keep it from just sliding off to the ground
I want to see how you get the lawn mower up there
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2011, 03:33 PM
 
29,986 posts, read 37,963,638 times
Reputation: 12782
Personally, I think growing spruce trees on the roof is a bit over the top.

The Grass Roofs of Norway | Amusing Planet
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2011, 04:22 PM
 
Location: Corvallis, OR
43 posts, read 206,225 times
Reputation: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
You really should have a structural engineer take a look at your roof's structure and figure out the load it can carry. Re-enforcement may be necessary when green roofs have snow on top of them. Green roof failure (a.k.a. collapse) is not unheard of.
We will - an engineer has to sign off on it before the city will. Just gathering info at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
let me save you the trouble then... NO.
Yeah, thats a high probability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
I want to see how you get the lawn mower up there
No need for it to be grass. Probably will go with some sedum mix, which seems to be the most popular. No mowing required.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Personally, I think growing spruce trees on the roof is a bit over the top.

The Grass Roofs of Norway | Amusing Planet
If only
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2011, 04:49 PM
 
Location: Johns Creek, GA
13,176 posts, read 50,689,171 times
Reputation: 15394
The roof is stick built- especially on a house built in 1914. And that would all have to come down, build essentially what would be a flat roof and support with no telling what depending on what you put on it. In other-words, it's not just the roof- it's the walls and the foundation.
Consider using your resources for other more practical "earth friendly" endeavours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2011, 05:09 PM
 
Location: The Triad (NC)
29,713 posts, read 64,727,408 times
Reputation: 34611
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Consider using your resources for other more practical "earth friendly" endeavours.
I tried to offer such a suggestion!
but I don't think he even looked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top