Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 01:08 AM

890 posts, read 2,280,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
I always avoid touchpads. I can't imagine that they won't eventually malfunction. In some things, it's practically impossible to avoid them these days and a microwave is one of them. I would NEVER buy a touch screen computer. Seems like a recipe for a nasty repair bill. Wish I had some advice -- best of luck getting yours fixed without breaking the bank.
I had a touch screen computer for 3 years. It was perfectly functional with a mouse and keyboard so even if the touchscreen capabilities stopped working it would have still been a great all-in-one computer. Now if the entire screen went out, yes it would have been expensive, but this is a problem with any all-in-one computer, not just touchscreens. As for buying an appliance that relies solely on a touchscreen, I would never! (Unless of course it came with a fantastic warranty) My refrigerator water/ice dispenser worries me as the option buttons are touch. At least the fridge would still function if the buttons were to go out for some reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2013, 12:37 PM

1 posts, read 2,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aj1234 View Post
My touch screen started acting finicky also. After looking at the cost of replacement I figured what to heck nothing to lose so I took it completely apart. I then cleaned both the back side of the plastic attached to the face panel with a LITTLE bit of Windex and also the LCD display module. I reassembled everything and now my microwave works like new.
Note: The LCD display module is stuck to the face panel with some sticky tape something like 2 sided tape so it comes apart a little hard but with a little careful prying it came apart. I also was careful not to clean over the tape so I could re-stick the LCD panel.

How difficult is it to access the membrane touchpad? I'm game to give it a try rather than spend $548 to purchase the control assembly from GE.

Old 07-17-2013, 12:49 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,464,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark66216 View Post
How difficult is it to access the membrane touchpad? I'm game to give it a try rather than spend $548 to purchase the control assembly from GE.
What's the model number?

Old 07-19-2013, 11:41 AM

5,356 posts, read 18,544,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark66216 View Post
The handle to our microwave broke off and there are no visible screws holding it on. After another couple of years super gluing it back on several times, I found a youtube video on how to remove the back panel on the door and a new handle is now in place. You might do a search to see if someone made a how-to video.

Old 07-19-2013, 08:52 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,217,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aj1234 View Post
My touch screen started acting finicky also. After looking at the cost of replacement I figured what to heck nothing to lose so I took it completely apart. I then cleaned both the back side of the plastic attached to the face panel with a LITTLE bit of Windex and also the LCD display module. I reassembled everything and now my microwave works like new.
Note: The LCD display module is stuck to the face panel with some sticky tape something like 2 sided tape so it comes apart a little hard but with a little careful prying it came apart. I also was careful not to clean over the tape so I could re-stick the LCD panel.
Years ago when microwaves first started using touchpads, I worked at a manufacturer doing exploded drawings and happened to share the office with the repair technician. He showed me how to take of the panel and dust it. The number one problem with them, according to him, was dust breaking the connection of the touchpad. When I got my first over the stove microwave with a built in filter and air return sure enough the touchpad stopped working. I had to take it apart monthly, if not more, and clean it regularly for the 19 years. I didn't use anything on it like windex, just dusted it. Other than that it worked great.

Not sure how the OP's microwave works or how to get the panal off, but it's worth a try if you can. Unplug it first of course.

Old 09-10-2013, 06:44 PM

1 posts, read 2,578 times
aj1234,
Would you please explain me how did you take it apart?
I can't afford $259 repair fee and need to fix it by myself...
Thanks in advance!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House