Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2017, 03:15 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times

Advertisements

I do not want another house. If we leave this house, I would like to get a really nice trailer or RV on a big chunk of land so we can pack up and move around after we retire. Maybe a good sized garage/barn for storage of stuff we do not want to take with us, and for parties.

However I probably will not get what I want. Difficult thing in life - it is not all about me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2017, 01:33 PM

15,946 posts, read 12,276,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Im not sure if I'll ever move again, but if I do I'd never buy or build another house over a crawlspace (or basement), there's just too many issues with humidity and mold down here in the South, and as you get older the steps get to be annoying. A house on a concrete slab just feels so much more solid and well built, you can jog on a treadmill without feeling like the whole house is shaking.
In the upper midwest using below grade areas as living space is par for the course. A benefit to this is piping is easily accessible without having to jackhammer into the concrete and water pipes are protected from freezing, among other things. A little known trick to reduce basement smell in a reasonably modern home that has drain tile and sump pits is to install radon mitigation, which sucks air from underneath the cement slab and ejects it out the roof. Reduces humidity and odors. In my particular county it's typical to have radon levels of 10-30 pci/l and yet nobody around here even knows about radon.. my home tested 25 pci/l with both my tester and the radon guy's and afterwards was 0.7 and the basement smell was gone.

Anyways my house has most of what I like... it could use more circuits and is not up to modern electrical code in places but it's built well enough, with plenty of attic insulation, good ventilation, no moisture issues, decent layout, and low ceilings don't bother me as it's more energy efficient... it's vaulted ceilings that I don't like, because that means you compromise space in the attic for insulation and/or a big roof antenna and room to move around up there.

I would always want a dishwasher... the one that came with my house, I can load plates caked with ketchup, glasses that were used to mix whey protein shakes, etc. and they come out sparkling clean.. all the prewashing my relatives do in my case is completely unnecessary.

Having 2 stall garage that's attached.. very nice.

I'm not that picky.. but I wouldn't want a home with wallpaper or paneling.. I like plaster and/or drywall with light texture that I can paint. Not a fan of big wood decks because it's just a big maintenance and expense item.. I'd rather just grill on a small cement slab or my lawn.. much cheaper. Not a fan of split foyers with elevated main floor that require use of a big deck that is elevated above the grade of the yard.. I'd rather have the patio be at the level of the lawn ala a ranch style home.

I want to be 1/4+ mile from train tracks and off a major artery for traffic... check. Overall the house I got meets most all my qualifications.

Last edited by sholomar; 02-14-2017 at 01:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House