Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2011, 11:04 AM

2 posts, read 9,917 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any idea where in the Washington DC area that I can get Kraftmaid kitchen cabinets at a reasonable cost.

This cabinet brand is carried by the big box stores and many smaller dealers. I have gotten estimates from Lowes & Home Depot; basically they give about 15% off list price, taking the price from about $10k down to $8,500 for cabinets only (no installation or counter tops) for cherry with plywood in key places. I think this is ridiculous. I have discussed with two small design/build companies that has really not worked out; they really want to sell their installation services.

I would appreciate some advice and wisdom. I will install myself (have done so before), and will select granite from different supplier after cabinets are taken care of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2011, 11:26 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,945,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarenceY View Post
Kraftmaid kitchen cabinets at a reasonable cost in DC.
this is both subjective and conditional...

Quote:
I would appreciate some advice and wisdom.
yet you still came to C-D?

Quote:
I will install myself...
now we're getting down to it...
find a distributor NOT in DC and ideally not anywhere even close to DC.

Old 06-10-2011, 11:59 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times
You may be surprised at both how much better the price AND quality can be for cabinets that come from a firm that does not have as much overhead as the one mentioned...

Old 06-10-2011, 03:29 PM

777 posts, read 1,872,367 times
Kitchen and Bath Depot, Boiling Brook Pkwy, Rockville, Kitchens, Bathrooms, Remodeling, Shower Doors, Bath Liners, Walk-in Tubs| Kitchen & Bath Depot | MD, DC carries KraftMaid. A friend of mine wanted Kraftmaid and looked there. Sorry - can't recall if the price was any better than the big box stores...worth a phone call perhaps.

Old 06-10-2011, 08:06 PM

40 posts, read 190,755 times
Check on Conestoga Cabinetry, these cabinets have to be assembled(by yourself or a cabinet maker) but they are much better quality than Kraftmade for close to the same price. The differnce is their craftsman line is a FULL ply box and the shelves and drawer boxes are real maple wood and not particle board. Check out the videos on YouTube and www.conestogawood.com for more information. My customers love these cabinets and I've had zero issues on callbacks or defects caused by delivery or production line. I go through a local cabinet maker that orders and assembles and he brings them to the job for me and makes sure they are Perfect
Forget Kraftmade... PM me if you need some more info

Todd Stull
Enola, PA

Old 06-10-2011, 08:56 PM

158 posts, read 379,615 times
Try designercabinetsonline.com. They will e-mail a quote for the total price of Kraftmaid cabinets.

Matt

Old 06-11-2011, 10:54 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,653,116 times
Quote:
Does anyone have any idea where in the Washington DC area that I can get Kraftmaid kitchen cabinets at a reasonable cost.

This cabinet brand is carried by the big box stores and many smaller dealers. I have gotten estimates from Lowes & Home Depot; basically they give about 15% off list price, taking the price from about $10k down to $8,500 for cabinets only (no installation or counter tops) for cherry with plywood in key places. I think this is ridiculous. I have discussed with two small design/build companies that has really not worked out; they really want to sell their installation services.

I would appreciate some advice and wisdom. I will install myself (have done so before), and will select granite from different supplier after cabinets are taken care of.
Clarence I know you wrote me already. I'm traveling now and just can't answer all the questions people write me each day as quickly as I always do.
Go to the Kraftmaid web site. There will be a place to type in your zip code for the nearest dealers to you. I carry Kraftmaid and thinking of dropping it. People are just not spending that kind of money anymore on their homes which is nothing but a depreciating asset anymore and will not likely change anytime soon.

Kraftmaid is quite high priced, it is a quality product indeed. The 15% discount from list price you mentioned, the big box stores are offering you nothing. The manufacturer is offering that discount to their dealers and only some of the dealers choose to pass that to their customers. Whatever the case 15% is 15%...who cares if you can buy them cheaper then you win....right?

Well not so fast. As I always tell people, shop your local small kitchen dealers. Most all offer at least 50% off list. Some will advertise that fact on their web site and some will not. You will have to do some leg work and make some phone calls. But the payoff is big. Sorry you had 2 bad experiences with what I speak of. But that is no different then the bad experience you had at Walmart or your grocery store last time you shopped. But you think of the experience differently because you go to those stores once or twice per week forever. You will only visit a kitchen store perhaps once or twice in your entire life.

If you still fail let me know. I don't have any contacts in Washington that I can think of. Quite a few kitchen dealers have dropped their high cost products to focus on very inexpensive cabinetry. That's all that's selling these days. And yet many more have bit the dust forever. Spending a lot of money on a home during these deep depression times is just not a real good move.

Old 06-11-2011, 11:43 AM

2 posts, read 9,917 times
Default Thanks

Thanks for everyone's help, it is really appreciated.

You are probably correct about sizable investments in a home during these economic times. Fortunately, I am the original owner from 32 years ago, home was paid for many years ago, and the original builder grade cabinets have about seen their last days.

I appreciate your comments about the Kraftmaid cabinets. Can you, or any other forum participant suggest any brand of comparable quality that would be lower priced, or represented by a dealer that would be more reasonable.

Thanks, I appreciate everyone's help on this.

Old 06-11-2011, 11:55 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,653,116 times
Quote:
Thanks for everyone's help, it is really appreciated.

You are probably correct about sizable investments in a home during these economic times. Fortunately, I am the original owner from 32 years ago, home was paid for many years ago, and the original builder grade cabinets have about seen their last days.

I appreciate your comments about the Kraftmaid cabinets. Can you, or any other forum participant suggest any brand of comparable quality that would be lower priced, or represented by a dealer that would be more reasonable.

Thanks, I appreciate everyone's help on this.
Extreme budget cabinets that are AMERICAN MADE would be Kitchen Kompact. They are very inexpensive but not cause they are junky. They are are actually high quality all wood construction. The reason they are inexpensive are they have only 2 colors and 2 wood species choices. That allows the manufacturer to sell real cheap.

I have to recommend to you Merillat. I been with them for more then 30 years, that should say something. They have a budget line called Essentials. Again...limited options, colors and choices but good quality. If you were looking at Kraftmaid then you may have the budget for Merillat Classic. You just can not lose with what is offered. Great great product!! And guess what? Merillat is Kraftmaid as well as Quality cabinets. All Masco companies with interchangeable parts. Masco is the largest home improvement product company on earth. Your faucets, flooring and other items in your home are all Masco companies.

If you go to the Merillat web site my advice is the same. Locate your nearest dealer by zip code. You want to choose the store/s that are "signature" dealers. That word is listed there and will likely be the deep discounted high volume dealer.
Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House