Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 03:53 PM

73 posts, read 267,329 times

Advertisements

I bought a patch kit and took off the old yellow power switch to the fan. I wanted to seal it off and just use the remote control to turn the fan off and on but know I'm remembering that I need to leave the power on at the wall for the remote to even work.

The question is, can I just install a standard switch, put it inside the wall turned on and then put the patch kit over it? Or is it possible to just connect the wires so that power is constantly running to the fan?

(There are three white wires right now sticking out)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2011, 04:00 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,766,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarveytheRabbit View Post
I bought a patch kit and took off the old yellow power switch to the fan. I wanted to seal it off and just use the remote control to turn the fan off and on but know I'm remembering that I need to leave the power on at the wall for the remote to even work.

The question is, can I just install a standard switch, put it inside the wall turned on and then put the patch kit over it? Or is it possible to just connect the wires so that power is constantly running to the fan?

(There are three white wires right now sticking out)
A junction box must be accessible to be code compliant. You can cover the box in the wall with a blank faceplate, but you can not seal it if you want it to be legal (even if you remove the switch and just twist the wires together) and you probably want to be able to get in there without demoing the wall if you need to fix/change something.

Don't do it, bro.

Old 06-13-2011, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
A junction box must be accessible to be code compliant. You can cover the box in the wall with a blank faceplate, but you can not seal it if you want it to be legal and you probably want to be able to get in there without demoing the wall if you need to fix/change something.

Don't do it, bro.
I think I could put one of those plastic plates on, but do I just connect certain wires or put an actual light switch behind there turned on to power the fan?

Old 06-13-2011, 04:38 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,766,834 times
Quote:
I think I could put one of those plastic plates on, but do I just connect certain wires or put an actual light switch behind there turned on to power the fan?
Out of curiosity, why do you want to get rid of the switch?

How many wires are in there?

How old is this house?

Old 06-13-2011, 05:09 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,875,208 times
If you just want it wired on, you don't need the switch, but as stated the box must have access. It's against code to cover a junction box.

Old 06-13-2011, 07:51 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Quote:
I find it utterly amazing that people come to this forum to seek sound advice about a problem or concern- and find some way to dismiss the obviously sound advise given.
When someone says it's this way or that because it's code- It's Code For a Reason!
It not just for your safety- it's for every-one's safety! Your family, friends, neighbors, and those that will follow behind you when you leave that house.
I'll state unequivocally that interpretation of the code can be entirely different from it's intended use. With that said, yes there is a product that you can use to "splice" wires together that doesn't require a traditional "junction box". As defined by the NEC (National Electric Code) this product does meet the requirements. However, in the same breath I'll say that they are prone to failure (as in lose of current- not failure, as in fire hazard). And for the sake of every-one's safety I will refrain from naming this particular item publicly.
I still say that an accessible "j-box" is the preferred method.

Harvey-
Blk to Blk
Wht to Wht
grd to grd (that's the bare wire) no switch(s). Just wire nuts and a blank cover plate. Leave simple... well, simple.

Old 06-14-2011, 01:56 PM

OK after a lot of checking things out this is where I'm at,

I have three cables, each housing a black wire a white wire and a ground inside. One of these cables goes to the lights in the kitchen, one goes up to the fan box and the other, I'm assuming, brings the power. The person before me connected the three ground wires together, the three black wires are also together but only two of the white wires are, the other one, that goes to the fan, is hanging loose.

So it looks like I have two choices, tie all three white wires together and basically have a constant source of power to the new fan I'm installing (which I can then turn on and off with the included remote) and then just put a blank panel over the whole mess. But I'm wondering is there an issue with leaving constant power running to a fan/light with only a remote controlling it?

Or should I just install a single switch that will control power to the fan? What wires do I connect?
Would I put the white one into the bottom screw as the constant, undo one black for the top screw-in and also undo one of the three connected grounds?

A lot of things I know but I'm always concerned when dealing with electricity.
Attached Thumbnails
Installing ceiling fan remote control, want to patch over the original power switch in the on position?-outlet.jpg  

Last edited by HarveytheRabbit; 06-14-2011 at 02:07 PM..

Old 06-14-2011, 03:44 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
No offense, but you don't sound very confident / skilled when it comes to electrical wiring.

If your goal is to have the switch "always on" just get one of these; UNIVERSAL WALL SWITCH LOCKOUT - Accuform Signs

You could spray paint it white or whatever color will make it least objectionable....

Old 06-14-2011, 05:35 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,880,155 times
Considering your self admitted lack of experience and knowledge of electricity, get an electrician to do what you want in a safe and neat manner. It could save you a fire and injury or death.

Old 06-16-2011, 07:03 PM

17,208 posts, read 57,041,396 times
I'm still amazed you want to get rid of the switch - just leave the switch turned on and use the remote, if the remote fails some time (or should I say when) you can still control the fan with the switch...

Dittos to the comments already made about how this can be done to code, and why it's important to do it to code, and why if you don't know what you are doing, you will be better off calling a pro...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House