Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2011, 03:31 PM

18 posts, read 66,208 times

Advertisements

I want to replace several door knobs and deadbolts. Other than the differing levels of security, does it matter what brand I get? Will all brands fit on all doors?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2011, 02:00 AM

20,245 posts, read 36,919,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike932 View Post
I want to replace several door knobs and deadbolts. Other than the differing levels of security, does it matter what brand I get? Will all brands fit on all doors?
In my view it's a lot better to use one brand. For example, I just replaced the deadbolts and door knobs (lower locks) on three of my home's doors. I bought three each 2-set Schlage locks (each set has a deadbolt, and a regular lock with knobs). However, one key unlocks the six locks. All I did was to match one serial number on top of the carton to two more cartons, so now I had three matching sets.

These new lock-sets come with three keys. The third key is sort of silver/blue color, and it's not a regular key, but a sort of "re-coring" key. Since I din't want just one key to unlock all the door locks, I used this silver key to change the core in each of the lower locks. To accomplish this, I used another silver key that's pretty much identical to the silver key that came with the locks, except that this key has a different cut. So,

a. I inserted the silver/blue "re-coring key" in the keyhole of the lower door lock, turned it 30 degrees CCW, and pulled it out. Then I inserted the silver key that has a different cut in the keyhole, and turned it CW to the 12 O'Clock position, and the little cylinders in the core clicked in place. That's all there is to it Now I use the key that came with the locks on the deadbolt locks to unlock all, and use the new key to unlock all the lower door locks. Always keep the silver key that came with the locks in a safe place in case that you need it again.
-------
That said, before buying door locks I would advise that you talk to a local locksmith to see if he (or she) can figure if the locks in you house can be recored, since sometimes this is a lot cheaper than buying new locks.

Old 06-24-2011, 06:35 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,738,248 times
That's what I'd have thought, but quotes for recoring that I got recently were more expensive than just getting equivalent locks online.

Old 06-24-2011, 06:53 PM

20,245 posts, read 36,919,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
That's what I'd have thought, but quotes for recoring that I got recently were more expensive than just getting equivalent locks online.
Just visit your local Lowe's or Home Depot stores, and buy matching sets as I mentioned before. The sets of 2-locks each (deadbolt plus one with knobs) costs anywhere from $38.00 to $60.00 or so. If you match the lock number on the carton so that each set has the same number, then one key will open all the locks. But remember not to use the sort of "silver-blue" key to unlock the doors, since this one is used only for changing the core. It does not mean that you could not use it on an emergency, just that it's not designed to replace a regular key. Each set comes with two regular key, and the silver/blue one, so if you buy three sets you end-up with 6 regular keys, plus 3 coring keys.

Just remember that it's best for you to know how to do the work (replace door locks), because an easy job can often turn into a difficult and time consuming one

Old 06-24-2011, 10:59 PM

5,697 posts, read 19,079,021 times
I prefer to use the same brand so I have one key for every knob.

Old 06-25-2011, 08:05 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,512,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike932 View Post
I like to keep to one brand, many of the cheap clones do not have proper key holes and they may feel gritty or raspy when fitting the key in.

Watch the backset when buying locks and latches. There are two normal backsets 2 3/8 and 2 3/4, and I have installed some odd 6" latchsets.

Make sure the hole drilled on your door is the same as needed by the new lock, 2 1/8 is normal. I have installed some very old locks with a 1" hole instead of the 2 1/8"

Do not mix and match parts from lock to lock or even from your old locksets.

All of this is out the window if you have mortise locks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House