Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2011, 09:07 AM

50 posts, read 171,061 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I have had three different HVAC technicians come to my house in the past 2 months to try to fix my AC, but they still have not fixed the problem.

My A/C unit cools the air, but there no airflow on the second floor (can't feel any air coming out of the vents). All three techs said the unit is more than capable of cooling the house, and the unit is less than 5 years old.

Freon has been checked three times. No leaks.

Duct work has been cleaned and checked - no leaks. Ducts were clean as a whistle.

Exterior Compressor has been cleaned.

The latest guy thinks that the internal condensor (or evaporator, can't remember) may be dirty. The house was vacant for a year (foreclosure), so this makes sense.

My question is: Does a dirty internal coil affect the air flow? Does anyone have any other suggestion as to why this may not be cooling?

Thank you for any advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2011, 10:15 AM

23,600 posts, read 70,412,676 times
You had three techs come out and not one of them checked the coil? And you paid them??? Did any even bother to do temp checks at the registers? Your problem is less the system and more the lazy techs. Find a different company.

Old 06-27-2011, 10:32 AM

6,292 posts, read 10,599,904 times
I'm sure you checked for these, but with no airflow I think 2 things

1. Your damper is not properly adjusted
2. During the year your house was empty an animal got in and chewed a hole in your duct work. or your duct work came loose.

Old 06-27-2011, 05:18 PM

3,072 posts, read 8,415,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newlocustpt View Post
Hi All,

I have had three different HVAC technicians come to my house in the past 2 months to try to fix my AC, but they still have not fixed the problem.

My A/C unit cools the air, but there no airflow on the second floor (can't feel any air coming out of the vents). All three techs said the unit is more than capable of cooling the house, and the unit is less than 5 years old.

Freon has been checked three times. No leaks.

Duct work has been cleaned and checked - no leaks. Ducts were clean as a whistle.

Exterior Compressor has been cleaned.

The latest guy thinks that the internal condensor (or evaporator, can't remember) may be dirty. The house was vacant for a year (foreclosure), so this makes sense.

My question is: Does a dirty internal coil affect the air flow? Does anyone have any other suggestion as to why this may not be cooling?

Thank you for any advice!
Yes a dirty evap coil would affect air flow but it would affect it around the entire home and not just the upstairs as opposed to the downstairs. Without knowing more about your HVAC configuration I would go more for the reasons listed by Spazkat9696. If you can help us with a little more info we might be able to at least point you in a direction to look.
  1. Where are you located, your profile indicates MD? Building practices are different in different areas.
  2. How many Sq. Ft. is the home?
  3. Is this just one unit or do you have two?
  4. Where are the units located (upstairs, downstairs, etc.)?
  5. Do you have visibility to any of the ductwork to tell how it is routed? On the supply side is there a distribution plenum that might split the routing at one point between upstairs and downstairs?
  6. Do the downstairs vents have a very forceful flow or is it a weak flow?
As for the dirty evap coil they are easy to inspect and I am surprised none of the HVAC techs have at least removed the coil units access cover to view it. Was that performed?

Old 06-28-2011, 09:11 AM

3,503 posts, read 19,887,890 times
Do you have 2 systems and no one is lookign at both of them? Friends bought a house and could not get any air upstairs. It was discovered that the upper level had a seperate system they did not know they had. The unit was in the attic. it's a long shot, but worth mentioning to me.
The duct work needs to be checked if a one sytem house. No air on the second floor means the ductwork is blocked or disengaged.

Old 07-28-2011, 11:40 AM

50 posts, read 171,061 times
Thanks for the replies.

... The house is an old rowhome in downtown Baltimore - it was completely gutted and rehabbed in 2003. 1500 sq ft.

One system - Ducane 2.5 ton 10 Seer. (installed in 2003) Furnace+blower are in basement.

Downstairs has decent airflow - all but one register is shut completely in an effort to force air upstairs.

I have a home warranty, so they keep on sending guys who cannot fix the problem. I have had it charged with freon, had the internal condenser cleaned, outdoor compressor cleaned, and have had the ducts cleaned.

Cool air is blowing out on the first floor, and is just trickling out on second floor...First floor never gets to set temperature (thermostat is on first floor ), so the system runs forever.

There are two returns in the house, one on the first floor and one on the third floor. Is it possible that I can tap into the third floor return on the second floor to get more air flowing out of second floor?

I got an estimate for a new system the other day, and the guy who came to give the estimate said he thinks something is wrong with the furnace and blower.. can anyone shine some light on this?

Thank you so much for any advice!

Old 07-28-2011, 12:53 PM

366 posts, read 944,349 times
Do you have dampers in the duct work? If you do, did you open up the one all the way going to the second floor and close the one going to the first floor? I have a very similar situation (first floor cool, second floor not with very poor airflow).

Old 11-09-2014, 11:15 AM

1 posts, read 2,891 times
Did you ever figure this out? I have the exact same problem with mine. The 2 people I have talked to say that the furnace is too small, but I disagree with them. The furnace is 70,000btu output and the size of the house is 2,100sq ft. There are no dampers in the system. Air flow on the first story is good, but hardly anything if at all coming out the second story. Furnace is in the basement. I don't know what to do to get heat up stairs or any kind of airflow. Thermostat is set at 70, and the upstairs is at 58! We replaced the blower fan last winter because it went bad. We also have an outside wood burner attached to this furnace (heat exchanger on the furnace). I don't know why we aren't getting air flow up stairs. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House