Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2011, 01:47 PM

150 posts, read 289,306 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know how I can find floor plans of a house built in 1998? I found the builder, and emailed them without response.
we want to do an addition and having the existing plans would help to create a new idea
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2011, 04:04 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times
I don't really see the benefit of having the plans for an addition will help- where a rebuild (due to fire or other natural disaster) would.
Anyway, builders protect plans as if they were gold. Designers that sell plans to builders charge large sums of money. Those costs are giving the builder the right to use those plans to essentially make a profit. They don't give them away. And if builders (like designers) have their own plans they copyright them so others can't profit from "their" plan.
However, there may be a way "around" this. It could be of help- then again, it may yield nothing. Some convening authorities (C.A.) require plans be submitted with the permit application. Those plans will vary greatly in detail depending on the accuracy demanded by the C.A. Then again, depending on your particular locale- there maybe nothing.
As far as the addition- any certified remodeler or design/build firm will evaluate the present condition of a structure along with the current code(s), and zoning ordinates if they're worth anything at all. Anyone who doesn't, doesn't belong on your property.

Old 06-28-2011, 04:11 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dilaurorn View Post
Does anyone know how I can find floor plans of a house built in 1998? I found the builder, and emailed them without response.
we want to do an addition and having the existing plans would help to create a new idea

Yes, keep working the builder but also your county may have them - our county did. I forgot which department (engineering? building inspector?) Our county had them but they were in a county storage facility and someone had to go dig them out but it can be done.

Also, and this is what worked for us, try to find a long time neighbor. Our next door neighbor had the blue prints for the neighborhood. I took them to work and scanned portions of them.

Old 06-29-2011, 01:15 PM

150 posts, read 289,306 times
i know it seems silly but I only wanted them for myself, to get ideas of how to place the addition. I know we will have to have actual plans drawn for the new add.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House