Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2011, 08:04 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,466,742 times

Advertisements

Hi there,
Crappy situation I'm in, compounded by me being on maternity leave and bleeding savings by the hour...

It's 102 here in TX and woke up to NO AIR. I thought it was probably due to Freon leakage or something, but found out that the worst case scenario - the compressor being hosed -- is now a reality. We have two AC units, one is a replacement (the downstairs unit's compressor also got hosed last year and was replaced) and the other is the original 6 year builder's grade Carrier. This is the one that has died. Should we both purchasing a new compressor, or should we get a new unit? Some more factoids: we found out that the tonnage for the existing AC is not proper for our size home -- 2.5! It uses Freon, whereas Freon is going the way of the Dodo. New unit would be in full compliance with new refrigerant and energy efficient. Price difference between compressor and new unit is 2.5K. Ouch.

We're really bummed out over this. Thanks in advance.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2011, 08:11 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
The HVAC **system** includes several components... none of which wear out evenly.
It is entirely reasonable to replace the condensing unit by itself.
---
Going from 2T to 2.5T shouldn't be an issue in and of itself.
The **type** of refrigerant gas ("Freon" is a brand name) needs to match the coil inside the house.

hth

Old 06-28-2011, 10:27 PM

23,587 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Purge system properly and replace drier and compressor. If the rest of the system has no problems, it should last another six years.

Old 06-30-2011, 01:33 PM

1,322 posts, read 4,236,259 times
i am in the same predicament myself. my a/c stopped working 2 weeks ago. it is a 3.5 ton, i think 12 SEER unit. the compressor is shot. we have priced out replacing the entire unit (upgrade to 16SEER), replacing just the outside unit, and just replacing the compressor (for financial reasons). all of the companies are pushing for a full upgrade, but i dont have 8K to spend on that right now. on the other hand i am sweating like a dam pig. i am leaning towards replacing just the compressor or maybe the outside unit instead of the entire in/outdoor unit. thats just too much $. i dont know what the hell to do.

Old 07-01-2011, 04:59 AM

445 posts, read 1,604,700 times
IF you are 100% sure its the compressor OK - but around here (Forest Acrres -Columbia SC), if you are not carefull you can get screwedddddd. Case in point - Company "2W" installed a brand new system with new duct and relocated outside unit - BUT did not put in a filtration unit... after many complaints about air quaility etc. they let it go..One year annual checkup - tech shows up from same company not knowing who installed system and is blown away by "the idiots that installed the system with no filtration" He was told that his company did the install....

Lady across street from this house had tech from a different company show up to look at her system and was quoted $800 to repair.. Lady spoke to my dad and he suggested a neighbor who was in the business... Cost to repair $45

Bottom line: Get a second opinion if any doubt Times are tough and not everyone is 90% honest....

Old 07-12-2011, 02:29 PM

710 posts, read 3,390,954 times
You probably already got this sorted, but shopping for AC in july is terrible. Sounds like if your system is charged correctly, that a compressor failure (make sure it wasn't something simple like a capacitor or the fuse) was unexpected. Some companies have a 10 years parts, 1 year labor policy.

If the condenser is still under a parts warranty, I'd just have a new compressor installed, and make sure the charge is right.

What did you end up doing?

Old 07-12-2011, 03:32 PM

1,322 posts, read 4,236,259 times
not sure if your only asking the OP. but i havent done anything yet!! still sweating my ass off!! everyone wants to sell a brand new unit. im having a hard time finding a new outdoor unit that is compatable with my indoor unit. they keep saying that it is "obsolete." im pissed.

Old 07-12-2011, 05:51 PM

23,587 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Buy a window unit to give yourself some breathing room. Keep looking. Another thought is to check Craigslist.

Old 03-20-2013, 10:06 AM

13,447 posts, read 15,466,742 times
Hi, I'm reviving this old thread just to say that we ended up having to get a new unit and thanks for the advice. It was painful and there were other subsequent issues, but overall it was for the best. The increased tonnage made a lot of difference -- our original tonnage was 5 tons for a home that's over 4000 sq ft. The builder grade ACs are the worst and I've been hearing that they do not hold up well over time. The posters who mentioned second opinions and perhaps it could be a capacitor issue gave very sage advice that should be looked into. It wasn't the capacitor, but my friend nearly got screwed by another HVAC company claiming "compressor" when it really was a fault capacitor. The difference in $ isn't insignificant.

Old 03-20-2013, 10:20 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,679,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Hi, I'm reviving this old thread just to say that we ended up having to get a new unit and thanks for the advice. It was painful and there were other subsequent issues, but overall it was for the best. The increased tonnage made a lot of difference -- our original tonnage was 5 tons for a home that's over 4000 sq ft. The builder grade ACs are the worst and I've been hearing that they do not hold up well over time. The posters who mentioned second opinions and perhaps it could be a capacitor issue gave very sage advice that should be looked into. It wasn't the capacitor, but my friend nearly got screwed by another HVAC company claiming "compressor" when it really was a fault capacitor. The difference in $ isn't insignificant.
Wow, the baby must be walking by now!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House