Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 05:40 AM

445 posts, read 1,604,922 times

Advertisements

italian antique ice box | Mercato Antiques | Direct Importers of Italian Antiques and Vintage Pieces

This looks like my ice box - I can't find any "coils" to clean
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2011, 11:51 AM

23,591 posts, read 70,383,686 times
$4800, and no coils? LOL! Oh well, we have a pie safe that doesn't even have a combination lock.

Old 07-11-2011, 05:08 PM

5,119 posts, read 16,594,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
I will add to what others have said: that you can use one of the soft "feather-like" dusting brushes used to dust window blinds to clean the coils while vacuuming them. The brush dislodges the lint from the coils, and the vacuum cleaner sucks them out of there. Do this at least once per month.

Another hint: grab the range hood's aluminum filters (above the stove, in case you don't know), and put them in the dishwasher to wash along the dishes, at least twice a month if you cook every day. These get coated with greasy smoke, and a hot wash usually takes care of it.
I vacuumed mine over the weekend and of course, the crevice tool on the vacuum hose only allows to go back so far. Thanks for the idea to use the duster. I had that out cleaning all my ceiling fan blades.

I've never removed or washed those aluminum filters above the stove. My microhood (which has the fan and filters under it) is 7 years old. I don't use my stove top much though. I'll be sure to check those out and see how dirty they are.

Old 07-11-2011, 08:38 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,171,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggalegga View Post
I vacuumed mine over the weekend and of course, the crevice tool on the vacuum hose only allows to go back so far. Thanks for the idea to use the duster. I had that out cleaning all my ceiling fan blades.

I've never removed or washed those aluminum filters above the stove. My microhood (which has the fan and filters under it) is 7 years old. I don't use my stove top much though. I'll be sure to check those out and see how dirty they are.
Yes, the filters do accumulate grease, and since these are made of aluminum you don't want to use oven cleaner. That's why the dishwasher plus some dishwasher detergent work best.

Old 07-11-2011, 08:52 PM

149 posts, read 326,194 times
I will definitely give the dishwasher a try for the range hood filter. I was actually at homedepot this week trying to purchase a new one because the old one looks disgusting.
They did not have the size and told me to look on-line. I found it and it was $20 and $8 to ship. I found the shipping expensive for such a flimsy item.
I will also vacuum under the refrigerator.
Thanks for the tips

Old 07-11-2011, 11:18 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,171,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trochlearIV View Post
I will definitely give the dishwasher a try for the range hood filter. I was actually at homedepot this week trying to purchase a new one because the old one looks disgusting.
They did not have the size and told me to look on-line. I found it and it was $20 and $8 to ship. I found the shipping expensive for such a flimsy item.
I will also vacuum under the refrigerator.
Thanks for the tips
The filters take a few tries on the dishwasher if already heavily soiled with grease, so you may want to try a hot wash instead of regular wash. However, when the filters are fairly new, that's the best time to wash them at least once per month, and this well keep them clean.

Old 07-12-2011, 04:53 AM

445 posts, read 1,604,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
$4800, and no coils? LOL! Oh well, we have a pie safe that doesn't even have a combination lock.
OOHHh !!!! I just googled and took the first pic link ... I would not pay $4800 for a frig if it had coils all the way around it

But now I am almost afraid to tackle cleaning mine - I can imagine that in a house with smokers the problem could be worse.....

Old 07-18-2011, 05:11 AM

65 posts, read 227,338 times
Whirlfool charges $95.10 for a 10x11-5/8-inch grease filter.
The range hood has three = $285.30

Each filter has a knob with a little pawl which, when turned 90 degrees, inserts into the bracket latching the filter in place.
The pawl appears to be less than 1 mm thick and appears to be of cheap (weak) pot metal.
It broke off.

What TOTAL garbage.
I will write to Whirlfool.

Unfortunate that some refrigerator manufacturers do not make their under-refrigerator coils easier to clean.
To the vacuum hose I attached a smaller diameter tube which fits into the tighter areas.

Old 07-18-2011, 07:37 PM

1,424 posts, read 5,336,506 times
Quote:
(I do this at everyone's home I visit.)
Robert, I just wanted to say, this cracks me up! Is this how it goes?

Ding dong.
"Hi, I'm Robert and I'm here to visit you."
"Come on in Robert."
"Now, where is your refrigerator? I want to check your coils."

LOL! But seriously, thanks for the reminder. I haven't vacuumed under there for a long time.

Old 07-18-2011, 08:51 PM

1,817 posts, read 6,858,326 times
This is on my list of projects for the weekend to get done. It has been especially hot lately and that coupled with my furry doggies means it wouldn't hurt to give the fridge a good cleaning
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House