Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2011, 12:51 PM

3,528 posts, read 6,530,477 times

Advertisements

I live in LA in a top-level apt, not much sun.

It's been hot lately and last night, it got down to 80 outside and I had the AC on and I felt fine. I switched off the AC and after only 15 minutes it started to get hot again. This happens a lot.

If it's not so hot outside, and I run the ac for a while, and then turn it off, why does it heat back up so fast??

Also, is it true that fans do not cool the air - they make the air SEEM cooler.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2011, 03:10 PM

777 posts, read 1,872,917 times
Hot air rises, hence the rapid heat up of a top-level unit, even from a previously cool state.

Ceiling fans cool people, not rooms. Leaving a fan on in an empty room gains nothing but electricity fees.

Old 07-07-2011, 04:08 PM

2,310 posts, read 6,825,921 times
I live in an apt as well and while I turn on my portable AC, the rest of the house (Landlord's side) which is on top and next to my unit doesn't use AC. So as soon as I turn off my AC, the temp rises quickly as well. I think heat from the rest of the house radiates back into my unit. And for you, heat rises, so your unit is just sucking up all the heat from below.

Old 07-07-2011, 10:27 PM

399 posts, read 1,803,244 times
Heat from the daytime is stored in the walls/ceiling of the building. So even when the outdoor air temperature drops, those things will remit their stored heat back into the living spaces.

Fans make us/rooms feel cooler because they increas our bodies' ability to evaporative cool by blowing away the thin envelope of higher temp, higher humidity air that surrounds us when there's no air flow. So though they don't cool the room, they can cool people.

Old 01-12-2015, 08:13 PM

266 posts, read 450,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
I live in LA in a top-level apt, not much sun.

It's been hot lately and last night, it got down to 80 outside and I had the AC on and I felt fine. I switched off the AC and after only 15 minutes it started to get hot again. This happens a lot.

If it's not so hot outside, and I run the ac for a while, and then turn it off, why does it heat back up so fast??

Also, is it true that fans do not cool the air - they make the air SEEM cooler.
True hot air rises. And JohnHenrySDM is right A a solar heated roof/wall will radiate in all directions, even down into the space below the ceiling. This radiant energy strikes all surfaces, floor and furniture alike warming those items.

When you get a chance take a surface temperature thermometer and measure the ceiling temperature around 10am, noon, and 2. Feel free to take reading with AC on or off however if starting with AC off then keep it off until the last reading is taken. The ceiling temperature may be the equivalent to having radiant ceiling heat while AC is running.

Cooling fans move air to promotes accelerating moisture removal from the skin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House