Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2007, 06:04 PM

4,975 posts, read 11,693,245 times

Advertisements

We moved into our house last year. It was built in 1998. All the knobs, hinges, and light fixtures were that lovely brass look. We've changed out all the lighting, but don't know if it would be worth it to also change out the interior door knobs and hinges. We're planning on selling in the next year or so. We need to know if it would help with resale at all?? Buying mainly online, we could do it for about $250. Thanks for your help !

Last edited by lovemaine; 08-09-2007 at 06:14 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2007, 06:43 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,158,405 times
Unless they look ratty, probably not.

Old 08-09-2007, 07:16 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,754,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemaine View Post
We moved into our house last year. It was built in 1998. All the knobs, hinges, and light fixtures were that lovely brass look. We've changed out all the lighting, but don't know if it would be worth it to also change out the interior door knobs and hinges. We're planning on selling in the next year or so. We need to know if it would help with resale at all?? Buying mainly online, we could do it for about $250. Thanks for your help !
hinges and door knobs no. But if your drawer pulls are brass in the kitchen and bath change those out. I'd change the faucets while you are at it. But that's me.

Old 08-09-2007, 07:56 PM

22 posts, read 81,993 times
I would change it all out just to keep competitive with all the new construction. The brass was a big turn off to me when we were house hunting. But then again, this is our 3rd house. First time home buyers are usually more motivated to do upgrades and repairs. We wanted to just move in and not have to do anything. The home we recently bought is a 2005 and is the newest one we have ever had! Coming from MA we never could have afforded a home so new there. Our first home was built in 1950, our second in 1987. After having to get the '87 house in decent shape to sell (which was A LOT of work), we didn't want to have to do any upgrades again. It might seem like I'm being picky about something as simple as hinges and doorknobs and handles, but as you'll see if you replace them all, its a pain in the butt! Its funny, but after touring the house we ended up buying one of the comments I made to my husband was, "I like that all the knobs and fixtures are silver (or chrome or nickel or whatever you call it), and NOT brass!".

Old 08-09-2007, 09:09 PM

997 posts, read 4,643,911 times
I would say no IMO. As long as you have changed out the light fixtures. If you have any ceiling fans or faucets, that might not be a bad idea either.

I think people will notice the other fixtures mentioned first. Buyers that I've worked with have commented on those the most rather than hinges and knobs.

If the $250 doesn't mean all that much to you than do it and it won't hurt. It will look attractive but it is just more money spent that you won't get back. Not to mention it is a pain to install all of those. So I hardly think it is worth it.

Old 08-09-2007, 09:37 PM

1,232 posts, read 3,780,398 times
It really depends. If you have a nice looking kitchen and bath already spruced up but the hardware looks cheesy, you might want to redo that aspect of things. I notice such details but only if the owners have claimed they have done improvements or restoration work. If everything looks fairly plain, I would stick with the status quo on your present hardware and just shine it up. I'm not a brass person myself, but if it's there, it should look clean (I guess that goes without saying).

Old 08-10-2007, 07:50 AM

4,975 posts, read 11,693,245 times
Thanks for all your responses! I just wondered about it because I've read several house listings where it specifically stated "brushed nickel hardware throughout". We did upgrade all the faucets, ceiling fans, cabinet hardware, and also had the hardwood floors refinished. (And we put ceramic tile in the bathrooms.) I just don't know how much more money to sink into the place.

Thanks again for all your help ! I love this forum!

Old 08-10-2007, 08:16 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,028,394 times
Having just sold a house in another state with difficulty and having purchased a house here AFTER selling I think the knobs and hinges are important. I still had the original handles etc on my old house which was 21 years old. I now realize they helped it to look 21 years old. When purchasing our new house we have everything oil rubbed bronze and notice the fixtures etc in every house we go in. With the housing market being one of glut every littel thing that makes a resale look different from a new offering sticks out. Buy old or go new? If the door knobs date the house that may why a buyer looks for something newer. Even stainless makes you wonder will my appliances still be current in 4 years with a new trend. fixtures and hinges etc are becoming trendy and silver and gold are old.

Old 08-10-2007, 08:51 AM

43 posts, read 221,099 times
I swapped out the brass knobs and hinges for oil rubbed bronze a couple of years ago. I think they are a nice improvement and its an easy job. More of a classic look vs. the builder brass.

Brushed nickel is hot right now for kitchen and bath fixtures, but brushed nickel for knobs reminds me of office/commercial door knobs.

Old 08-10-2007, 09:22 AM

3,287 posts, read 9,184,736 times
Quote:
All the knobs, hinges, and light fixtures were that lovely brass look.
Then again, your buyer may want that...who knows, LOL. Liz
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House