Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 07:26 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times

Advertisements

White pine would usually be sused as a underlayment.Just lookig at the grade makes me think that. Its not uncommon to have double floors in older homes unless a really cheap built one.One reason was for rodents. The end cuts plus the fact that white pine is a soft wood not suited for flooring and no wear also makes me think that. Yellow long leaf pine used in some areas is much tighter grain;harder but in 100 years shows wear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2013, 03:33 PM

1 posts, read 2,257 times
I also have heart pine on my 1920's floors. I took off the awful carpet and pad, removed all the staples and tackbars. Now, I was getting ready to sand my floors, but there are two 20 foot boards that the grain is coming loose, (old lady, may not be called grain) and I would like to fix that before I finish sanding, and help on how I can fix this problem? The two boards are right in the middle of my room

Old 01-03-2014, 08:15 AM

1 posts, read 2,068 times
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]I have a house that is 200 years old with wide plank whitepine floors. The bedrooms and second floor rooms I sanded and polyurethanedwith an oil based urethane. Water base will just soak in and be splotchy. Thesefloor don't get as much traffic and that was 20 years ago and they still lookgood. The problem was the kitchen floor which was very high traffic (nomudroom) and had cracks just wide enough to hold Cheerios. I sanded it and usedclear Minwax and bowling alley wax (nourethane) which protected it for a while but was difficult to keep clean withsmall children, so I covered it with laminate for the last 15 years. Laminatewill protect pine floors without damaging them. The idea was to eventuallybuild the mudroom, with children grown, strip the laminate, fill the cracks andrefinish with the Kitchen floor withurethane. The day has come. I'll let you know how it turns out. Another tip isI used clear urethane. The age and imperfections on the wood give the floors anatural golden color that I think stain would have ruined. Another idea I haveheard of and seen done but have not tried is to steel wool the floors and thenuse boiled linseed oil.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][/SIZE][/FONT]

Old 05-01-2014, 01:17 PM

1 posts, read 1,905 times
I just removed a wall to wall rug in my 160 yr. old farmhouse and found a partly painted wide board floor underneath. It looks like they painted around the outside of something they had in the center--most likely linoleum. The paint is a dark barn red and it extends out from the walls 3-4 feet. I tried using a hand-held belt sander to remove the paint but the floor has scrapes and gouges in it and iit's not completely flat so it won't get it off and even in the places it sands it still has a redish hue to it. Should I use paint remover or will this harm the floor? Any guidancce would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Debbie
Levant, Maine

Old 05-27-2014, 09:43 AM

1 posts, read 1,871 times
Default 15-18" Wide Plank Subfloor - Fill big gaps between?

Hi, I have the same floor in a farm house built in 1881 in Huntsville, Ontario, Canada. It is 133 year old white pine from the original old growth treeds cut from around this area. I know that it is a subfloor but it is original and I think it could look incredible if I refinish it. It is in my living room, front hall and family room.
Could you send me a photo of your floor after you refinished it? My problem is that I have wide gaps in between each plank and I don't want to move them for fear of breaking some of the planks. Can you please give me a suggestion to fill the gaps? Some of them are 1 inch wide.
I am also sending this request out to anyone who has had experience refinishing a subfloor or filling in extra wide gaps in between the planks. Could you please tell me how you filled in the gaps and send me a photo??
Thank you Thank you Thank you, Pamper

Old 09-02-2014, 09:59 PM

1 posts, read 1,764 times
Yardley, just moved into a house with floors like this. I'm dying to see an after pic, and to know what finishes you ended up choosing!

Old 01-29-2015, 06:38 PM

1 posts, read 1,560 times
Hi, my suggestion is to completely avoid polyurethane and use Bioshield Hard Oil #9 - three to five coats. I have it in my home and my floors have lasted 15 years without refinishing, or if needed, clean and steel wool and add a coat - no more sanding. To fill cracks, use wood wedges and plane them down, or use glue and pine sawdust.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House