Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2011, 12:27 PM

6,590 posts, read 11,294,659 times

Advertisements

Anyone have any experience dealing with them?

We got a flier in the mail - and I got a quote online. Not a huge discount after its all said and done (about 18% per month based on last 12 months usage numbers) - but you are leasing the panels so theres no maintenance cost and of course, the fact that you're going "green".

My other question is - if you're looking to do this, and have a 15 year old house - do you get the roof replaced (asphalt) first? And if so, can you only replace the side that the panels will be installed on?

Any comments / opinions welcome. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2011, 01:11 PM

1 posts, read 1,577 times
Hi there, @macroy. I work for Sungevity, so clearly I'm biased when I tell you that we're amazing to partner with :-) If you want a more objective view of our customer satisfaction I encourage you to check us out on Yelp: Sungevity - Jack London Square - Oakland, CA

Regarding your re-roof question, you just need to have a roof that will last the length of the lease. If you're interested in replacing your roof you could re-roof just where the panels are, but sometimes it's more cost effective to do the whole roof. It all depends on situation.

If you decide you want to move forward with panels on your home we would send a professional out for a home visit to confirm your iQuote system and then address any roof concerns.

Happy to answer any other questions you have!

Old 07-19-2011, 07:54 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,074,696 times
If you have the funds for the initial investment carefully research everything to do it yourself. If you're in PA for example you should be able to turn a profit eventually. Here's quote one of my forum members got:

Quote:
$65,000 installation with 5 yr. warranty of system malfunction (but not hail damage, etc.)
$12,000 credits within 6 months of install from state.
$19,500 Fed. tax credit which I can use over 15 years (it rolls over).

Earn $4000 a year in renewable energy credits sold like commodities on exchanges.
The feds and the state will pick up half the bill for install. The value of the energy credit is not guaranteed, it's paid by the power distributors and passed onto consumers. Between the tax credits, the green energy credit and you buying the electric the profits could be substantial for someone leasing these to consumers. Might as well cut out the middle man and do it yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House