Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who would you NOT want for a next-door neighbor?
A co-habitating, unmarried couple 5 2.21%
A gay couple 22 9.73%
A person of another race 10 4.42%
A man who yells at and beats his wife 171 75.66%
A man who abuses SSI and/or disability insurance 75 33.19%
An alcoholic who has loud drinking parties 173 76.55%
A woman who burns her garbage 115 50.88%
A house rented by multiple college students 108 47.79%
A marijuana-smoking woman who smokes outside within your view 76 33.63%
A hard drug user 165 73.01%
An anarchist 55 24.34%
A political person who uses their yard for protest signs 67 29.65%
A violent sex offender who was recently released from prison 191 84.51%
A man who doesn't speak any English 21 9.29%
A house full of immigrant workers 99 43.81%
I wouldn't mind living next to any of these people 4 1.77%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 226. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 07:18 PM

17,705 posts, read 29,796,003 times

Advertisements

Charles Manson
Ted Bundy
Jeffery Dahlmer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2014, 12:57 PM

18,525 posts, read 18,732,187 times
Ive suffered the wife beater
The druggie
The wild parties
A woman from a mental institution sent out for the first time in years to live next door..
A prostitute.
Scroungers..

none were easy to put up with but Id rather have some of these than some pervert sex offender.

Old 05-30-2014, 07:35 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,666,362 times
Default Even living on a 'section' you will likely have a neighbor less than a mile away

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Charles Manson
Ted Bundy
Jeffery Dahlmer
TMK, none of these guys preyed on their neighbors, only the last one brought work home with him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nephil
Interesting experiment. It seems like the strongest opposition lies in those that would be the least trustworthy neighbors, or most disruptive to peaceful enjoyment of one's home. I have had experiences with most of these at one time or another, at one point three at once, from three different neighbors.

Over time I have become very sensitive to this sort of thing and it's caused me to really focus on where my ideal place would be...in the woods with no neighbors for miles. You never know what you're going to get when you live in close proximity with other people who are only concerned about themselves.
I agree -- I am less concerned with who my neighbors are than about how they behave at home; do they disturb my peaceful enjoyment of my home and land? I suppose if I had a quiet sort of criminal (who didn't draw a lot of media attention when he got caught) for a neighbor, I wouldn't particularly be upset by the idea.

Unless you live on the border of a national/state park or similar conservation land, it's difficult to afford a place where you wouldn't have any neighbors for miles. I've got about a mile of empty land at one edge of my property, and instead of loud arguments, I get woken by a howling coyote pack.

Old 05-31-2014, 08:14 AM

10,222 posts, read 19,201,005 times
Obviously a violent sex offender is a problem; recidivism is pretty much expected, and no one wants to be a victim or have a family member become a victim. I've lived near a couple who had constant domestic disputes (don't know about beating, but definitely a lot of screaming and yelling with the cops showing up to break it up) -- that's a definitely quality of life issue. Fortunately they found that getting the cops called a lot was a great way to get evicted. An alcoholic (or even a non-alcoholic) who has loud drunken parties is also obviously a problem.

That people don't want to live near a hard drug user as #4 is somewhat surprising. I guess people are thinking crackhead, tweaker, or strung-out junkie. Thing is, there are a lot of hard drug users who are none of those. Wealthy people with a cocaine habit they can afford, prescription abusers, etc.

Old 06-02-2014, 01:04 AM

1,668 posts, read 1,485,287 times
A person who keeps large snakes.

Old 06-02-2014, 01:45 AM

18,525 posts, read 18,732,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnd393 View Post
A person who keeps large snakes.
any snakes

Old 06-02-2014, 05:13 AM

13,236 posts, read 7,286,273 times
I have a lesbian couple that live behind us when they moved in they walked their dogs by our house and started talking to my wife then invited her to one of their pool party's they have. We heard some loud yelling and music a few months later, so she went over there I had no interest in it I stayed home. She came back about 2 am and said that the party was actually a gay swingers party woman and men. She saw woman making out and doing lines of coke in the bathroom. My wife is an open person she likes a good party but not attracted to woman at all she rejected their advances. Later in the night she was asked to leave in unless she wanted to partake in the girl swinging activity so she left. After that they were not very friendly to us and my wife tried once more to attend one of their party's and was told to leave. Their party's get really loud sometimes and my next door neighbor went over there once to ask them to turn down the music at 3am was told to F off.

I have another neighbor who rides his Harley by my house 15-18 times a day. He looks like a fat slob about 400lbs with greasy un-kept hair. It is really annoying he rides it really slow and it's loud. I once counted him going by my house 25 times in one day. My nosy neighbor told me he got the home from his parents who died he doesn't work I suspect he is delivering drugs to people either pot or meth I don't see what he could be doing he doesn't carry any tools his motor cycle has no place to put anything. My next door neighbor said he is going to get something to eat LOL.

Last edited by kell490; 06-02-2014 at 05:25 AM..

Old 06-02-2014, 07:38 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,282,410 times
I'd prefer not to live next to anyone who spends time complaining about all their neighbors.

Old 06-03-2014, 05:01 PM

6,005 posts, read 4,784,668 times
I don't wanna live next to Celine Dion. I imagine she'd be singing all the time.

Old 06-03-2014, 05:47 PM

19,012 posts, read 27,562,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Charlie Sheen

Alan Jackson. I worked with a doc, who shared lake shore with the country star.

Out of all things mentioned, worst to me is booming bass. It simply turns me inside out. And I was blessed with having a neighbor like this, with us being about 200 feet apart, that was literally throwing pictures off our house walls . That topped with them being junkies.
But junkies are usually quite quiet. They mind their own business and usually don't steal in close hood, as this attracts the police very soon, and they don't want any attraction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House