Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Hiring a contractor: flooring, power tools, homes construction, employee criminal background check, interior design.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 07:54 PM

1,174 posts, read 6,941,851 times

Advertisements

Do you guys wanna' hear a story? Here's one for you . . .

We recently hired a couple of contractors. One to tear out much of the interior of the house and then to install tile flooring. The other was hired to install wood flooring.

Recently the wood flooring installation began. The contractor sent one great crew to do the job. Things were going well. Then, he sent another crew to help out.

The new crew consisted of three guys and an 8 year old little girl. When they arrived, the little girl shot out of their truck and ran into the house. Mind you, the house has no flooring, has sharp tile pieces laying about in piles, has power equipment with sharp blades on rickety stands, and other dangerous debris in the area. It is a contstruction zone.

My first staements to the guys was, "Who belongs to the child?" Once the father was identified, I told him that I can't have the little girl in the house. It is dangerous for her and I will not accept the liability for any injury to her. She had to leave. He had to take her somewhere else.

The worker began to argue with me. As the homeowner, I could not believe that he was argueing with me in my own house. I stopped him and told him to call his boss, the contractor, because no matter what he said, I was not going to allow his child to remain on my property. Well, this sent him through the roof as evidenced by his continued vulgarities, yelling, and more vulgarities.

At this point I called his boss, the contractor I had hired. I explained the child situation, the fact she was in a dangerous construction environment, that the emplyee was refusing to remove the child from the house, and that he was continuing to argue with me. The contractor later told me he could hear the employee yelling in the background.

At the same time the other office phone was ringing. It was the employee who was calling his boss. The contractor advised me he would take care of it, hung up with me, and then took the other call. He told the employee to remove the child from the house and return to the shop.

At this point the employee and the crew started to pack up thier van. During this time a constant barrage of vulgarities were directed towards me. I continued to stand in the area to ensure that only their property was removed from the premises until the point when the employee crossed another line. I was threatened with physical harm. Ther threat was made in tenor of voice, word of deed, and emotion of stance.

I am in no ways a dummy, so I chose to let him make his threats without any overt action on my part. He did not act on them, but attempted to get me to take the first setp. I refused to get down to his level, so instead I again called his boss. I told him of the threat and that I didn't appreciate it. He said he'd handle it so that ended our conversation.

Once the employee left, he returned to the shop with his child. Upon meeting with his boss, he was fired. Well, that doesn't end the story. The boss/contractor called me back and told what happened. The employee had gone through the roof, stolen the van that he was no longer authorized to use since he was fired, and had told the boss that he was coming back to my house to KILL ME.

Holy cow! I don't need this caca! I wasn't raised with the likes of people like the employee and certainly don't need to be involved with them at this point in my life. However, I had to take action so I called the police who responded to my residence.

Well, the employee did not return, but then again there were two police cars in front of my house. He would have been stupid to drive up.

They ended up taking a report, which will be presented to the D/A on Monday morning. A warrant should be issued for the guy's arrest.

I might have expected things to have ended at this point, pending some kind of law enforcement action, however this wasn't the end of things. Yesterday, I went to a large hardware store where I purchased some items. Upon exiting the store, what did I see? There was the idiot standing in the parking lot near my car.

As soon as he saw me, he began again with a barrage of vulgarities and threats. Great, just what I need, right? I ignored him, entered my car, and proceeded directly to the local police station where another report was filed.

Oh, btw, did I mention that the individual that the contractor allowed into my home was well known with the local Sheriff's Office? He was a "frequent flyer" in the overnight accomodations department and, when his name was run over the car compluter, it returned with an "Officer Safety" warning. Apparently the employee had a record for Assualt with a Deadly Weapon and each of the officers I have talked to have known this guy's name.

So, here I sit with a violent idiot knowing where I live, fired because of my actions according to his perspective, upset at me, perhaps even beginning to stalk me. What a nice thing to live with every day?

I do have to say that I have the ability to defend myself if this guy decides to act on his threats. In fact, I had the ability to do so at each step in this process. I just withheld actions until there would be no question of my need of defense. I won't elaborate on what those abilities are other than to say they are there.

However, is this anyway to live? I don't think so. I do know that I have learned a few lessons and that's what I'd like to pass on to you:

First, I will always insist that the contractor be at the job site at the beginning of each day to supervise the arrival of his employees. Once they are working, he can leave for his other duties. Second, I will insist on verification from the contractor that he has done criminal checks on his employees and that none of them are felons (or frequent flyers ). If he can't provide proof, he won't be hired. Those are the lessons I have learned.

That is the reason I have written this post. To tell you of these recent events and provide a couple of the lessons I have learned so that hopefully someone else won't have the same experience as me. It was an experience that could have gone south real fast, and is one that is still hanging over our heads.

Last edited by garth; 08-12-2007 at 08:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2007, 08:04 PM

345 posts, read 1,578,020 times
i am so sorry....i hope he leaves you alone...borrow a friend's dog for a couple of weeks...

Old 08-12-2007, 08:13 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,203,960 times
That is unreal. And guys like that can have a long memory. Hopefully he will get popped for something else soon and will then turn his wrath on someone else. This is terrifying.

Old 08-12-2007, 08:13 PM

1,005 posts, read 1,889,285 times
Garth -

Oh, I'm very sorry to hear that this has happened. Very difficult to relax when you know someone irrational can regularly & suddenly appear, so be careful. Good to know you can protect yourself, but a difficult decision to make, nonetheless. What kind of household this young girl lives in is an equal heartbreaker. Such a pity for the little one. I'm sure you will be, but do be careful if you've young ones about or a dog who may be unattended in your yard. On the upside, you deserve three cheers for taking action, I must say.

Thank you for the warning, as I've had cagey lads about before, that made me very uncomfortable & never thought to speak to the boss about them. My plumber & electrician show up with different crew members everytime. Honestly, some gave me the creeps.

Good advice & thanks for posting. Glad you took action with the police, too. I've got to file a police report myself tomorrow for the 4th car break-in in 2-mos. Odd, as the door doesn't look "jimmied", almost as if someone has a key. They only take minor things (all my quarters, touch-up paint, 1 empty cassette box - I don't get it), don't do damage, but leave the doors ajar & windows rolled down. Don't know what the message is supposed to be, but I'm afraid of sabatoge to my engine, as they can open the hood once inside. Some people are quite scary.

Who knows what motivates some people, but be safe with this one running about making threats. By the way, will they arrest him if he keeps confronting you? What other course of action do you have besides continually filing police reports? Not meaning to scare you, I just think some of us have been in these situations before & can learn for next time.

Be safe... VV

Old 08-12-2007, 08:36 PM

1,174 posts, read 6,941,851 times
momoffive and HIF, thanks for the support. Hopefully it'll work out okay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittensPurr View Post
Garth -
By the way, will they arrest him if he keeps confronting you? What other course of action do you have besides continually filing police reports? Not meaning to scare you, I just think some of us have been in these situations before & can learn for next time.
I know what you mean, one of the things he said to me at Home Depot was, "What's it feel like since I know where you live?" That was followed up with some vulgarites. a threat, and some names that included calling me the "N-word." The funny thing is, I'm Swedish with a little Norwegian thrown in for flavor. Oh well, I guess it just points to his upbringing and shows that he's not a Harvard grad, is he?

They'll end up taking action on the report. At this point it is just a misdemeanor not conducted in their presence, so they need to stop by the DA's office to check on the filing criteria and go to a judge for the warrant. With his record and the fact that he's followed me or at least opted to confront me when he happened to be at the store, something will be done early in the week.

Otherwise, the only thing any of us can do is what we're authorized to do in this country . . . be responsible for our own safety. Again, I won't get into it very much, other than to say both my wife and I are very responsible and know how and when to take appropriate action.

As for your car, here's a couple suggestions on how they're getting in. First, it could be a "shaved key." It's a key that's been worn down and can be used to open locks. Second, roll your car window up. Then place your hands on the glass and try pushing it down. Some cars have worn or loose mechanisms that will allow the window to move down in its track with the just the pressure and friction from your hands. Once there is a crack open at the top, the crook can get something in to pop your lock or even reach in with his own hand.

Now, don't ask me how I know these things. I will only say its not because I was a crook who used these techniques . . . and btw, I'm not giving away any secrets. These couple of techniques are well known.

Last edited by garth; 08-12-2007 at 08:45 PM..

Old 08-12-2007, 08:52 PM

1,952 posts, read 4,788,118 times
That's terrible, stay safe.

Old 08-13-2007, 11:37 AM

141 posts, read 686,061 times
just checking, are you ok

Old 08-13-2007, 01:31 PM

404 posts, read 710,855 times
Ouch! For everyone involved.

Did you ever get all the work finished?

Old 08-13-2007, 02:59 PM

1,498 posts, read 3,463,918 times
That is crazy ! He is lucky he was working for you and not at my house. If he had stalked me he would have a head wound ! Have you considered a restraining order ? it sounds like you have grounds to obtain one and after he breaks that he goes to jail, may be a good fix for you.

Old 08-13-2007, 06:49 PM

3,689 posts, read 10,414,394 times
Stay safe, I hope this guy is not supid enough for you to have to use your "rights to defend yourself" as you say. I wish for your safety
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House