Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 10:09 AM

1,173 posts, read 4,751,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
The responses have been half right- yeah, you can poke a hole and see inside for wires and/or plumbing. That's the easy part. But, there's no way to determine from that hole if the framing that you'd want to remove is structural or not. The only way to determine that is to rip all the drywall off.
In the grand scheme of things- d/wall is cheap. doesn't matter if there's texture or not.

Some clarification would help though- when you say "bumped out the wall" do you mean a small wing wall (pic 1) or, more like a column wrapped around a wing wall? Something like picture 2.
Hmmm, it's not really like either one but closer to picture 1. It's kind of hard to describe I think I'm going to have to take pictures. I could be wrong of course but I doubt that it's structural it looks like something that was done after house was built for decorative purposes.

I didn't get to poke around in the last night because the lights went out in our neighborhood last night but I will tonight. I'll post pics and let you know what I found.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2011, 10:14 AM

Okay I just found this picture saved on my computer from before we bought the house. The wrought iron doors have since been removed.

I'm going to try to explain it as best I can. On the right side of the picture where that mint colored wall is, then is that "bump" i'm estimating it's about 36 to 40 inches. Then it goes back down to being level with the mint green wall (which you can't really see in the picture) it's the same on both sides. Make sense??
Attached Thumbnails
How can I figure out what is behind a wall??-entry-way.jpg  

Old 08-16-2011, 02:20 PM

17,474 posts, read 66,045,317 times
The pic I think answered everything.
I'm betting that those bump outs are just dead-space. The wall directly contacting the stairs (same plane) would be load bearing as well as the wall at actually has the front door in it (same plane). I'm thinking that the previous owner had that great garage sale find (the wrought iron gate) and used it there. But the original hallway was wider than the gate so, they just closed down the hallway a bit to make it fit.

Old 08-16-2011, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
The pic I think answered everything.
I'm betting that those bump outs are just dead-space. The wall directly contacting the stairs (same plane) would be load bearing as well as the wall at actually has the front door in it (same plane). I'm thinking that the previous owner had that great garage sale find (the wrought iron gate) and used it there. But the original hallway was wider than the gate so, they just closed down the hallway a bit to make it fit.
Thanks for your input! I was thinking this was probably the case as well, fingers crossed that we're right.

As far as the "great garage sale find" i'm hoping somebody feels the same way about them next month when we have our townwide garage sale because those puppies are taking up a heck of a lot of space in my tool room!

Old 08-16-2011, 04:43 PM

588 posts, read 1,014,905 times
Sorry, maybe it's regional, maybe I'm not very worldly, but I've never seen a gate inside a house like that. Why exactly would someone want that? Just for the look of it? Just curious, carry on...

Old 08-24-2011, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swerver View Post
Sorry, maybe it's regional, maybe I'm not very worldly, but I've never seen a gate inside a house like that. Why exactly would someone want that? Just for the look of it? Just curious, carry on...
I have NO idea, it made the family room feel like a dungeon. We took them down after buying the house.

However, I am slightly greatful to those gates, as well as the hideous wall paper, horrid paint colors, over grown jungle yard and questionable flooring choices--They helped me get an AMAZING deal on great house 2x's the size of everything else in my budget
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House