Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 03:20 PM

10 posts, read 261,324 times

Advertisements

Good Afternoon,

I have a problem with hot water in my Master Bathroom. The problem is, in that particular bathroom hot water doesn't exist. Everywhere else in the house it is fine, but in the master bathroom shower and sink the water doesn't get hot. The shower is a single knob that you rotate left for hot or right for cold and either way you turn it water comes out, but never warm. In the sink there are seperate handles for hot and cold, however it has the same issue where the water never comes out warm (it comes out the same speed from either handle, so I don't think it is an issue of the hot water lines being clogged). In the kitchen and guest bathroom the hot water works fine. Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot this issue?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Regards,

Jwess
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2011, 03:33 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,766,834 times
Does your house have point-of-use heaters (as opposed to a central tank unit or central on-demand unit)?

Old 08-29-2011, 04:00 PM

I will double check when I get home but I am 99% sure it has only one central water heater.

Old 08-30-2011, 08:37 AM

Yes, there is only one central gas water heater

Old 08-30-2011, 09:09 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,766,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwess222 View Post
Yes, there is only one central gas water heater
That's weird.

Is this a house that you just moved into and you noticed the problem or is this something that started happening suddenly?

You may want to check to see if there is a mixer valve on the supply pipes to your master bathroom. Often times this is done to reduce the temperature of the hot water at the faucet without lowering the temperature of the water in the heater tank (kills bacteria) and it could be something simple like the mixer valve is letting too much cold water in.

Old 08-30-2011, 09:41 AM

2,222 posts, read 10,646,000 times
There is also some kind of (circulation) pump that can go bad. It's purpose is to get the hot water to areas that are further from the hot water heater. A family member just had a problem that sounds like this. I just can't remember what it is actually called. But she couldn't get hot water in the back bathroom, only the front of the house. Called a plumber who fixed it.

Old 08-30-2011, 09:46 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Check the Anti Scald Valve in the single handle.

Old 08-30-2011, 09:54 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,175,023 times
Does your heater have a temperature control setting? And is the bath a long way from the heater? It could be that the water simply has time to cool down too much before it gets to the bath. Especially if the pipes have little insulation on them.

Old 08-30-2011, 10:29 AM

24,388 posts, read 23,044,056 times
We had a lack of hot water and it was the mixer valve on top of the boiler. Normally you could adjust it with a valve left or right but it was frozen with lime scale. Too much cold water was mixing in. This affected every tap, though. Once it was replaced , we had plenty of hot scalding water.

Old 08-30-2011, 01:11 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,046,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwess222 View Post
I have a problem with hot water in my Master Bathroom. The problem is, in that particular bathroom hot water doesn't exist. Everywhere else in the house it is fine, but in the master bathroom shower and sink the water doesn't get hot. The shower is a single knob that you rotate left for hot or right for cold and either way you turn it water comes out, but never warm. In the sink there are seperate handles for hot and cold, however it has the same issue where the water never comes out warm (it comes out the same speed from either handle, so I don't think it is an issue of the hot water lines being clogged). In the kitchen and guest bathroom the hot water works fine. Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot this issue?
How long have you lived there? Has it always been like this or is it a recent problem? It takes almost a full minute with the HW tap turned on full before the water in my master bathrooms starts feeling warm. It is just too far away from the heater.

I can't think of any good reason for what you are experiencing, unless as some have suggested, you have some kind of anti-scald water temperature mixing valve that has malfunctioned (I have never lived in a house that had one), but what are the odds of that happening at both the sink and shower?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House