U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 09:50 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,924,891 times

Advertisements

How much time do you give a contractor to give you an estimate on a job?

I called in 5 contractors to give me an estimate on a major kitchen/bath job 2 weeks ago and so far only 1 out of 5 has come back with an estimate. I've been disappointed by contractors in general so this doesn't surprise me but why do contractors bother coming in if they don't intend to even give an estimate?

Is it even worth it to call them to ask when to expect an estimate so I can make my decision?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2011, 10:02 AM

31,928 posts, read 73,469,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimchee View Post
...so far only 1 out of 5 has come back with an estimate.

The flip side of the estimate process is the contractor judging the worth of a customer.
They might just not want to work with you.

How did you find them? approach them?
Did you have a design or plans?
Do you have a garage full of materials you're looking to have installed?

Something else is going on here.

Old 08-31-2011, 11:37 AM

9,124 posts, read 34,430,408 times
Silly question, but when you had them there for the initial meetings, did you ask them how long it would be before they got back to you?????

Old 08-31-2011, 12:11 PM

48,507 posts, read 90,753,249 times
Kitchens and baths rerquire the most sub contractors to line up for the prices they chrge. Did you hae drwing of just what you want. Alos remmeber that mnay maybe bidding other jobs and thsi is the first tiem they see what you e=want done and have a chance to decide if they want to do the job and to evaluate you as a custmer. i know a friend who deos custom cabiets. Its surpising the number of jobs he passes on ebcause of his experienced impression of the customer. No plans and uncertinilty of what is want is a big factor often.

Old 08-31-2011, 12:24 PM

24,839 posts, read 35,072,507 times
Quote:
How much time do you give a contractor to give you an estimate on a job?

I called in 5 contractors to give me an estimate on a major kitchen/bath job 2 weeks ago and so far only 1 out of 5 has come back with an estimate. I've been disappointed by contractors in general so this doesn't surprise me but why do contractors bother coming in if they don't intend to even give an estimate?

Is it even worth it to call them to ask when to expect an estimate so I can make my decision?
I look at it this way......

If they are THAT slow at giving prices to get your money, how slow will they be on warranty work after they HAVE your money.

I would go with the prompt guy.

Old 08-31-2011, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
I would go with the prompt guy.
but he's not the "prompt" guy...
he's the *only* guy

Old 08-31-2011, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
The flip side of the estimate process is the contractor judging the worth of a customer.
They might just not want to work with you.

How did you find them? approach them?
Did you have a design or plans?
Do you have a garage full of materials you're looking to have installed?

Something else is going on here.
I don't have materials yet but have very detailed plans (electrical, plumbing, elevation, etc.) from my NKBA designer that are ready to be submitted for permits. So yes, I'm very serious and prepared to do this job. I also mentioned I want to pick a contractor to work on this job asap so would like an estimate sooner than later. Most of the contractors said they would get back to me within a week. It's been 2 weeks and I only got 1 estimate so far...

I found most of the guys through word of mouth and 1 through angie's list. The one from angie's list is the one who submitted the estimate within 2 days of stopping by.

The only reason I can see the contractors not getting back is that I told them I have a plumber lined up to do the plumbing work so won't need that service... Could that be the reason for the lack of response?

TIA.

Old 08-31-2011, 01:40 PM

Quote:
... have very detailed plans (electrical, plumbing, elevation, etc.) from my NKBA designer that are ready to be submitted for permits.
Q: Why isn't the NKBA designer guy hooking you up with the contractor (singular, General Contractor) that he usually works with?

Quote:
The only reason I can see the contractors not getting back is that I told them I have a plumber lined up to do the plumbing work so won't need that service... Could that be the reason for the lack of response?
I'm certain that this is a part of it. Yes.

As mentioned above a Kitchen remodel needs MANY different sub contractors on the job. Every GC will have their own list they work with.

When looking at the project... focus on the bottom line...
and have ONE guy to go to when the issues crop up (as they will).

Old 08-31-2011, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Q: Why isn't the NKBA designer guy hooking you up with the contractor (singular, General Contractor) that he usually works with?

I'm certain that this is a part of it. Yes.
The designer's guy is one of the ones who has yet to get back to me. I can't exactly rely on just one guy's estimate no matter how highly recommended that one guy is, can I?

Quote:
As mentioned above a Kitchen remodel needs MANY different sub contractors on the job. Every GC will have their own list they work with.
When looking at the project... focus on the bottom line...
and have ONE guy to go to when the issues crop up (as they will).
I have heard of that, when I asked if that would be an issue, none of the contractors said it was. They all welcome the idea. Of course they could be lying.

But since the plumbing work will be done by my dad and hence free, I can't turn it down.

Maybe I should not have bought that up until after the estimate...

Old 08-31-2011, 02:51 PM

Quote:
The designer's guy is one of the ones who has yet to get back to me. I can't exactly rely on just one guy's estimate no matter how highly recommended that one guy is, can I?
no; you should have at least 2.

Quote:
But since the plumbing work will be done by my dad and hence free, I can't turn it down.
Maybe I should not have bought that up until after the estimate...
This throws yet another wrinkle into it.

If your Dad was doing the tile... maybe. But when talking about the work of a *licensed* trade that requires inspections and stage/progress coordination throughout the job and with everyone else working there...

Even if Dad is licensed... nope.
All or nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House