Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 12:53 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,849,725 times

Advertisements

Townhomes are owned as opposed to apts are rented...as you likely know. My townhome is solely my responsibility as far as house-care ie roof, walls, decks and porches etc. There is only one common wall and luckily I hear nothing on that side. The HOA is only responsible for the pool and gym upkeep and the landscaping.

They are particularly good choices if you are like me....older and single and..... no more yard work, please. I went from 3 acres to this and believe it not, like it just fine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
House. I think townhouses are just glorified apartments. Some people have no choice as town homes are the norm in their areas but if you have the option, buy a single family home. Single family homes tend to sell better. On the flip side though, I wouldn't be crazy about buying a single family house where the HOA does the lawn work. I live in an HOA community and everyone does their own lawns. Is there other options? A 150 can add up over time and I am sure at some point they will raise the rate as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2011, 01:56 PM

675 posts, read 1,816,404 times
And now we want to move from townhouse to single house for more yard

Maybe after 20-30 years later, we come back to townhouse like you now

Old 09-02-2011, 03:25 PM

12 posts, read 15,061 times
In my mind too, the main concern here is that the townhome complex is not fully developed yet. Townhouses also tend to have limited or shared yard space, plus there is always some kind of noise or impact vibration that carries over between the units.
Single family houses are often older and in worse condition though, compared to townhomes.

Old 09-02-2011, 10:24 PM

1,212 posts, read 4,911,048 times
^

Correct... an unfinished development could be a nuisance or the root of your financial ruin if you buy into a development... it doesn't, errr.... develop and you are stuck living in a wasteland, or construction site.

there maybe safety issues with the undeveloped or under developed lots (children playing on gravel piles, lumber, nails etc left behind)

and if you try to sell... who in their right mind would buy without severely lowering the cost and risking credit damage.

Not in this economy... I would not take the risk

Old 09-15-2011, 01:26 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,683,376 times
I vote for SF but never for HOA.

Old 09-15-2011, 01:43 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,683,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cacti View Post
Single family houses are often older and in worse condition though, compared to townhomes.
Not necessary.
Housing Bottom Dictionary - HousingBottom.com - poor housing construction (http://www.housingbottom.com/poor_housing_construction.shtml - broken link)

And I've lived in a townhome with HOA and that townhouse is in a very sought after neighborhood (doctors, lawyers & nurses with even a political candidate thrown in) is built with paper thin walls, concrete steps that is crumbling after 5 years plus since they built it (my neighbor's too), deck is of inferior quality. Good thing I was only renting then.

Because of that experience and from my experience from dealing with builders from my job... so now I bought a house with plaster arrow straight walls, a very solid deck and in the country where the location is prime.

And no HOA!

Inspected every inch of this house... even took to jumping on every sq inch of the house to make sure nothing gives after living in that townhome... to make sure it is solid and quite sound proof.

Plus survived hurricane Irene with a pretty decent sleep (woke up to a big mess though)... could barely hear the wind howling outside nor the sounds of breaking branches.

Old 09-17-2011, 11:08 AM

2,310 posts, read 6,824,560 times
Speaking of poor construction with new houses.....I visited my cousin when she lived in a newly built townhouse (2007/08)... essentially a builder bought an old SF, tore it down, and built something much larger to flip for a profit. The 2nd/3rd floors was made into 1 condo which my cousin rented and the basement and 1st flr was a separate condo.

It has all the decor to look upscale - granite kitchen, crown mold, nice wood floors, etc. However, the house shakes whenever someone walks and you can hear people talking 2 flrs away. Also, the basement gets wet during rain... too bad for the family who bought the bottom condo as they had to deal with water damage soon after buying the place.

After my cousin moved out, the builders still have not been able to sell that unit after 4 price reductions.

Old 09-17-2011, 01:58 PM

3,437 posts, read 6,073,834 times
Both have HOA Nazis? Find other places.

Sans the HOA, there is no deciding, a single house is the only choice.

Old 03-22-2014, 08:18 PM

6 posts, read 4,920 times
Is it a good idea convert a dining room into a child’s room?Permanently

Old 03-22-2014, 08:37 PM

17,709 posts, read 29,812,481 times
Default No help needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakobian View Post
Is it a good idea convert a dining room into a child’s room?
Most children are quite capable of converting any room into a child's room.
They need no help from you.
cf. every episode of Love It or List It?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House