Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 09:02 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,051,675 times

Advertisements

So very sorry for the loss of your husband. Seems he left you in a financial and emotional mess.

It reads like you can not afford to maintain the house (taxes and utilities) on your limited income.
The house can not have many "good" memories for you, given that it is now such a "commodity" for your various family members.

i agree with others, kick your abusive, ungrateful son and his wife out. Tell your sister to jump in a lake. Tell your In-Laws to pound sand.

Sell the house, take the proceeds, your Hubbies' SS and his good memories and start a new life for yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2011, 10:05 PM

244 posts, read 1,227,482 times
WE had a similar situation, but w/a car that was a family heirloom. It belonged to my husbands dad and when he was alive, he told my husband that if anything ever happened to him, that he would inherit the car. Well, it was never in writing, so we had a fight on our hands! So, we wrote up a contract that said everyone was a legal owner of the car IF...they paid insurance and helped pay for upkeep. Needless to say, NO ONE signed it. Everyone wanted US to maintain the car, but they wanted to drive it and borrow it w/no strings attached. We were lucky that it worked out this way because it wasn't in writing before his dad passed away. If your husband left the house to YOU, then I would kick everyone else out and live there. With the market the way it is, it might be hard to find something else that you can afford w/your SS. And maybe in a few yrs, the market will be better and you can sell for a better price. Good luck!

Old 09-06-2011, 09:46 AM

70 posts, read 237,838 times
Thank you all for your advice!!! I am worried that someone will actually be able to take the house away from me. My husband made out his will on his death bed, his brother wrote his wishes down and he signed it, but here's the thing hubby had liver and brain cancer, hours later his liver failed then one by one his organs shut down and he was gone a couple of days later. The house is in both of our names.

Old 09-06-2011, 10:40 AM

1,728 posts, read 3,125,484 times
I'm sorry for what you have to go through. Since the house is yours, you can do whatever you want with it. My advice is, if possible, sell it asap and deposit the proceeds in a bank account under your name only. Then move far way from your family and anyone who thinks they have a claim to your house. And when you make a will for yourself, make sure none of your family members gets a dime. From what you're saying, none of them are deserving of it.

Old 09-06-2011, 11:06 AM

3,748 posts, read 12,403,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isew4kidz View Post
Thank you all for your advice!!! I am worried that someone will actually be able to take the house away from me. My husband made out his will on his death bed, his brother wrote his wishes down and he signed it, but here's the thing hubby had liver and brain cancer, hours later his liver failed then one by one his organs shut down and he was gone a couple of days later. The house is in both of our names.
If your name was on the house deed at the time of your husbands death, I believe it is now yours and only yours. However, I'm not an attorney. Call Legal Aid. At the very least they can put your mind at ease on what is yours and what your rights are. You really really need someone to guide you right now. Forgive me for saying it but it sounds like you are surrounded by vultures all out for themselves with no concern for you. Please don't sign ANYTHING your family puts in front of you and please get legal advise immediately!

Old 09-06-2011, 01:35 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,470,411 times
this belongs in personal finance or relationships where you might get more feedback. But i agree with what others have said. Kick them out and sell the house and keep every penny. Sorry for your loss and equally sorry that you have such boorish family. Best of luck!

Old 09-06-2011, 03:05 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,879,293 times
Quote:
If he put something in that will that goes against your wishes, it won't hold up in court if it was done while he was on his deathbed.. That should have been taken care of years earlier..!!
Get a good attorney to help you. I would give my son an 30 day eviction notice and kick them out. You have to do a legal eviction, you can't just tell them to leave. GET AN ATTORNEY..!

Old 09-06-2011, 03:34 PM

23,595 posts, read 70,391,434 times
I'll vote along with the get an attorney - but - what you are describing is elder abuse. It is illegal and can involve free housing in the lockup for those who push it. You need an advocate as much as you do a lawyer. Inquire of social services and start to form a paper trail of the demands on you, giving dates, times, names, etc..

As for your son, and your not wanting a house to get between you and him, wake up and smell the coffee, he has already indicated your value in relation to the house and him. You have lost him already, and the only chance you might have of getting him to turn-around is some sort of therapy (like a brick up-side the head until he sees the light).

It is YOUR life. Do NOT under any circumstances sign ANYTHING except if you are ALONE with your attorney and an advocate by your side, and they have time to advise you and answer your questions.

(If you need a brick, let me know, I'll send you one.)

Old 09-06-2011, 03:41 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,693,227 times
Quote:
I doubt it, the house is not finished. My husband started building it a year before he died. One of my neighbors is a tax accessor for the county and he told me that the reason everyone wants my house is because of it's value. He said that if I sold it today as is I could easily get 150k and if I finished the house it would be worth 250k, I had no idea till he told me. It is a big (3156 sq. ft.) two story house with a 2 car attached garage, it's a beautiful house sitting on an acre and a half in the middle of the woods (closest neighbor is a half a mile away) and it has tall ceilings, also some of the doorways are arched. I can't get homeowner's insurance until the house is completely finished.
Sell it

Old 09-06-2011, 03:51 PM

2,289 posts, read 5,773,545 times
Honestly, I would hire myself an attorney. You do not, to me, seem to be very business savey. If the home was deeded JTWS, then it is yours. I wouldn't attempt to throw anyone out until you have sat down with an attorney.

The residency laws are different in every state, here in Florida, if someone has lived in the residence for 6 months or longer, you cannot just toss them out on the street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House