Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2019, 05:02 AM

6,769 posts, read 5,488,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinkieJ View Post
Exactly ! I have the same problem with the blinding flood light at the Texaco corner store, 2 blocks away, across the street, shining in to all of our apartment complex windows. I would like to enjoy the night & sunrise without a glaring light blinding me every time I look out the window. Why should people have to cover their windows with dark heavy curtains because inconsiderate people dont know how to angle their security lights on THEIR own property? I like having my blinds up & open. I would like to be able to enjoy looking out my windows without a piercing bright light shining in my eyes each time.
Um, was the Texaco corner store there when you moved in??

If it was you have no reason to complain. ALL businesses open during dark hours have lights to light the way for customers. You should have known that before moving in.

If the Texaco store was not there when you moved in, but built after, you still have no reason to complain if you knew your apartment was near commercial property.

People have the right to light their yards, and people have the right to block out offending lights.

I live in town, and the light pollution from the business district 10 minutes drive away interfere s with the night star gazing.

A few neighbors have outdoor lighting but it doesn't bother me.

I work 3rd shift...does that mean i have the right to tell the neighbors to NOT mow their yards during the days im sleeping? NO it does not.

It is up TO ME to have blackout curtains and wear ear plugs to block out offending noise so i can sleep.

I am always amazed that people think they have a right to control others behavior to suit them, regardless of what the others want to do. It doesn't work when its the other way around, now does it???

Thats what laws are for, and if no laws are broken, you have only the man or woman in the mirror to control.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2019, 11:39 AM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times
here in NY they have installed new LED streetlights. The light they give off is this bright cold white white white, complketely blinding if you look directly at them.

They face more downwards, and fortunetely I live on the 4th floor and therefor the lights are just below all my windows.
I have shades that I like to keep all the way rolled up, as I have plants in the windows and like to look out in the night time, daytime, or anytime. The bedroom, obviously we pull down a bit for a little privacy,

however the streetlight that is across the next block I can see them clearley all winter long as the trees block it in thew summer,and everytime i pass by the living room windows I feel like the light just B-lines for my eyes....

well, what can you do/
nothing.
the streetlight is there and will remain so, so if on a certain night it bothers me more, I just pull the shade down till it covers it, and yet it is high enough that ny claustrophia doesnt kick in.

the texaco light like stated above, it was there, so thats a you have to get used to it thing.
or
you can be smart and try to figure out a way to solve your problem.
but I agree, the texace was there before the person moved in.....

now, my neighbor directly across the street from me has a balcony that they never use and there is this bright white light that every once and a while they must forget, and it shines right into all my windows. it is a big round globe, looks like a mini moon, I know they must have forgotten it, because in all the years they have lived here it is never on.

So the time (not that long ago) they had left it on, OMG, i had to pull the shades all the way down, it made laying in bed terrible as it qould just shine in. we like the window open so cant pull the shade over it. i also would put a plant on the ledge to block it somewhat,but it was still shining in.

one day I wrote them an annoymus letter stating that Im sure it was an oversight that the light has been on for days, and while i dont want to be a complkaining neighbor, unfortunetley the light shines in all my windows all night long. i went on to say that I didnt want to cause hard feeling and that they look like nice people and if they wouldnt mind to shut it off, (since no one ever sits or goes on thier third floor balcony)...
i tried to write it as nice as possible without being in an attack mode.

and after a day or so, the light has been tuirned off and hasnt been on since.

I was so happy.

Old 05-10-2019, 07:10 PM

6,362 posts, read 4,187,402 times
Lighting is an area that is totally subjective and we all have different tolerances and reasons why we want more or less of it. When you are in an area with adjacent houses, I think people should be considerate of their neighbors with their exterior lighting as well as any other aspects of their property that might negatively affect adjacent homeowners, your neighbors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House