Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 05:42 PM

17,214 posts, read 57,064,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
Hi Guys,

I am having an issue with my neighbor. She's my closest neighbor, but our backyards are about 50 feet apart. As you all may know, I am currently separated from my husband and in the midst of a divorce.

He has harassed and stalked me and even broken into my home. Additionally, I am a reasonably attractive woman (unlike my neighbor LOL but it is relevant) living alone. I also like to run in my yard at night, or sit outside and relax.

As a result, I like to leave my security lights on in the backyard on occasion. These lights are not bright. Anyway, the neighbor has complained about them shining into her bedroom window. My initial response was "get thick curtains."

I visited the house and she has some sort of sheer over her bedroom window! No wonder. The lights are so far away, it is a mystery to me how they're bothering anyone. At any rate, I don't care. And frankly, she's getting on my nerves.

She's a nice neighbor and has helped me out (completely unbidden, btw) on a couple of occasions. But she's a busybody, as I have heard from my other neighbor (who is old, but cool and minds his business) and seems a little crazy.

I told her to get some thick curtains if the light bothers her as I don't intend to keep them off for her convenience. I said this perhaps too nicely. For the past 2 days, she called me several times to ask me to turn the lights off...which I must admit I left on because it is my yard. I knew it was her calling, and I did not answer. Nutcase.

Today, she called again and I answered and I told her that she should get curtains and there's nothing I can do about the lights. I subsequently hung up the phone. I'm not breaking any laws, and honestly the lights may be bright to her, but an easy fix is to buy some curtains. She's a doctor and I am pretty sure she can afford them.

In short the woman is completely irritating me and I honestly wish she would move away. I do not complain about her dogs barking at all hours of the day and night OR about her feral cats killing my birds and sh*tting in my yard. OR her honey bees scaring away the native insects in my yard...even though one stung me.

Honestly, I am sure those things would annoy someone, but I am not the sort of person to get upset over foolishness or complain about trivialities. And I am honestly annoyed at someone who has the nerve to complain about what I do on my own property.

Comment if you would like to. I am venting.
This is why I like living in a true rural area. Unless my neighbors take up shooting black powder cannons at night, they are just not going to bother me. I can go out in the yard, and hear his dog barking - if I listen for it. But he's far enough away that none of his noise carries into our house, and vice versa.

We get along real well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2011, 06:16 PM

1,801 posts, read 2,924,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
This is why I like living in a true rural area. Unless my neighbors take up shooting black powder cannons at night, they are just not going to bother me. I can go out in the yard, and hear his dog barking - if I listen for it. But he's far enough away that none of his noise carries into our house, and vice versa.

We get along real well.
Me too, wouldn't live in suburbia again, tried it once, that was enough, having to creep about in your own garden. Must be a bit of give and take with close neighbours. Try to see each others side of things. Some people can be very difficult though.

Old 09-08-2011, 08:11 PM

1,226 posts, read 2,372,804 times
I agree, familiarity breeds contept. Unfortunately, I have about 25 feet. I can actually see what he is watching on TV now. Oh, look, he's having cheese flavored popcorn.

Old 09-08-2011, 11:37 PM

1,212 posts, read 4,911,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
My point is it is my yard. I should be able to turn on my lights whenever I want. If the only issue she has is the lights are bothering her...I believe sheer curtains may not be the wisest choice of window covering. How dare she recommend I spend hundreds of dollars changing my lights?

Also, yes I changed the lights to lighter ones, and I angled them down, as far as I am concerned, I have gone above and beyond. She's bossy and irritating, and I think that if I give in on a property issue like this, she's going to feel she can intrude in other areas. For one, she's been in my yard too many times without being invited (once is enough) and I believe I did a good job drawing the line there.

There are people who are pushy, and believe their way is the right way. I suspect she's one of those. If I let her infringe on my enjoyment of my property re: the light issue, who knows what she'll bring up next. Ugh I remembered she also asked to have her guests park on my property and trespasses across the rear of my property to "hike." The least she should do is shut up about the stupid lights.
I was lurking and reading with interest... but this post compelled me to respond. This is just like someone playing loud music and disturbing their neighbors..

"but it is THEIR stereo and they have the right to play it as loud as they want to enjoy those 200 watts". If someone has a problem they are free to put on some earplugs.

That just sounds so disrespectful and dare I say "ghetto". Maybe you are in the wrong neighborhood. You don't sound very neighborly.

Old 09-08-2011, 11:42 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,347,350 times
My neighbors' security lights make our bedroom too bright, too. It's effin' annoying as hell. I have to buy blackout shades to sleep during the day, anyway. The added perk will be that it will help with the light at night.

Old 09-09-2011, 06:38 AM

1,063 posts, read 1,776,887 times
the OP is either trolling or a sociopath...

Old 09-09-2011, 06:38 AM

373 posts, read 310,191 times
Good neighbors are like good marriages ... sometimes you have to compromise to keep it good. OP should consider the snap on spotlight shades (at least on that side of the house), while the neighbor should consider adding blinds (or something similar) to their windows facing the spotlights.

Neither one HAS TO do anything. But sometimes it's best to feel empathy for one another and compromise.

Old 09-09-2011, 07:04 AM

18,469 posts, read 31,630,721 times
I am sure the lights are annoying but if I was your neighbor I would either plant trees or make something out of wood and canvas to block your light from shining into my house.
Kinda like a clothesline but from fence to fence, not house to fence....something creative. I would not want to have to talk to you and tell you your lights are annoying, commom sense would tell you they are......so being the spiteful man that i am, maybe even a billboard across the yard, anything to block your annoying lights.

Old 09-09-2011, 07:22 AM

6,470 posts, read 16,397,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Why does she owe an explanation???
You are correct. I'm a little less irritated, and other than her complaining about the lights we get along. I'm going to talk to her over the weekend. Honestly, if I can put up with the dogs, the hiking, the cats, the bees and the crowing roosters, she can shut up about the lights and get curtains.

Old 09-09-2011, 07:32 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,337,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorfml View Post
the OP is either trolling or a sociopath...
Isn't that a little unfair???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House