Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 09:37 AM

3,737 posts, read 12,374,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusqueHappy View Post
Why do you assume FKash is being aggressive? Perhaps FKash already knows this person will be mad about it, or is already mad about it, regardless of FKash's data and approach. Who is happy to hear that they are being pushed back behind a fence (except other people who love fences )
Hmmm lets see...maybe because the first sentence about it is: "I'm about to tick off my neighbor". Unless there has already been conversation, the neighbor will certainly be defensive since the fence will be going up in an area that they assume is theirs. Why have drama when it can possibly be avoided in advance? Why do something that is setting up for intentional confrontation? If the neighbors are made aware of the actual land line in advance of the fence then any drama will at least be based on information instead of misunderstanding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2011, 09:40 AM

885 posts, read 1,518,381 times
I read it to mean that FKash had decided to do something and it's going to tick off the neighbor.

The neighbor has revealed resistance to the plan. However, FKash is going to do it anyway, and it's not to be inconsiderate but because he/she needs and wants to do it and it is legal.

I derailed the thread by commenting on this issue tho, sorry OP.

Old 09-09-2011, 09:42 AM

6,470 posts, read 16,359,217 times
Quote:
I read it to mean that FKash had decided to do something and it's going to tick off the neighbor.

The neighbor has revealed resistance to the plan. However, FKash is going to do it anyway, and it's not to be inconsiderate but because he/she needs and wants to do it and it is legal.
I concur. Also, thanks for the concern about my safety. Although you're strangers, I appreciate it. BTW I do have motion sensing lights on other parts of the property. I love those battery-operated outdoor lights. No wiring!

Old 09-09-2011, 11:04 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,102,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
Ya know - I just don't understand why people do things in a way that will almost always be interpreted as aggressive. Yes if its your land, you have every right to fence it but why not let your neighbor know you are doing it? I also have a couple of questions about your survey. How old is it? Is is supported by actual pins in the ground or landmarks? The only reason I'm asking is because a friend of mine (in Florida) went through a land dispute about 5 years ago and he ended up losing some land AND having to pay the neighbor a settlement for putting a fence up in the disputed area. The kicker of his case was that he was going off an old survey where the "landmarks" were no longer there. Why not just approach the neighbor and show them the survey? That way there are no surprises and no hard feelings.
Look, I;m not sure if it is going to make the neighbor upset. I haven't spoken to them (moved in this house less than a month ago). I have made attempts but I never get an answer at their door. Maybe they work strange hours. You're right, I assume the neighbor would be upset with the fence moving 2 more feet into his yard. At least it will be a nice white PVC fence instead of the ugly wood one that is there now.

Survey was done when I was buying the house. Yes, the flags are still in the ground. Title company would have let me use the old survey which was on file. I knew we would want to move the fence so I went ahead and paid to have a new one done. Thanks for the concern, I had read many similar stories as well.

Quote:
Why do you assume FKash is being aggressive? Perhaps FKash already knows this person will be mad about it, or is already mad about it, regardless of FKash's data and approach. Who is happy to hear that they are being pushed back behind a fence (except other people who love fences )
Precisely. I can't imagine someone being pleased about having a fence pushed 2 feet more on their side. But, like I said above, at least it'll be an improvement over the existing fence.

Old 09-09-2011, 11:40 AM

22,415 posts, read 47,402,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaKash View Post
You're right, I assume the neighbor would be upset with the fence moving 2 more feet into his yard. At least it will be a nice white PVC fence instead of the ugly wood one that is there now.
I thought you said that the new fence will be on YOUR property.
In that case, it it not moving 2 more feet into HIS yard... it is in YOUR yard, right?

Old 09-09-2011, 12:03 PM

3,381 posts, read 9,102,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
I thought you said that the new fence will be on YOUR property.
In that case, it it not moving 2 more feet into HIS yard... it is in YOUR yard, right?

Okay, last post about my fence. It's off topic. It is on MY property, but is moving two feet closer to his house.

Old 09-09-2011, 06:40 PM

675 posts, read 1,813,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
I have to agree with motion sensors being a good compromise. Having them come on in the night IS a good alert system and one that the constant light won't provide. Besides, security lights (even at 50 ft) can be really annoying if they are pointed at you. I had the same problem with my neighbors at our last house. They kept their back security lights on all night. I had plantation shutters in the bedroom and the light leaked in around the edges and through the slats sufficiently to both keep me awake and wake me up during the night.

I tooks steps to solve it in a nice way. I went to Home Depot and bought the motion sensor for her light. I delivered it with a dozen chocolate chip cookies and the offer to install it for her. During the same visit she mentioned that she'd really appreciate it if I relocated our "poop bucket" away from the fence line closest to her house. The prevailing winds were blowing the smell right towards her house. We didn't know it until she mentioned it and were happy to do this since we don't like to disturb anyone either.

My point in all of this is talk with her - mention your concerns too and see if you can work on a solution that works for everyone. You definately deserve to feel safe in your home but try and find a way that will keep good relations with your neighbor too. Life is too short for so much drama over something like this
I like you solution

Old 09-09-2011, 06:57 PM

675 posts, read 1,813,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaKash View Post
Survey was done when I was buying the house. Yes, the flags are still in the ground. Title company would have let me use the old survey which was on file. I knew we would want to move the fence so I went ahead and paid to have a new one done. Thanks for the concern, I had read many similar stories as well.

Precisely. I can't imagine someone being pleased about having a fence pushed 2 feet more on their side. But, like I said above, at least it'll be an improvement over the existing fence.
Can I ask, if there's no existing fence, and then when you buy the house, you want to fence your yard, so how can you know where is the boundary for your land?
And do you need to ask for permit from the city/township (or something like that), do you have to hire the fence company or you can do it by yourself?

Old 05-31-2013, 07:16 PM

1 posts, read 1,672 times
Default Good neighbor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
You are correct. I'm a little less irritated, and other than her complaining about the lights we get along. I'm going to talk to her over the weekend. Honestly, if I can put up with the dogs, the hiking, the cats, the bees and the crowing roosters, she can shut up about the lights and get curtains.
I don't understand your reaction. If you get along, why do you want to ruin it? I have a neighbor behind me that has installed 4 bat signals and they are very annoying to live with. Why not solve the problem instead of going to war with your neighbor? Landscape lighting is cheap at Home Depot or Lowes. Put the lights so they shine at your house and not the neighbors windows. Ask her to help pay for it if you want. But your attitude doesn't sound like you are willing to compromise. Ask yourself why should she have to endure YOUR light? I believe you said she was there first. As far as the animals go, if they are noisey, then she should also be a good neighbor and do something about it.

BTW, my neigbor also plays rap music all day and until 10 or 11 at night. Curtains won't stop that. Do yourself and your neighbor a favor. Turn your lights so that it doesn't shine on her house. I am going to offer to buy the neighbor some landscape lights. However, his attitude is likes yours and I expect I will be told what I can do.

Old 05-31-2013, 07:20 PM

10,041 posts, read 17,995,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Bucket View Post
I don't understand your reaction. If you get along, why do you want to ruin it? I have a neighbor behind me that has installed 4 bat signals and they are very annoying to live with. Why not solve the problem instead of going to war with your neighbor? Landscape lighting is cheap at Home Depot or Lowes. Put the lights so they shine at your house and not the neighbors windows. Ask her to help pay for it if you want. But your attitude doesn't sound like you are willing to compromise. Ask yourself why should she have to endure YOUR light? I believe you said she was there first. As far as the animals go, if they are noisey, then she should also be a good neighbor and do something about it.

BTW, my neigbor also plays rap music all day and until 10 or 11 at night. Curtains won't stop that. Do yourself and your neighbor a favor. Turn your lights so that it doesn't shine on her house. I am going to offer to buy the neighbor some landscape lights. However, his attitude is likes yours and I expect I will be told what I can do.
Um, you replied to an almost-two-year-old post ... somehow I think the OP already solved his problem.

Sorry about the rap music though!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House