Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 07:41 AM

175 posts, read 913,882 times

Advertisements

I hope I'm posting this question in the correct forum (I couldn't find another forum that looked more appropriate)...

When I flush my toilet, the water in the tank (from the valve?) shoots UP and leaks over the top of the tank and down onto the floor. I've tried tightening the black valve (see picture), but it doesn't twist or move.

Any suggestions for how to make the water stop shooting UP from the black piece??

Attached Thumbnails
Toilet tank water is spewing UP and OUT-toilet.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2011, 07:48 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Fluidmaster (http://www.fluidmaster.com/index.asp?bhcp=1 - broken link)400A

When you go to the store... buy two.
Keep a spare for the next time a toilet needs it.

Old 09-10-2011, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Fluidmaster (http://www.fluidmaster.com/index.asp?bhcp=1 - broken link)400A

When you go to the store... buy two.
Keep a spare for the next time a toilet needs it.
Are you saying that's something I need to purchase and install myself? It looks like a BIG process for what seems like there would be a simple fix. Also, I have limited DIY/fix-it knowledge and skills so this is foreign to me...but I'm trying to navigate my way and learn! Thanks for any help/advice you can offer.

Old 09-10-2011, 10:40 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by penner View Post
I have limited DIY/fix-it knowledge and skills...
but I'm trying to navigate my way and learn!
Thanks for any help/advice you can offer.
A common housewarming gift:
http://www.amazon.com/New-Fix-Yourse.../dp/0895778718

Find a copy and read up.

Quote:
Are you saying that's something I need to purchase...
and install myself?
Or pay someone who has the skill to do it for you.
Welcome to home ownership.

after a while...

Amazon.com: New Complete Do-It-Yourself Manual (9780895773784): Editors of Reader's Digest: Books

Old 09-10-2011, 10:43 AM

2,413 posts, read 2,985,263 times
We had the exact same problem a few weeks ago. My hubby bought whatever was recommend by the store (Fluidmaster sounds right) and easily replaced it himself in a few minutes. I'll check with him for some advice, but it was quite easy to do.

Old 09-10-2011, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepie2000 View Post
We had the exact same problem a few weeks ago. My hubby bought whatever was recommend by the store (Fluidmaster sounds right) and easily replaced it himself in a few minutes. I'll check with him for some advice, but it was quite easy to do.
Thanks!!

Old 09-10-2011, 10:52 AM

Sold.

Old 09-10-2011, 12:07 PM

2,413 posts, read 2,985,263 times
Well, I checked w hubby and he said that yes it was fluidmaster 400A in a green box. Just follow the directions on the box and it was really easy. Turn off the water, flush the toilet (which empties the tank), sponge out the rest, unscrew the nut on the underside of the tank to disconnect the old one, attach the new one (its height is adjustable), check for leaks and you're done. Let us know how it goes.

Old 09-10-2011, 12:44 PM

10,113 posts, read 19,394,180 times
Look, your house is your biggest investment. Unless you really know what you're doing, and have the tools and skills to do it, call a plumber!

Yes, you will pay, but its worth it, also, many times homeowners insurance won't pay for damage found to be a result of improper maintenance.

At least know where your main water shut off valve is and how to turn it. You might want to get someone to loosen it for you, it might not have been turned for years.

I had happen what you have, I went to step out of the tub, and water was about 3 inches deep, spewing from that toilet valve. I couldn't make the valves on the toilet turn, so managed to turn the outside valve to the house. By the time I got the valve turned, it had ruined half the carpet in the home Insurance did pay for the ruined carpet, but minus the deductible, etc, it would have been cheaper to pay a plumber!

Old 09-10-2011, 02:46 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Look, your house is your biggest investment. Unless you really know what you're doing, and have the tools and skills to do it, call a plumber!
Totally disagree. My husband and I replaced the entire innards of a toilet. We had zero experience. It was effortless.

When it comes to DIY, you will never "really know what you're doing" unless you actually start doing things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House