Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 07:08 AM

1 posts, read 6,484 times

Advertisements

I have single family home (Condo) in Bronx New York, which I want to sell. It badly needs renovation regarding windows replacements and fireplace. I need to calculate the estimate of the cost that will involve in the project. All suggestions and tips are welcome. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2007, 08:28 AM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 11,764,542 times
Call 3 contractors and get them to give you estimates.

Old 08-18-2007, 09:51 PM

3,689 posts, read 10,430,490 times
dont take the lowest estimate, dont take the highest ither. go for mid ground. the lowest could go overbudget or use lower quality materials / workmanship

Old 08-20-2007, 05:30 AM

412 posts, read 1,029,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taul35_villu01 View Post
I have single family home (Condo) in Bronx New York, which I want to sell. It badly needs renovation regarding windows replacements and fireplace. I need to calculate the estimate of the cost that will involve in the project. All suggestions and tips are welcome. Thanks!
Bidding contractors is the smart move. Make sure they are licensed if required in NY. Check their backgrounds through the Home Builders Association and/or Better Business Bureau. Ask for references.

Prepare a written bid sheet for each renovation you are looking at completing so all the contractors are bidding apples for apples. When you meet with each contractor listen to their input. They may suggest items that you missed on your bid sheet. If they do and you find it a legit suggestion, revise your bid sheet and send it to any previous contractors that you had met with before hearing the suggestion.

Make your bid sheet an attachment to the contract. This way there are no surprises to you after they start the renovation.

Old 08-20-2007, 05:44 AM

4 posts, read 13,426 times
Default Estimate calculation before renovation of Home.

You can refer to Home Renovation for the calculation of the estimate cost. It has many specifications like Skylights & Roof Windows, Porch Enclosure etc. in the navigation menu of windows and similar varieties for fireplaces .you can choose according to your needs and calculate the estimate online.

Old 08-20-2007, 06:56 AM

412 posts, read 1,029,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cayden View Post
You can refer to Home Renovation for the calculation of the estimate cost. It has many specifications like Skylights & Roof Windows, Porch Enclosure etc. in the navigation menu of windows and similar varieties for fireplaces .you can choose according to your needs and calculate the estimate online.
Looks like a great concept, I wasn't able to locate any of the services I searched for?

Old 08-25-2007, 01:10 PM

49 posts, read 274,359 times
We are in the process of renovation......it's costing twice as much as we had planned. There's always the little unexpected things popping up!

Old 08-27-2007, 10:49 PM

1,005 posts, read 1,896,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingup View Post
We are in the process of renovation......it's costing twice as much as we had planned. There's always the little unexpected things popping up!
Hi Looking -

I was wondering as I've heard this before, how can an estimate go over by doubling without being considered gross fraud? I understand a few hundred or even thousands, depending on what's being done, but are contractors that poor at doing estimates and/or not realistically visualizing their entire lot of work in advance? Or, are they outright lying so you'll give them the job?

Doubling sounds far more than "unexpected things popping up" & I've seen these sorts of comments on the board before. Gosh, don't you have to resist the urge of chasing him with a broomstick when you see him each day?

I dislike hearing these stories, since I grew up in the time that a handshake was your word. My sympathies to you dollar-wise, but I hope he's doing lovely work... VV

Old 08-27-2007, 11:41 PM

3,689 posts, read 10,430,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittensPurr View Post
Hi Looking -

I was wondering as I've heard this before, how can an estimate go over by doubling without being considered gross fraud? I understand a few hundred or even thousands, depending on what's being done, but are contractors that poor at doing estimates and/or not realistically visualizing their entire lot of work in advance? Or, are they outright lying so you'll give them the job?

Doubling sounds far more than "unexpected things popping up" & I've seen these sorts of comments on the board before. Gosh, don't you have to resist the urge of chasing him with a broomstick when you see him each day?

I dislike hearing these stories, since I grew up in the time that a handshake was your word. My sympathies to you dollar-wise, but I hope he's doing lovely work... VV
There can be situations where the framing of the area to be removed, in say an addition or very extensive remodel is not known. We have a project that had wrapped up about 6 mo. ago. Well needless to say, a few days ago it had to go through redesign of an area of the upper level due to the existing framing being completly different than what we were told it was. This new found item made the cost go up significantly due to the total redesign of the roof in that area. The reason why we did not just rip apart the roof to see what was really in there was the fact that the family was still living in the house while we were doing design. So we could not just ripp it apart and have them live with no ceiling for 6 mo. to 1 year, it was not practial.

If the renovation is just cabinets and countertops and a bit of light changes, there is no reason why it should go double the amount. When moving walls / ceilings / any other part of the house that may contain electrical / structural items, the costs can not be 1000% due to lack of information as to what is behind the gyp. board.

Old 08-28-2007, 05:18 AM

743 posts, read 3,905,373 times
For the smaller jobs, see if they will work by the hour. My father did this when he finished his basement, and it saved him a ton of money. He did it for the plumber and electrician... people who can't easily BS around and look busy when they're doing nothing. Since plumbing/electric usually is pretty quick, and heck, if they slow down, they'll probably do a better job anyways. He was able to get the guys to work for $25-30 an hour, and the job was done in a few days of work. He paid for all the supplies, which also saved him.

Also for the dry-walling, I'm not sure if you're going to do this, but a lot of times they will knock off like $1k from the estimate, if you do your own haul-away of the scraps. Just ask them to leave the scraps in a pile in the middle of the rooms, and then take them to the dumps yourself. The workers usually have to pay money to dispose of the scraps, where-as, as a homeowner, you can take them to the dumps yourself for free.

You know, I just remembered that you're talking about a condo... but I'll leave the stuff about the dry-wall for anyone else who may be reading, and benifit from that knowledge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House