Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 07:27 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,124,732 times

Advertisements

Why do contractors charge sales tax for capital improvement work like remodeling a kitchen/bath?

Is this shady, or do they truly not know it's not legal to do so? I'm in NJ and I read that capital improvement labor is exempt from taxes...

I think even charging sales tax on labor is abit much. Shouldn't they have accounted for sales tax when they estimated for material costs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2011, 10:06 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,257,171 times
It varies state-to-state. I used to work for a chain of auto parts stores in Illinois and Iowa. The Iowa stores charged sales tax on turning brake drums and rotors, the Iowa stores didn't.

Old 09-20-2011, 09:51 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,944,880 times
Although it varies by location I have found sales tax is charged on EVERYTHING. I challenged the fact that I was charged the tax on the expensive building permits for a project and found that the permits have been judged a 'service' and are fully taxable.

Old 09-20-2011, 12:09 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,329,809 times
I pay the tax on my supplies when I buy them.

I pass it on in the total charge, not as a separate fee.

Old 09-20-2011, 12:27 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,875,208 times
.No tax on labor in California. Sales tax can only be charged on material.
Labor must be listed separate from material on invoice

Old 09-20-2011, 05:06 PM

3,748 posts, read 12,400,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimchee View Post
Why do contractors charge sales tax for capital improvement work like remodeling a kitchen/bath?

Is this shady, or do they truly not know it's not legal to do so? I'm in NJ and I read that capital improvement labor is exempt from taxes...

I think even charging sales tax on labor is abit much. Shouldn't they have accounted for sales tax when they estimated for material costs?
Just so you know, in some states you can claim an overpayment of sales tax as an exemption on your state income tax filing. This also varies from state to state so you would need to check if its allowed in NJ.

As for why people do it...because they can!

Old 09-12-2014, 07:12 AM

1 posts, read 8,375 times
I'm a contractor in NJ and a bathroom or kitchen remodel over an existing bath or kitchen is not a capital improvement and is considered maintenance. If you were putting a new bathroom or kitchen where none existed before then it is a capital improvement. It sucks but that's the way it is....IN OTHER WORDS THATS JERSEY...the fee, fine fo me state! Hope this helps clarify.

Old 09-12-2014, 08:53 AM

3,396 posts, read 7,208,408 times
Tax on labor is not a sales tax, it's a service tax. They vary widely from state to state (for instance Illinois has no service tax) and can even vary from industry to industry. Sales taxes do need to be paid on any materials used, but most contractors pay the sales tax at time of purchase and simply list the costs you agreed to pay for the materials.

Check the laws in your state to see what service and sales taxes should apply, and then check the invoice to make sure everything is broken out correctly on the invoice. Frequently contractors don't worry too much about an accurate breakout of the numbers, they just want to do the job at the agreed upon price. A good contractor will include any taxes in the estimate you agree to, so you don't get a surprise when you get the bill. Any breakout of taxes is usually done for their tax reporting purposes.

Old 09-12-2014, 07:05 PM

2,600 posts, read 8,785,881 times
Sales and Use Tax - Contractors

The sales and use tax rate increased from 6% to 7% effective July 15, 2006.

NJ Division of Taxation - Sales and Use Tax Contractors

Old 09-13-2014, 06:05 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,720,946 times
Not sure how applicable, but I have owned businesses in MA and SC. When the labor was more then 50% the total charge, then sales tax sales tax was on the material portion only. Typical example might be to prep and paint a room. Labor would exceed material costs so charge sales tax on the materials alone.

Many will sales tax the entire job then make the "adjustments to their advantage" when paying sales tax to the state.

Examples:

1. The bill to the consumer. Prep and paint a room. $1,000.00 plus 6% sale tax for a total of $1,060.00.

2. Reported to the state on the same job $800 labor, $200 material so 6% collected ($12) on the $200 and reported/paid to the state. An extra $48 made.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House