Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 06:32 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times

Advertisements

[quote=Coldjensens;21238428]That is neat. /quote]
You want to see neat? ... LOL

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2011, 07:59 PM

61,699 posts, read 87,101,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Make sure that one of your children becomes a F.P. repairman before you buy one.
Not true!! I have F&P since 2000 and it runs like new. My son has F&P since 2001 and never had it repaired. Parts are available in the US, and the labor cost is pretty much the same in same kind of washers.

Old 10-14-2011, 01:51 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,072,247 times
FWIW, I was looking at the serial # plate on our Kenmore front loader, the small one they sold awhile back, euro sized - anyway it was built in 2003. We have had zero problems and zero drama out of this washer/dryer pair, it cleans well, does not wear the clothes as much as a top loader does, and have had no issues with funky smells.

On that last point I will note that DW, who is from Kiev, knew from the get-go to leave the door and the soap tray open when the unit is not in use, and we live in a fairly dry area. Like I mentioned before, if you see a washer in someone's home in Eastern Europe anyway, if it's not in use the door will be ajar.

Old 10-14-2011, 02:26 PM

61,699 posts, read 87,101,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
On that last point I will note that DW, who is from Kiev, knew from the get-go to leave the door and the soap tray open when the unit is not in use, and we live in a fairly dry area. Like I mentioned before, if you see a washer in someone's home in Eastern Europe anyway, if it's not in use the door will be ajar.
Yep! That's how it is in my home too...

Old 10-14-2011, 02:59 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,401,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knagy389us View Post
Always had top loaders that lasted FOREVER. When we moved, we left our washer/dryer since we'd be renting short term and didn't want to store them.

The house we recently purchased came with a 5-6 yr old HE front load washer. It has started making a knocking sound which after reading a few forums, looks like the start of tub bearing failure inherent to this model of Kenmore - made by Whirlpool/Frigidaire. It also has a moldy smell to it, which folks have said that you have to run the washer on a cleaning cycle every so often.

So, in my experience over the years, I have owned basically trouble free top loaders and now this front loader, which, after alot of reading, seems like it will grenade in 5-7 years.

I'm pretty handy and have found instructions on how to rebuild this mess, but am ready to just let it run its course and buy a new top loader when it dies.

What's your experience been with washers?
Top Loader

I also had a good experience with a Top Loader. In my condo, my neighbors sold me their old one and it is still running...7 years later.
Unfortunately, top loaders use a lot of water, and now I have septic, I prefer a lower water usage.

I did make the mistake of buying a Maytag high-efficiency top loading machine with low water usage...and it didn't clean my clothes at all. It was also energy star. I think it saved energy by not washing clothes, and saved water by...not using any to clean the clothes.

I do a lot of outside gardening and generally have mud on my clothes. So, if you want low-water usage AND performance, go with a front loader. The technology is better for washing and using little water.

Front Loader

I have a commercial front loader for a building and it takes a beating, saves water and gets clothes REALLY clean. I recently got an LG front loader for the house YAY I LOVE it so much!

The thing about Asian appliances such as my Zojirushi(whatever) rice cooker and the washer...is they make aegyo noises. My clothes are REALLY clean even with my well-water and I use a miniscule amount of detergent...and although my water's free...it saves water. Also, when the cycle's over, it makes the most adorable noise.

If you can afford it, I say a good quality front loader is the way to go. You can read about the science and be convinced. If you want to wash and water usage is no problem, a top-loading GE or Whirlpool is perfect.

Old 10-14-2011, 03:15 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,047,844 times
We have the Whirlpool duet with steam front loaders... We love them. It used to be I had to do two - four loads a day to keep the mountain of laundry down. Now I have to let the mountain build up enough so that I have a full load to do! I love seeing empty dity clothes hampers on a weekly basis - so cool.

I have not had the weird smelling results that I hear others complain about. I use the affresh tablets once a month in my washer like you're supposed to, and I also once a month do a cleaning cycle with a cup of bleach. I also am careful to wipe out the seal/door area with a bleachwater solution dampened towel about once a week while I'm doing my other household cleaning. And, I also use a very small amount of detergent - about 2 TB per load. I read the manual very carefully when we first got the machines and I follow what it says to do.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE my dryer!!! I love being able to dry 7 pairs of jeans in 38 minutes. I love how soft and fluffy my towels are. I do NOT use fabric softener with my towels because doing that lessens their ability to absorb moisture - which is the point of towels... So I only use detergent with my towels - no other laundry additives. My washer and dryer set has a steam and sanitize setting so I use that for my towels and sheets/bed linens. They turn out super soft and very clean and fresh smelling.

When our kids leave home and it's just my husband and I.... I might switch back to small top-loading machines because we will have a lot less laundry and most likely move into a much smaller space and not have room for these larger machines... but I dunno... these front loaders are pretty awesome. And I LOVE not having to go to the laundry mat to wash our comforters and blankets and pillows... Decisions, decisions...

Old 10-14-2011, 03:15 PM

4,423 posts, read 7,366,552 times
There are top load washers that work like front loaders. I have a top loading Fisher Paekal. I've had it for 6 years and I love it. It wrings clothes so dry that the dryer takes almost no time at all. My son has a front loader. It always looks so nasty.

Old 10-14-2011, 03:18 PM

4,423 posts, read 7,366,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Make sure that one of your children becomes a F.P. repairman before you buy one.
I think they've had problems with their dishwashers. I love my FP top loader and I'd buy another one in a heartbeat.

Old 10-16-2011, 04:44 PM

27 posts, read 37,233 times
We had a FP in our old house I loved that thing but ended up selling it with the house, my parents bought a set 6-7 years ago and love it too. With our new house as soon as the offer was accepted I was down purchasing a brand new FP! 4 kids 2 adults one of which works in construction and our clothes are clean and we don't have to buy extra things to clean our washing machine.

Old 10-16-2011, 06:06 PM

4,030 posts, read 10,763,494 times
I've got a top loader washer, but it is the Maytag Bravos, which is basically the same thing as a front loader, just turned up. No agitator, low water use, requires HE detergent, glass top washer and glass front dryer. I wanted a front loader pair, but if I put them on the pedestal, they were too tall and wouldn't fit under the cabinets above. I love them. I use liquid detergent (Tide Free), bleach and fabric softener. I've had zero problems, but I always leave the washer open when I'm not using it and I run the washer cleaning cycle monthly. And I do wipe down the rubber gasket on the top of the washer occasionally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House