Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 11:14 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,598,282 times

Advertisements

The contractor can install a support beam if it's a load bearing wall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2011, 11:34 PM

5,697 posts, read 19,071,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle Jim View Post
This one isn't a perfect view, but it's all I've got available at the moment. I think it will show the distance well enough...

Attachment 85286

Hopes, I see what you're saying and that may be something to consider. I see what you're saying about the deeper counter space being useless compared to a longer run of cabinet top. Thanks for the suggestion and for the photo!
Thanks the added photo helps. I have been looking at the pictures and I can see how the wall bugs you. I am wondering if a very large arch way would give you the feeling of openness that you want but also conceals the door into the garage from the view of the living room. Basically a very large arch in the center. I don't think using the sofa to separate the rooms would work. I think moving the sofas to the walls in the living room will give you the walk area you need to go back and forth between the kitchen and the living room. I am sitting here studying my own family room and kitchen. They are open to each other. My room sizes are similar and I don't have any furniture separating the rooms. When I get my camera charged I can post some pics so you can see what I am talking about.

Old 09-26-2011, 12:12 AM

21 posts, read 117,385 times
fallingwater, I may have come up with an idea that is along the lines of what you are talking about. I didn't know you had posted when I did this, so let me know if what you are talking about is something different. Since the layout of our living room pretty-much mandates that we have a couch in that location, we need something for it to set against. In other words, putting the couch somewhere else and leaving a complete opening there is not an option.

This idea maintains the wall and eliminates the need for fixing the ceiling or rerouting the wiring. (There are plugs on both sides of the wall and a switch and alarm pad on the kitchen side.) What if I opened the wall up more, making it more of true half-wall (or less) and making it less intrusive/obstructive? It wouldn't then look so much like a regular wall that has a hole cut into it, like it does now. Please forgive my limited MS Paint skills. The white lines at the base of the opening represent white wood trim that could be added.

The space gained by removing the bar and stools would enable us to expand the size of the island top and leave plenty of room between it and the wall.

Should I remove this wall, or will it make the floor plan too open?-lr-larger.jpg

Should I remove this wall, or will it make the floor plan too open?-kitchen-larger.jpg

Old 09-26-2011, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle Jim View Post
fallingwater, I may have come up with an idea that is along the lines of what you are talking about. I didn't know you had posted when I did this, so let me know if what you are talking about is something different. Since the layout of our living room pretty-much mandates that we have a couch in that location, we need something for it to set against. In other words, putting the couch somewhere else and leaving a complete opening there is not an option.

This idea maintains the wall and eliminates the need for fixing the ceiling or rerouting the wiring. (There are plugs on both sides of the wall and a switch and alarm pad on the kitchen side.) What if I opened the wall up more, making it more of true half-wall (or less) and making it less intrusive/obstructive? It wouldn't then look so much like a regular wall that has a hole cut into it, something like the images below. Please forgive my limited MS Paint skills. The white lines at the base of the opening represent white wood trim that could be added.

The space gained by removing the bar and stools would enable us to expand the size of the island top and leave plenty of room between it and the wall.

Attachment 85310

Attachment 85311
You are thinking of adding trim to give the wall some character? Like framing the hole with trim? I think it might add more detail to what you dislike. What you could do is leave the wall in tact at the ceiling. Then cut a large archway in the center. Then add more to the wall where you enter the kitchen now. I am going to hunt down some pics on the internet so I can show a visual of what I am talking about.

Old 09-26-2011, 12:23 AM

43,011 posts, read 107,598,282 times
It might be best to close up the wall opening completely and focus on your kitchen design for more counter space.

You have enough room for a longer island that extends to the dining area side of the refrigerator.

Also, I don't believe the layout of your livingroom mandates the sofa be placed where it is. If you moved your TV to the wall that's not in the picture, the wall opposite to where the TV is currently located, you'll can move the sofa to where the TV is located and turn the chair so the back is more to the window. You'll be amazed at how much bigger your living room will feel. Even if you leave the wall there, I'd try rearranging the funiture to help you feel like you have more space.

Old 09-26-2011, 12:26 AM

Food for thought...

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-iHJKdUQuGq...00/archway.jpg

Old 09-26-2011, 12:33 AM

Something else to mention and don't beat me up. lol. I find the color of the kitchen and living room clash. Visually this also makes the wall pop where you don't want it to. The colors individually are not bad but when seen together draws more attention to the whole in the wall.

Old 09-26-2011, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
You are thinking of adding trim to give the wall some character? Like framing the hole with trim? I think it might add more detail to what you dislike. What you could do is leave the wall in tact at the ceiling. Then cut a large archway in the center. Then add more to the wall where you enter the kitchen now. I am going to hunt down some pics on the internet so I can show a visual of what I am talking about.
The idea for the white board and trim would have been for the bottom only, but I could be talked out of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
It might be best to close up the wall opening completely and focus on your kitchen design for more counter space.

You have enough room for a longer island that extends to the dining area side of the refrigerator.

Also, I don't believe the layout of your livingroom mandates the sofa be placed where it is. If you moved your TV to the wall that's not in the picture, the wall opposite to where the TV is currently located, you'll can move the sofa to where the TV is located and turn the chair so the back is more to the window. You'll be amazed at how much bigger your living room will feel. Even if you leave the wall there, I'd try rearranging the funiture to help you feel like you have more space.
The reason we have never placed the TV on the opposite wall is because it would be in front of the front door, and the light from the door (and the side lites on each side) would interfere with the TV picture. Also, the distance from the viewer to the TV would be 20', which seems like a long way away. I suppose we could entertain the notion, though.

Quote:
I guess the answer to this question should be obvious, but does this plan mean that the couch does not sit in front of the arch? (Hope that's not a dumb question, but it probably is.)

Old 09-26-2011, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Something else to mention and don't beat me up. lol. I find the color of the kitchen and living room clash. Visually this also makes the wall pop where you don't want it to. The colors individually are not bad but when seen together draws more attention to the whole in the wall.
We just did our basement in chocolate and caramel shades (well, maybe not really "caramel", but a lighter shade than the chocolate) and really like that look. We've discussed using those colors in this area. The red is admittedly pretty bold.

Old 09-26-2011, 12:47 AM

Sorry for the triple post, but forgot to ask one thing:

Is the idea of making the opening larger but keeping the partial wall undesirable or something you would advise against? Be honest, of course. No offense will be taken.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House