Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 05:31 PM

520 posts, read 1,004,943 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't knock it down. I'd make it a half-wall as opposed to its current design of a pass-through. I think its easier and less expensive than the complete demo of the wall. Knocking down the wall would, IMHO, make it look too open, provide no separation of space between the kitchen and family room.

Also, that eating space attached on the kitchen side, I'd fix the counter top to the top of the half wall and get some taller stools in there. Just a thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2011, 07:53 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,379,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauriedeee View Post
When you say 'island' are you talking about the cabinet island thing or the area where the chairs are? I think if you put a peninsula right where the wall is now where the chairs are, and hung up some pendant lights above it, you'd have a nice division from kitchen to living room, but it would still have an open feel to it.

I hope that made sense. I'm a little sleepy.
exactly what i would do. i lived in an apartment with this exact type of setup. the room ended up being about the size of what the OP posted.

the downside to this open "living room" is that if you are an audiophile, you're surround sound system won't sound as good. minor sacrifice though.

Old 09-27-2011, 08:37 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,736,948 times
I'd at least get rid of the counter under the opening and then have th opening trimmed out with a narrow shelf at bottom and trim around the opening. Its just a hole in the wall as is.

Old 10-10-2014, 01:00 PM

21 posts, read 117,675 times
Very belated update: We did the remodel in the spring of 2012, some six months after this thread was started. I had meant to post the updated photos in the days following the completion of the remodel, but forgot to do so. I stumbled across this bookmarked thread while cleaning old bookmarks out of my browser. So, better late than never, I guess.

We ended up removing the wall between the living room and kitchen. The Formica counter tops were replaced with black granite, including a larger top on the island that now accommodates three stools. The cabinets were painted white, new appliances installed, and the pot rack replaced with two pendant lights.

The breezeway door was moved from separating the kitchen and breezeway to a new location, separating the breezeway and garage. We now have a mini mud room and a pantry that was previously used as part of the garage. The kitchen laminate flooring and living room carpet were replaced with hardwood throughout.

We have absolutely no regrets about removing the wall. It's great that those in the living room can communicate with those who are, say, preparing a meal. The downside is that conversations held in the kitchen interfere with television viewing on a regular basis, so there is that to consider. It's also amazing how much more voices and other noises carry since the carpet has been replaced with hardwood, which I consider a downside, as well.

I apparently cannot edit the original post, so I'll repeat the old photos here, along with the updated ones.
Attached Thumbnails
Should I remove this wall, or will it make the floor plan too open?-lr-old.jpg   Should I remove this wall, or will it make the floor plan too open?-lr-new.jpg   Should I remove this wall, or will it make the floor plan too open?-kitchen-old.jpg   Should I remove this wall, or will it make the floor plan too open?-kitchen-new.jpg  

Old 10-10-2014, 01:36 PM

1,723 posts, read 4,091,371 times
Thanks for the update. I was just thinking of your post the other day and wondering how you made out. The place looks great and I love the 'new' kitchen.

Did you do the work yourself?

Old 10-10-2014, 02:20 PM

3,158 posts, read 4,582,552 times
Looks great! Major improvement...

Old 10-10-2014, 02:50 PM

Thanks, guys.

I painted the cabinets (it's amazing what sponge rollers can do), installed the appliances, painted the walls, and did the interior trim and crown moulding. We actually replaced the interior trim throughout the entire house as part of a significant overhaul, which also involved replacing carpet with that same wood flooring throughout.

The wall was removed by a professional carpenter who was here doing the other work throughout the house, along with an electrician who dealt with those issues. Flooring was done professionally, as well.

Old 10-10-2014, 03:00 PM

1,723 posts, read 4,091,371 times
Did they replace the ceiling? You can't even tell that there was once a wall there.

Old 10-10-2014, 03:52 PM

They just drywalled in the missing section and then matched the texture as well as they could. Since the mud didn't match the rest of the ceiling, I had to paint the entire ceiling. It needed it anyway, though. You can tell where the repair is if you're just sitting staring at the ceiling, but I doubt anyone but us has ever noticed.

Old 10-10-2014, 03:55 PM

15,853 posts, read 35,091,145 times
I have never been a fan of open kitchens. I think that the smell of food cooking is revolting. Not to mention the fact that if there are dirty dishes after dinner who wants to look at them? I am all for kitchens that are out of sight.

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House