Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is your primary residence in an HOA?
Yes 41 43.62%
No, but it is encumbered by covenants and deed restrictions 5 5.32%
No 48 51.06%
I live in an apartment 0 0%
I am homeless 0 0%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 02:03 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times

Advertisements

OUr response is slightly misleading. Our house is encumbered because it is a historical home that we got for $1 from the local historical society. Part of the deal was we had to agree not to compromise the historical integrity and to obtain approval for any major changes. Thus it is encumbered, but not int he manner probably contemplated in the poll.

I woudl be highly unlikely to live in a place with an HOA. I like to run with scissors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2011, 02:53 PM

393 posts, read 1,202,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
No and NEVER. Around here HOA are not common except in townhome developments. They make sense there because the HOA owns the buildings and you need (by law) someone to oversee those. For a regular residential neighborhood, no WAY would I live in one that has a HOA.
I've lived in my townhouse under an HOA and they DO NOT own the buildings. That said, I have no problems with my HOA. In fact, I wish they would be a bit stricter. Both my neighbors' backyards are horrendous. I've complained to the HOA to no avail. Where I live, it's nearly impossible to find a development of any kind of house that does not have an HOA.

Old 10-07-2011, 03:01 PM

4,423 posts, read 7,369,132 times
LOVE IT!!! Our last five homes have been in HOAs. No yapping dogs, no school buses, no rusted out heaps, no loud parties, no front yard tomato gardens, etc..... Wouldn't live any other way!

Old 10-07-2011, 03:08 PM

4,423 posts, read 7,369,132 times
Quote:
Really? I thought by law they had to have an HOA in townhome complexes. People that own townhomes don't own the actual building, just the "inside" of the townhome so there has to be an organization that owns the actual buildings.
It depends where the townhouse is located. Here in MA, the association is responsible for the outside so we don't have roofing bills; siding, painting... it's all taken care of. In Northern Virginia, we owned the outside and we were responsible for even the roofs which never made sense because how can you replace only your section of the roof. Either way, I love the carefree life of a HOA.

Old 10-07-2011, 04:32 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,073,910 times
We live in an HOA for a community of single family homes and like it just fine. The HOA is necessary to maintain the common areas (landscaped blvd, entrances, swimming pool, tennis courts, hike and bike trails thru the greenbelt) and the fees are very reasonable. All officers are home owners and all homeowners have a say in how things are done. I like the fact that we have an HOA which has a say over what kind of changes people can make to their houses, and which reminds people who slack off that they need to maintain their property. I don't want to live next door to someone who paints their house pink, or never paints it at all and lets it get run down, negatively effecting my property values.

Old 10-07-2011, 04:47 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,073,910 times
Quote:
We have city ordinances against stuff like this so HOA's are not necessary in our area. Our town has amenities, pools, etc. that anyone can use so again, no HOA necessary. We don't have any neighbors with unsightly things in their yards either.
Odds are that your City ordinances will not prevent your neighbors from letting the grass grow for 6 months without mowing it, letting the paint weather and peel on the exterior, letting the roofing shingles age mildew and curl while refusing to spend a dime maintaining any of this. Most City ordinances won't prevent a small contractor from moving in next door to you and storing his construction trailer and extra materials in the front and side yards or parking his extra truck on the lawn.

We had problems like this in the previous subdivision we bought in, but not here where we now have an HOA.

Old 10-07-2011, 04:53 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,574,372 times
NO, ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!!! I looked at a piece of land to have a house built on it several years ago - I have never heard of a HOA at that time. The guy handed me a 3 page list of "rules" before we even started to talk seriously about any purchase or even really look at the land. I quickly scanned the list and asked a few questions - he said they could "evict" you if you were caught in violation of any of the covents and I thought he was kidding. He absolutely was not. I handed back his list and got in the car. I would not even consider spending my own hard earned cash on a house and then have someone tell me how to decorate it, what kind of fence to have, how much company I can have, how many pets I can own, etc. I can't believe that is the American dream - not mine anyway. It would never be a lifestyle I would want.

Old 10-08-2011, 06:39 AM

7,474 posts, read 22,884,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFoulke View Post
NO, ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!!! I looked at a piece of land to have a house built on it several years ago - I have never heard of a HOA at that time. The guy handed me a 3 page list of "rules" before we even started to talk seriously about any purchase or even really look at the land. I quickly scanned the list and asked a few questions - he said they could "evict" you if you were caught in violation of any of the covents and I thought he was kidding. He absolutely was not. I handed back his list and got in the car. I would not even consider spending my own hard earned cash on a house and then have someone tell me how to decorate it, what kind of fence to have, how much company I can have, how many pets I can own, etc. I can't believe that is the American dream - not mine anyway. It would never be a lifestyle I would want.
It sounds like you don't like following rules, exactly the kind of people the HOA's don't need or want, so it is a win wins situation, everyone is happy you moved on....

Old 10-08-2011, 06:50 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,089,604 times
LOL, he told you they could evict you for not following an HOA rule? Man, somebody really didn't want you buying property there. He was pulling your leg, BTW.

Old 10-09-2011, 08:53 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,314,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
Odds are that your City ordinances will not prevent your neighbors from letting the grass grow for 6 months without mowing it, letting the paint weather and peel on the exterior, letting the roofing shingles age mildew and curl while refusing to spend a dime maintaining any of this. Most City ordinances won't prevent a small contractor from moving in next door to you and storing his construction trailer and extra materials in the front and side yards or parking his extra truck on the lawn.

We had problems like this in the previous subdivision we bought in, but not here where we now have an HOA.
Actually they do. If people don't mow, all you have to do is call the city and they come out and either talk to them or they mow and send a bill. There are fines for not keeping your property in good repair, not shoveling in the winter, etc. There are regulations for parking RV's, service vehicles, etc. They have to be in and enclosed space (garage or shed) and can't be left out for more than 24 hours. We have never had an issue with anyone with these things, ever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House