Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 11:00 AM

965 posts, read 4,500,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
Thanks. I will try to get a pic up by tomorrow. I was also thinking a bench or something like that. I wish I could get HGTV in here to fix this.
Now, please don't laugh, but you might be on to something with regards to HGTV. Your needs are unique, and if you wrote them, they might consider your request really different and end up featuring you on one of their shows. They show plenty of folks adding greenery, but so far, that I've seen, no one has requested landscaping to decrease insects.

You never know!

Whew, didn't know if CD would let me edit my post, but I just remembered topiaries! They are extremely manicured/pruned, so you won't get the branch spread that you would with normal trees, and they come in all sorts of sizes and shapes.

Last edited by virgo; 08-23-2007 at 11:15 AM.. Reason: Forgot to add something
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2007, 01:57 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,777,604 times
Actually I have applied to HGTV for contests in regards to my yard. I haven't won obviously but maybe I can write to them. I thought about topiaries but I would think they still attract bugs.

Old 08-23-2007, 02:14 PM

965 posts, read 4,500,668 times
Quote:
Actually I have applied to HGTV for contests in regards to my yard. I haven't won obviously but maybe I can write to them. I thought about topiaries but I would think they still attract bugs.
Well, boohoo on the topiaries, but good luck with HGTV!!

Old 08-27-2007, 11:23 AM

2,222 posts, read 10,649,653 times
Quote:
Here is a picture of a house we bought in January. Since then we have removed all trees, bushes and plants around the house. What can we replace them with that would look nice? We are going to have flowers, trees etc... around the yard but we don't want then near the house due to the bug issue I have. (that's on another thread) Thanks for your ideas!

What about planting culinary herbs? They are beautiful when they flower and they can be used in the kitchen. But they might attract bees when they flower, so you may not want to plant them right next to entry. Also, marigolds are insect resistent. You could also use large rocks or boulders to hide areas.

Nice house. Would like to see photo after removal of plants, etc.

Old 08-27-2007, 12:58 PM

Location: When things get hot they expand. Im not fat. Im hot.
2,520 posts, read 6,327,828 times
Quote:
Here is a picture of a house we bought in January. Since then we have removed all trees, bushes and plants around the house. What can we replace them with that would look nice? We are going to have flowers, trees etc... around the yard but we don't want then near the house due to the bug issue I have. (that's on another thread) Thanks for your ideas!
This is HARD. Usually people want to add stuff. Im a kinda outide the box kinda gal. Maybe one of my wierd ideas will work. Ya never know. Sooo. Here goes.

First for the crawl space you need panels of decorative lattice painted white or what ever color the porch railings are. No cheap plastic. This needs to be the real deal cause its gonna be front and center. No plants to hide behind.

Since you have such a phobia about bugs I dont think youre going to be happy with any kind of landscaping around the house. So to add interest I would treat the front of the house as an extension of the inside. The porch would be a decorated room. Porch swing. Rockers. Small stands. Painted rugs. Lots of intersting klediments. Maybe even some fake greenery and faux plants in hanging baskets. Yes I know fake. But If you look you can find some pretty realistic stuff.

Then down below would be two more small rooms. A large curved pathway as wide as the steps would go from the street to the porch with fleurs along the sides. On either side of the steps would be a huge pot or urn wth lots of posies.

On the left side. The side opposite the porch do a small patio with a small decorative iron table and a couple chairs. On the porch side a bench and a decorative bird bath. Again on a small patio. Large pots with posies here and there.

Now I know you said no statuary but hear me out. You need SOMETHING for height and color. Im thinking decorative bird houses on different height posts. . Then just a few small realistic dog and cat statues laying here and there..

Old 08-27-2007, 01:14 PM

2,222 posts, read 10,649,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecilia_Rose View Post
First for the crawl space you need panels of decorative lattice painted white or what ever color the porch railings are. No cheap plastic. This needs to be the real deal cause its gonna be front and center. No plants to hide behind.
We did this at our house and love it. Perhaps you could lay stone all around the front to make a sunny sitting area and add flower pots and perhaps a fountain.

Old 08-29-2007, 04:03 PM

Great ideas! Thank you so much. We are still working on the removal a bit, so I'll have to post the pics when done.

Old 08-30-2007, 07:28 AM

2,349 posts, read 10,655,964 times
I forgot a jewel of a plant for ya! How about that Jackson and Perkins rose that is disease resistant? They are kinda spendy, maybe $15-18 per plant. I have several and they are completely easy care and just so beautiful. I have had NO trouble with bugs on these roses. These are low-growing shrub roses with dark pink blooms. And some echinacea for color. Now these little guys are heat/pest/disease free too.
Attached Thumbnails
Need Suggestions for exterior of house....-echinacea.jpg  

Old 09-02-2007, 03:45 PM

I finially took some pictures and it's embarrassing. I'm a neat freak and you wouldn't know it by my yard! The pictures are of all sides, including the back yard and the front yard. I've been going to stores and looking on the internet looking for sales on outdoor decor being it's the end of the summer. I'd really like to use some of the ideas suggested.
Attached Thumbnails
Need Suggestions for exterior of house....-img_0065.jpg   Need Suggestions for exterior of house....-img_0066.jpg   Need Suggestions for exterior of house....-img_0067.jpg   Need Suggestions for exterior of house....-img_0068.jpg   Need Suggestions for exterior of house....-img_0069.jpg  

Need Suggestions for exterior of house....-img_0070.jpg   Need Suggestions for exterior of house....-img_0071.jpg   Need Suggestions for exterior of house....-img_0072.jpg  

Old 09-02-2007, 03:46 PM

I was at my eight pic max.
Attached Thumbnails
Need Suggestions for exterior of house....-img_0073.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House