Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 01:27 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,141,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelBy View Post
Yeah, that's why when we're looking for houses, we don't want the house next to someone with the pool because I saw the neighbor's kids jumping, screaming and splashing around their pool the whole afternoon when I was at an open house in the summer. Besides that, I feel uncomfortable and embarrassed if we're on the deck look to the neighbor's pool with some people sunbathing ...
(Before reading some post in CD forum, I still like cul-de-sac location, but after that, I change my mind...)
Living on the cul-de-sac I found is an interesting experience. After my previous experience of horrid neighbors I really liked the idea of a cul-de-sac. The house we have now is on an acre and is the largest lot in the sub. Whomever built the house wanted the premium lot and bought over half the cul-de-sac. Pretty much I am situated on the center of it and my neighbor takes up the rest. The cul-de-sac is large and deep and it really appealed to me as my house has a lot of frontage as well. Its just has a peaceful feel being away from everyone. After moving in I discovered that many have cul-de-sac envy. My other neighbors whom have large lots themselves like to park in front of my house. Not all the time but it seems that out of the blue they get a bug up their arse and have to park in front of my house. Now what makes it strange to me is if they do this, its a walk to their houses. It totally makes more sense to park closer to their houses even if its in the street. Our sub is devoid of traffic so that isn't an issue. Its like this mentality of we want to take a little of what you got.

We have two cars and although both fit in the driveway, it can be tight getting in and out. Since we have so much room (which was a premium by the way), we like to park the second car in front of our house. My neighbor across the street decided one month that he had to park in front of my house. I found it a bit ridiculous since the cul-de-sac is so deep and his house is situated across the street. So that means he had to walk the depth of the cul-de-sac, then cross the street, then walk up the front of his property. His lot is large and he has about 200 feet across the front of his house and another 100 on the side. Enough room to park his car directly in front of his house or on the side. He parked his car in front of our house for a month. No reason I could tell. He seems like an okay guy just not sure what his reasoning was. So one day my husband decides to be a smart ass and parked his car in front of the neighbors house. It must of irked the guy cuz he never parked in front of our house again. lol.

The neighbor kids down the street will come down and play in the cul-de-sac. Now I don't mind that much except they were using my curb as a bike ramp one day and smacked into the back of my car leaving a dent (which happened to be in the driveway at the time). I saw them do it and they took off. The car is old so whatever but the next time I saw them I told them not use my curb as a ramp. I heard later their mother didn't like me saying that. Ahh well. My neighbor set up a basketball net on her side and kids from all over come and use it. She said it does annoy her (since it has been broken a few times and basketballs go missing) but she figures since she put it out there, she can't really shoo anyone off (I would). I wish she would take it down. Her kids never use it. One day I came home and two families that live 6 houses down (remember we have big lots so its a walk) had a large basketball game in front of my house using the neighbors net (without asking I might add). They played till dark which was almost 10 pm at night. Our little peaceful existence was interrupted of a banging basketball for hours.

The only serious gripe that I really have though is in the winter. We get tons of snow here. A guy 2 houses down owns his own snow plow. He took it upon himself to build a large snow hill in the cul-de-sac for my neighbors kids. He started it about 5 yrs ago and my neighbor loves it. I find it annoying since its directly in front of my house. I don't want to be a buzz kill since everyone seems to think tis cool but I guess I will have to be at some point. It is so large I can't see down the street. What peeves me about this is when it snows again, the county won't plow in our cul-de-sac. They have stated several times they will not touch any area that looks like kids are playing. A couple of years ago, a snow plow driver almost ran over a kid that had built a fort in a snow bank by the road. Well my neighbors kids leave their sleds on the snow hill. So of course the county guys come through, see the sleds and avoid this whole spot. That pisses me off. I get it can be fun for the kids but when I get stuck in front of my house when the street just outside of the cul-de-sac is clear, I am not a happy person. Last year it was a bit comical. County guy comes through, sees me outside shoveling and pulls over to b**** me out about the hill. I told him I had nothing to do with it. He gave me a dirty look and drove off. Good day to you too! Well the snow plow neighbor came home and plowed the cul-de-sac. County guy came back through to do a second pass and sees who's doing it. About 3 days later, same county guy comes back with a large tractor with a bucket lift thingy on the front around 10 pm at night. He totally dismantled the hill and piled it all on the neighbors lawn 2 houses down. You couldnt even see the guy's house anymore from the street. I heard the snow plow neighbor was fuming. I am kind of hoping this winter the guy doesn't build the snow hill again.

Ahh...life on the cul-de-sac. The reality is no matter where you live, someone is going to annoy you. Hopefully, its something you can tolerate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2011, 08:45 AM

1,946 posts, read 7,373,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
You don't get "lucky". You investigate the neighborhood, ask around at the police station, grocery stores, and anyone else you can think of, and then if possible you park for a Friday and Saturday night in the drive of the house you are considering. I would NEVER consider a place with close neighbors unless I could do at least a half dozen drive-thru visits of at least twenty minutes at various "prime" times for problems.

Yeah, someone bad could move in next door after you have purchased, but that is much more likely with apartment living.
Good advice!!

Old 10-16-2011, 09:15 AM

675 posts, read 1,816,404 times
fallingwater: your cul de sac is very large, and you have an acre lot, that's why you're far with your neighbors. Some cul de sac is very narrow, and each single house has only about 1/4 acre or less, and I read in other posts, there's parties or barbecues in the cul de sac every weekend, and they blocked the area for parties ...

Old 10-16-2011, 10:56 AM

6,864 posts, read 12,075,211 times
RETIRED neighbor behind me mows his lawn only on Sundays at 9.30AM
I really don't get it.
Other neighbors have barking yard dogs. And then there are the neighbors [3] who decided that they absolutely needed a basket ball hoop in their driveway and street [1]. Then there was the neighbor two houses down opposite side of street who had a 16 year old son who thought he could play a guitar and started a garage band and of course left the door open.
Played when the parents weren't home. There is 'noise' and then there is is 'real noise'. That lasted for about a month and stopped after a few visits from the police. ALL the neigbors had enough of that.

Old 10-16-2011, 03:08 PM

675 posts, read 1,816,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
Other neighbors have barking yard dogs. And then there are the neighbors [3] who decided that they absolutely needed a basket ball hoop in their driveway and street [1]. Then there was the neighbor two houses down opposite side of street who had a 16 year old son who thought he could play a guitar and started a garage band and of course left the door open.
Played when the parents weren't home. There is 'noise' and then there is is 'real noise'. That lasted for about a month and stopped after a few visits from the police. ALL the neigbors had enough of that.
I can't stand that, especially with the basket ball hooping and the band playing hours and hours ...

Old 10-16-2011, 08:36 PM

399 posts, read 1,803,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
I drove by it a few months back. The neighbors were in the driveway.

Great stories. Sorry you had to go through all that, but wow, just hilarious.

Old 10-17-2011, 11:46 AM

1,322 posts, read 4,237,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
Then there was the neighbor two houses down opposite side of street who had a 16 year old son who thought he could play a guitar and started a garage band and of course left the door open.
how do the police address the music if it is not after 10pm?

Old 10-17-2011, 12:29 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just1Lion View Post
how do the police address the music if it is not after 10pm?
Most areas have a noise level limit. You cannot make continuous noise abouve a certain level regardless of the time of day. Getting the police to bring out their decible meter thingy and check it can be difficult (unless you know or are the mayor).

Old 10-17-2011, 07:36 PM

1,846 posts, read 3,939,373 times
About 20 years ago I had a noisy neighbor, and called (College Station, Texas) police to ask how loud was acceptable. Their answer? "If it is loud enough to bother you, Ma'am, it is too loud and we will take care of it."

Needless to say I liked that answer. They did, too.

Old 10-17-2011, 07:40 PM

3,088 posts, read 5,354,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA2SGF View Post
About 20 years ago I had a noisy neighbor, and called (College Station, Texas) police to ask how loud was acceptable. Their answer? "If it is loud enough to bother you, Ma'am, it is too loud and we will take care of it."

Needless to say I liked that answer. They did, too.

Yes, there are remedies for neighbors that are too loud, have barking dogs, etc.
I've only had one "bad" neighbor, but she was really bad! Mental illness can and does occur in the general population, but I know of no way to predict it. . . .she seemed nice enough for the first couple of year, then she went "off the rails". . .. the police were as helpful to me as they could be, but I finally got a restraining order against her. She moved when I built a wall between her property and mine. . . .that was a day to celebrate!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House