Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 10:56 AM

1,920 posts, read 4,319,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post

Tell us you're exaggerating!
I wish I was. It was about 40 years ago, right after I graduated college. When I visited the apt, I chased off some guy who was trying to break into the apt next door with a crowbar.

The fumigation worked until that house was fumigated and then the cockroaches simply marched back into our building.

The apt that I lived in had to be completely repainted by me since the previous owner painted the walls and the wood work black.

It was a different time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2011, 10:59 AM

What about the stuff called RoachPruf? It causes them to have babies that are sterile, so they die out fairly quickly.

Old 10-18-2011, 10:28 AM

4,468 posts, read 7,999,911 times
Run like hell, and never,never ever leave a crumb out...they can find a drop of anything...

Old 10-18-2011, 01:42 PM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Meh. Search in the forum for my post on how to get rid of them. Not going to repeat myself, other than to say I cleared MAJOR infestations out of movie theatres in a few days.

Old 10-19-2011, 05:11 AM

2,495 posts, read 4,356,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
In some states, pretty much everyone has them but a lot of people do nto know it.

Catch a handful. Put them in a skillet with olive oil, Lawyries seasoned salt, some lemon, and a bit of garlic. Makes a nice munching snack. Kind of like chex mix.
This is the most disgusting post i've EVER read in these parts!!!! *vomit*

Old 10-19-2011, 11:09 AM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
"This is the most disgusting post i've EVER read in these parts!!!! *vomit*"

<shrug> Grasshoppers are kosher, if that helps.

Old 10-19-2011, 11:26 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Percentage View Post
This is the most disgusting post i've EVER read in these parts!!!! *vomit*
People eat bugs all over the world. Look up Mopane worms. They are actually a nice snack once you are able to force yourself to put them in your mouth.

Old 10-19-2011, 12:56 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,682,095 times
Maybe the next SHTF gourmet...

Old 10-19-2011, 01:05 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,859,038 times
Cockroaches are a fact of life, especially in apartments. Just because you're clean, doesn't mean all the neighbors are. Here, the apartment complexes have pest control services that come every week or two weeks. You just go into the office and get your apartment on the list for the next service date. Not a big deal...and then the roaches go live in the less clean apartments in the building, the ones that are not calling for pest control.

It's always a good idea to keep food like flour, rice, sugar, etc...in airtight plastic containers rather than in the bags they come in. Cornmeal should be frozen overnight when you bring it home and then stored in an airtight container and discarded after several months. I never had trouble with cockroaches in the kitchen though, it was usually in the bathrooms.

Old 10-19-2011, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I never had trouble with cockroaches in the kitchen though, it was usually in the bathrooms.
They hid behind my stove. When I turned it on at night they crawled up the walls. That's when I shot them on their backs with RAID. It was the only thing that stopped them--a direct hit.

One time I was a the beach in REhobeth, Delaware with my then fiancee(currently my wife of 38 years). They were fumigating one of the big apartment complexes on the boardwalk and the little buggers were running in a line about 3 inches wide for the beach. My wife didn't seen them and stepped on to their "line". That's when about 5 of them ran up her legs and into her sun dress. She started screaming and dancing and hitting herself, and nobody knew with the problem was. I'm sure that if it hadn't been the boardwalk on a crowded night, the dress would have come right off. We did our best to calm her down and get the little buggers off her. After 40 years its a funny story, but surely not then and not for some years after that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House