Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 03:26 PM

13 posts, read 378,584 times

Advertisements

I need to have a furnace replaced ASAP. I found out yesterday that my furnace is broken and is blowing carbon monoxide into the house. Luckily we caught it early in the season and so far no one has gotten sick, but we do need a new furnace asap since it is getting cold here in NJ. I received 3 quotes today for installing 3 different brands for furnace and a/c (figured we'd get a/c replaced as well since it is as old as the furnace). Can anyone tell me which companies they would recommend? Its between Trane, Lennox and Ruud. The price difference is $500 to $1000 between the 3. With 2 little kids in the house I want to make sure I pick the most reliable brand.

Thanks so much!

Last edited by gmann425; 10-19-2011 at 03:33 PM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2011, 03:42 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmann425 View Post
Trane vs. Lennox vs. Rudd - Which HVAC system should I choose?
The short answer is to choose the equipment brand that the HVAC contractor you trust the most recommends.

Like car brands... though there are indeed differences between marques those differences (including price!) aren't substantial and most importantly aren't usually apparent or of great consequence to those who don't ordinarily get their hands dirty

If you lived in the hinterlands...
I'd add to choose the brand which has the biggest/best stocking distributor closest to you.
That doesn't apply to Marlboro NJ.

hth

ps when I do my own system next spring I'll be installing Rheem
And I drive a Chevy.
---

pps:
I glossed over the underlying troubleshooting or complaint or age of equipment aspects
behind the recommendation that you *need* to replace the HVAC equipment.

If whatever may be going on hasn't been objectively verified...
**by someone you already have reason to trust**
then that just became job #1 for you to do.

Last edited by MrRational; 10-19-2011 at 04:21 PM.. Reason: troubleshooting

Old 10-19-2011, 03:43 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,339,930 times
First I can almost guarantee that this was "discovered" by an unscrupulous 'furnance guy" that showed you his "tester" reading off the scale / alerting like the end of the world. You are being hoodwinked. CO sensors will read "positive" when they should not by LOTS of well known tampering methods.

Call the UTILITY COMPANY OR FIRE DEPARTMENT IMMEADIATELY. If they verify that your furnance is in fact faulty they will TURN OFF YOUR GAS and then you will know that you are not being hoodwinked.

Second get an energy audit to properly size your furnace. Take that data and look up the reliability and value info from Consummer's Union magazine Consumer Reports NOT anything with "guide" in the title.

Who gave you these quotes? Are they for units of the same size and efficiency ratings? You cannot compare apple to apricots. You ought to compare Seller A selling unit X to Seller B selling the SAME unit. The unit you select should be with the appropriate reliability from Consumer Reports, size and efficiency.

Old 10-19-2011, 03:49 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,602,005 times
I would also be skeptical about a carbon monoxide issue unless there is a physical crack in the heat exchanger. Most often it is just a matter of adjusting the flue air intake.

You can get a carbon monoxide detector very cheaply and put it in a room close to the heater to see if it detects an issue. I would also get the utility company/fire dept to do a free check to see if they find the problem too.

IF you find corroboration that you do have a problem and must replace the system, any of the companies you list have great reputation and reliability. It will come down to price and service from the company doing the installation and servicing. Make them compete against each other to win your business. Compare features and decide what is of most value to you and see if you can get the company to throw in some freebies (filters, service checkups, caps, what have you )

In 2000 I built a new home and Trane was giving away free 10 yr extended warranties, so that is what I got. Never had to use the warranty, still on the same freon charge from day one.

Old 10-19-2011, 04:26 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,909,338 times
I've got pretty extensive experience with Trane and Ruud, but not Lennox. Trane is expensive here but it's no more reliable than the cheaper Ruud. I have the Ruud in my house and it's going on 5 years old now. My utility bills for heat and cool dropped dramatically over a 15 year old Trane...and you would expect that because of the technologies differences over the years. I would say like what was posted above, find an HVAC company that you trust that has been in business for over 10 years and go with the brand they recommend. The warranty from the installer and the equipment makers is everything in a unit but the most important is the installer. Even great equipment will run like crap with a lousy install.
FWIW, if money is tight, ask about replacing the heat exchanger on your current unit. If it's less than 15 years old, I'd spend the money on the exchanger and not a new unit. Most apparently it's the heat exchanger that has rusted out and I would assume this is what they told you.

Old 10-19-2011, 08:26 PM

Thanks for all your input!

There is a physical crack in the heat exchanger and all 3 people that I spoke with said that I cannot turn on the furnace for any reason if I want to wake up in the morning. The first guy that came for a routine inspection and found the cracks posted a note on the machine that we are not allowed to turn it on by law. The furnace is 17 years old.

All three companies seem very reliable and two have been in business over 20 years so I think they would all do a good job. I think I'll take the Trane off the list since it was the priciest and per TrapperL its no more reliable than the Ruud.

The Lennox and Ruud models are both 5 tons, high efficiency (95%) two stage, variable speed motor. The a/cs are both high efficiency too. The Ruud package is about $1000 more than the Lennox. Also, the Ruud was quoted with less money back in rebates & tax credits.

Right now I'm leaning towards the Lennox since it's less and I can't tell what the difference really is between the 2. But, MrRational is installing a Ruud and how can you argue with a name like that?

I'm going to call the Ruud installer tomorrow to ask why he is charging more. If it makes sense, I'l pay the extra to make sure I do what is safest and most cost effective in the long run. I have a laundry list of things that need to be renovated in the house so I want to use that money wisely.

Old 10-19-2011, 10:24 PM

Quote:
The Ruud package is about $1000 more than the Lennox.
Also, the Ruud was quoted with less money back in rebates & tax credits.
Right now I'm leaning towards the Lennox since it's less.
I'm surprised that the Lennox is less than the Ruud;
especially by that much. Check the details of what is included.
Also be sure that ALL the other things are from the same maker...
some contractors will mix & match or not specify a maker. Be sure.

Quote:
But, MrRational is installing a Ruud
I'm installing a Rheem actually (close; related companies)

Some more reading
It really does come down to the contractor and their work.

Old 10-20-2011, 08:12 AM

Looking at both proposals, they each list both systems from the same company (Lennox contractor has Lennox furnace & a/c and Ruud contractor has Ruud furnace & a/c). I left a message with my town's inspector for some advice since he knows these houses and I think would be impartial. I just read on a Consumer Reports site about the prices of the major brands and while the Ruud wasn't on there, the Rheem was. I closed the window, but I think it was a difference of about $200 between the Lennox and Rheem, which leads me to believe that the Ruud contractor is charging much more for the work.

Old 10-20-2011, 08:30 AM

Quote:
...which leads me to believe that the Ruud contractor is charging much more for the work.
or is giving more.
or the other guy is giving less somehow.
as said... be sure the little stuff there is equal too
(eg: new refr lines?, add'l insulation?, sheetmetal work? filter rack?) etc)

fyi an off the cuff price range for this project...
I'll put that at no less than $5800 up to about $7000; maybe $7500 in NJ.
close?

Old 10-20-2011, 12:37 PM

5,119 posts, read 16,593,094 times
Replaced my 31 year old original gas furnace in June of last year and added central a/c. Got a Lennox 95% Dual Stage, variable speed furnace model G71MPP36B-070 and 15SEER A/C model XC15-024. I also bought a humidifier and a Honeywell VisionPRO IAQ 7-Day Programmable Comfort System thermostat model TH9421. I'm quite pleased with it overall. The A/C is too cold in the basement even with all the vents closed....but I'm told that's normal for basements. Specifically bought a 12 year parts & labor warranty on the furnace & a/c to ensure no major repair expenses. I bought this particular a/c unit because it was the quietest (63db) unit at the time from any of the manufacturers I was considering to purchase. And in case you weren't aware, the more efficient the a/c unit it, the larger it is. I was surprised to see how large my outside unit was.

My only complaint with the furnace is the energy efficiency angle seems to be a misnomer. My electric bills didn't decrease during the winter months as I was expecting them to with this new furnace. I think the efficiency is referring to how efficient the gas is burning and NOT the power savings like I had anticipated. This furnace is a lot quieter than my old one. I also found a place online to buy the filters for much cheaper than my dealer sold them.

I would suggest you find out the process for repairs/emergency service calls. I'd pick the one that has the best follow up service options. What good is a furnace that you got a great deal on when it's 20 degrees outside, your furnace doesn't work properly and you can't get anyone out to repair it? I bought mine from a company that had been around for several decades and had a crew of repairmen to service equipment in my area.

Further, I got a great deal by buying mine through Costco. It increased my manufacturures rebate, plus I got Costco's 2% rewards cash back. There were other rebates & tax credits available when I bought my system. My total savings was over $3,600. I researched like crazy to get the best deal.

Good luck to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House