Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2011, 03:13 PM

17,404 posts, read 65,568,867 times

Advertisements

If things keep going as they are, it could be the truth-
Debate on housing restart raises questions over 30-year fixed-rate mortgages « HousingWire
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2011, 04:17 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,819,078 times
The 15 year fixed started to become popular with payments higher but not extremely higher. Maybe the market would stay more open to lower income people with a 30 year fixed. I think if a person has the down payment and a real education on how mortgages work, a wiser choice would be the 15 year fixed.

Old 10-22-2011, 04:26 PM

7,214 posts, read 9,354,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneSA View Post
The 15 year fixed started to become popular with payments higher but not extremely higher. Maybe the market would stay more open to lower income people with a 30 year fixed. I think if a person has the down payment and a real education on how mortgages work, a wiser choice would be the 15 year fixed.
This is true. I remember an article on Dave Ramsey's website illustrating how taking a 30 year instead of a 15 year mortgage can literally cost someone a million dollars or more (whereas they could have invested the money saved in a retirement account).

Old 10-22-2011, 07:17 PM

61,132 posts, read 85,956,304 times
I would rather have 30 years fixed and pay double payments when I could afford it than have 15 years fixed, with higher payments and worry about what will happen if... ( I get sick, or lost job etc.)
I purchased a house in 2001, got 30 year fixed rate mortgage, made double payments - not all the time, but most of them, and my house will be paid off next year. ( I made one regular payment incl. escrow + one exact same payment for principal only).
My idea was to get the longest mortgage with the lowest payments just to be on a safe site, and then pay more at my own discretion.

Old 10-22-2011, 10:02 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,522,100 times
I read in trade journals that the end of 30 year mortgages was near. I saw it coming and I use this fact as further proof that housing industry and the already devastated construction trades will not come back in our life time. While Realtors and your govt continue to tell the Sheep how wonderful things are and how things will turn around, I say no. I ask why do you think housing prices will come back? Because they always have after other economic downturns? What kind of answer is that? Because something has happened before is no proof it will happen again.

Other downturns have recovered sure. But we are in a much deeper DEPRESSION then the one in 1928. When other downturns have recovered we did not have nearly $4/gal gas, $100/m cell phone bills. $140/m cable TV bills, wages as low as they are now...........etc. People can't buy homes if they have no jobs. 8 million American families have lost their homes to foreclosure in the past 3 years. These people will never again be a homeowner as their credit is totaled. These people will be lifelong renters.

VA and FHA has tightened qualifications criteria, banks require credit so squeaky clean that few can qualify. Most mortgages require 25% down now. Who can save that kind of money on less then $25,000 per year income which 56% of Americans earn according to US labor statistics.

I hope I'm wrong but so far every single prediction I made over the past 3 years have been deadly accurate. My posts on this forum are carved in stone and dated with all my predictions. Anyone buying a home now is stark starring nuts.

Old 10-23-2011, 02:18 PM

7,214 posts, read 9,354,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
I read in trade journals that the end of 30 year mortgages was near. I saw it coming and I use this fact as further proof that housing industry and the already devastated construction trades will not come back in our life time. While Realtors and your govt continue to tell the Sheep how wonderful things are and how things will turn around, I say .. no. I ask why do you think housing prices will come back? Because they always have after other economic downturns? What kind of answer is that? Because something has happened before is no proof it will happen again.

Other downturns have recovered sure. But we are in a much deeper DEPRESSION then the one in 1928. When other downturns have recovered we did not have nearly $4/gal gas, $100/m cell phone bills. $140/m cable TV bills, wages as low as they are now...........etc. People can't buy homes if they have no jobs. 8 million American families have lost their homes to foreclosure in the past 3 years. These people will never again be a homeowner as their credit is totaled. These people will be lifelong renters.

VA and FHA has tightened qualifications criteria, banks require credit so squeaky clean that few can qualify. Most mortgages require 25% down now. Who can save that kind of money on less then $25,000 per year income which 56% of Americans earn according to US labor statistics.

I hope I'm wrong but so far every single prediction I made over the past 3 years have been deadly accurate. My posts on this forum are carved in stone and dated with all my predictions. Anyone buying a home now is stark starring nuts.
Whenever someone has to call others "sheep", I go for the ignore function.

Old 10-23-2011, 02:53 PM

34,091 posts, read 82,482,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I would rather have 30 years fixed and pay double payments when I could afford it than have 15 years fixed, with higher payments and worry about what will happen if...
^^This.

Straight 30 year amortization on the debt...
and simple, straightforward provision for extra principle payments.

Old 10-23-2011, 11:23 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,522,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
Whenever someone has to call others "sheep", I go for the ignore function.
Awesome!! You do just that. But keep your nightly news turned up loud because they speak to Sheep or at least anyone who would listen. If you need help finding the ignore button just ask me and I'll guide you.

Old 10-24-2011, 04:01 PM

61,132 posts, read 85,956,304 times
Two key measures now suggest it's an excellent time to buy a house, either to live in for the long term or for investment income (but not for a quick flip). First, the nation's ratio of house prices to yearly rents is nearly restored to its prebubble average. Second, when mortgage rates are taken into consideration, houses are the most affordable they have been in decades.

Upside: It's Time to Buy That House - WSJ.com

This should be good news for people with excellent credit, that want to buy house, can afford solid down payment and the mortgage payments will not exceed 1/4 of their gross monthly income.

Old 10-27-2011, 03:08 PM

1,768 posts, read 3,399,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I would rather have 30 years fixed and pay double payments when I could afford it than have 15 years fixed, with higher payments and worry about what will happen if... ( I get sick, or lost job etc.)
I purchased a house in 2001, got 30 year fixed rate mortgage, made double payments - not all the time, but most of them, and my house will be paid off next year. ( I made one regular payment incl. escrow + one exact same payment for principal only).
My idea was to get the longest mortgage with the lowest payments just to be on a safe site, and then pay more at my own discretion.
I did something similar during the early stages — the first five years — of my mortgage. I paid the house off in 6 years total tripling and quadrupling principal payments monthly, and applying my entire annual bonus check every spring. I saved over $300,000 in interest payments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House