Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 12:04 PM

63 posts, read 280,607 times

Advertisements

Been researching these as an alternative to CFLs. Apparently this is the way lightbulbs are going to go in the future, but while the technology isn't quite there yet there are already some LED lightbulb products on the market. Has anyone here had experience with these?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2009, 12:28 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,784,973 times
I'm patiently waiting for LED lightbulbs to get better.

Compare the output in lumens to a regular incandescent or CFL. Most of the currently available LED bulbs are just too dim to be acceptable for most people. I think it's crisper, cleaner light than incandescents or flourescents but it just isn't a very forceful beam at this time. Also, the "dimmability" problem hasn't quite been solved. Many if not most dimmer switches require a minimum wattage load (often 40 Watts) to function and a string of LED lights just doesn't pull that much, so that's another thing to consider.

LED will get there, but it isn't very viable at this time.

Old 02-02-2009, 01:11 PM

1,941 posts, read 9,242,367 times
i had some under-counter lighting LED samples. they were just too dim to be useful.

the technology will improve over time. the thing i like most about them vs. CFL's is their ability to be dimmed. CFL's still have a lot of problems in this area. its to the point where some manufacturer's are starting to produce proprietary dimmers; that's not a good solution for joe homeowner.

Old 02-02-2009, 04:11 PM

256 posts, read 889,015 times
We had the LED christmas lights..they were awsome....we had left our lights on all night, and went up there the next day to turn them off and they were still cool..never got hot..

Old 02-02-2009, 04:43 PM

5,641 posts, read 24,960,086 times
Yes, I had a sample LED bulb that was as bright a 60W and fit a standard socket. I had to give it back but it seemed to be a fine bulb replacement for extremely long life and low electricity use (I don't know if it could be dimmed). The issue is cost... it supposedly cost $59.00. I have done no analysis but would guess there is no economic justification until they drop to a fraction of that.

BTW, I just looked at the doc and they also sell fully dimmable models.

The claim is that the long life, low power consumption, and low heat output allows them to pay off in less than 3 years if used 8 hours a day.

I'm not game yet.

Last edited by cdelena; 02-02-2009 at 04:52 PM..

Old 02-02-2009, 04:59 PM

23,602 posts, read 70,436,018 times
The out of the box thinking isn't there yet. As I type, I have shadows cast from the overhead light in my room making the keyboard unevenly lit. Then I look up and see the crown molding. Wouldn't it be nice if the crown molding was a series of LEDs providing a nice even light in the room? How about task lighting? The booklight makers have figured out how to make a little light that works, but what about flooding a workbench with light that isn't hot? Still not developed. The first cars looked like carriages without the horse. Sticking a bunch of LEDs on a stick in an old small Edison socket is similar thinking.

Old 02-04-2009, 02:13 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,263,662 times
I tried some under counter ones and agree - they are just too dim to be useful. But I got a lamp with a flat 6" diameter disk with a bunch of the LED lights and it works very well for my desk. It also was not a ton of money.

In my experience, you can't trust what they say about the LED bulbs. You have to try it out to see how much light they actually put out. They seem to be better for task lighting than room lighting. I think they have to work at using highly reflective surfaces to maximize the light that is put out. IF they don't do this, then there just isn't enough light. I've wanted to try some more but $50-60 per bulb is just too high to see if they will work.

Old 02-04-2009, 02:38 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,863,158 times
As an Electrician I will wait for a while longer before recommending them to my customers yet. Good idea, just the implementation isn't up to the promises yet.

Old 10-16-2011, 09:35 PM

4 posts, read 4,951 times
This is key when riding on streets with busy intersections because cars taking a right at a stop light will not see you from the side with a standard back facing LED tail light setup. Of course the way around this if you already own one of these is to buy a couple of those cheap LED lights you can strap on to your bike to face the sides.

Old 10-18-2011, 12:32 AM

20,293 posts, read 37,194,364 times
Go to Home Depot or Lowes and look at a bunch of LED bulbs on the shelves. We have been using them for several years already, although the first generation ones tend to burn sooner. I have them at several locations around my house, including the stove's hood. But they are expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House