Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 02:27 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverLawGal View Post
Hmmm, can't seem to find this on here.

I need a new dishwasher. I want a high-end one but not creme de la creme. More like mid-range. Not bottom of the barrell. I'll pay no more than $1K. Want to pay more like $600-$800.

Sooo many choices. Two that have caught my eye:

Bosch and Kenmore Elite's have this feature that supposedly protect your floors. Aquaguard and Aquastop. Anyone know anything about this? Anyone had the feature actually work?

I'm looking at Kenmore, Bosch, and Whirlpool. I'm a little wary of Bosch as they are German and I've heard can be very expensive to fix and find parts for.
I'd stick with Bosch or the Kenmore Elite.

I went with the Kenmore and have been very happy with it (about about 15 months ago). Was prepared to go with the Bosch, but got a better deal on the Kenmore and liked that it was one of the quietest ones on the market.

It is absolutely a gem at cleaning things and is so quiet you really don't even know it's on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2011, 09:37 PM

1,702 posts, read 1,918,607 times
I have a higher end bosch that I wish would break. Nice looking, gets things clean, very quiet but it stinks to high hell if its not run daily. Been the route with customer service with no resolution. If I was doing it over I would get a high end Kitchenaide because of the heating element.

Old 11-04-2011, 05:52 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
We have a Bosch and we hate it.

It breakes constantly. The closest repairman for Bosch is 40 miles away and charges a premium to come to our house. Parts often have to be ordered and take a week or more to arrive. Looking online lots of people have tons of problems with Bosch dishwashers. The repairman confirmed this, they are breakdown prone and parts are pricey (more than other brands). The repairman suggested Kitchen Aid. (Maid? I cannot remember the name).

We bought it becuase consumer reports said it was the top dishwasher for that year. Big mistake. I think they rate water usage and noise levels higher than performance.

It does not clean well, barely dries the dishes at all and has broken down 7-8 times in five years. Next time it breaks, we are just going to replace it. We might just replace it even if it does to break. I would prefer a diswasher that works to one that is quiet and uses little water. A lot of the time it uses no water at all. Maybe that is where it got its rating from C.R. It saves lots of water and is very very quiet when it is not working.

Old 11-04-2011, 07:19 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,462,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
We bought it becuase consumer reports said it was the top dishwasher for that year. Big mistake. I think they rate water usage and noise levels higher than performance.
That is exactly how I ended up with a useless front loading washer. No doubt it gets clothes more clean per gallon of water, but that means about 1/10th as clean as they should be. I'm done with Consumer Reports. The Green Weenies have taken control there.

As for the dishwasher, I have a new Fridgedaire which sounds like a heard of dying elk. The living room is 38 feet from the kitchen down a hall and I have to turn it off to enjoy TV. The Bosch seems quieter but I don't repair appliances, I toss them, so it might be a pretty expensive undertaking to have a $1000 dishwasher that needs repairs.

Old 11-04-2011, 10:13 AM

3,530 posts, read 9,717,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrow1 View Post
I have a higher end bosch that I wish would break. Nice looking, gets things clean, very quiet but it stinks to high hell if its not run daily. Been the route with customer service with no resolution. If I was doing it over I would get a high end Kitchenaide because of the heating element.
That's interesting - I've read that about the Bosch's, the smell, not sure what that's all about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
We have a Bosch and we hate it.

It breakes constantly. The closest repairman for Bosch is 40 miles away and charges a premium to come to our house. Parts often have to be ordered and take a week or more to arrive. Looking online lots of people have tons of problems with Bosch dishwashers. The repairman confirmed this, they are breakdown prone and parts are pricey (more than other brands). The repairman suggested Kitchen Aid. (Maid? I cannot remember the name).

It does not clean well, barely dries the dishes at all and has broken down 7-8 times in five years. Next time it breaks, we are just going to replace it. We might just replace it even if it does to break. I would prefer a diswasher that works to one that is quiet and uses little water. A lot of the time it uses no water at all. Maybe that is where it got its rating from C.R. It saves lots of water and is very very quiet when it is not working.
You know, I question CR. The web is rife with opinions (hellooo? City-Data?) and there is really no need to pay for an opinion. I myself like to get a wide variety of opinions and then I make my personal decision. Thanks for your post. I've checked and there are Bosch repair stores nearby, but I was concerned about the cost of parts - and you sort of confirmed that for me. I know not all dishwashers break down, but if it happens to be yours and you can't get parts - that's frustrating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
That is exactly how I ended up with a useless front loading washer. No doubt it gets clothes more clean per gallon of water, but that means about 1/10th as clean as they should be. I'm done with Consumer Reports. The Green Weenies have taken control there.

As for the dishwasher, I have a new Fridgedaire which sounds like a heard of dying elk. The living room is 38 feet from the kitchen down a hall and I have to turn it off to enjoy TV. The Bosch seems quieter but I don't repair appliances, I toss them, so it might be a pretty expensive undertaking to have a $1000 dishwasher that needs repairs.
Your post made me snort! Dying elk - LOL! I actually bought a very low end Fridgedaire - then freaked and returned it before it could be installed. I realized that was a dumb decision and I really need to do some research. So glad I have done so!

Soooo, I know I said "last question", but I am taking that back. Anyone here go to the Sears Outlets? Looks like they have quite a few deals.

Old 11-04-2011, 10:14 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
Odd, I wonder what model you have?

What sorts of problems have you had?

I have had no problems. Funny too that K-A got a recommendation -- like I said back when they were Hobart they were built like tanks but now they are just a "brand sticker" of Whirlpool...

On the CR thing the very clearly rate cleaning effectiveness -- if you read the article the give very detailed "recipes" of what they smear on the plates / utensils, how long they let it "crust up", what settings they use and other details. They ay be green weenies but there is no way that a model they tested is not going to get dishes clean.

I know that a few years back the various building codes were updated so that folks were no longer allow / encouraged to send the DW discharge into the disposern --I think that is because so many DW that rely on condensive drying do end up with a little pool of water in the base. As long as nothing works it way frome the disposer out into the DW drain hose things are fine. As soon as stuff does "backup" OR unscrapped dishes drop a little stuff into that water you get a blooming mess of microbial growth. I think that all the newer dishwashers are subject to that problem...

Last edited by chet everett; 11-04-2011 at 10:27 AM..

Old 11-04-2011, 10:16 AM

Chet: Interesting (and annoying) to read about so many brands being "ghosted". It's like no brand manufacturers their own stuff any longer!

Old 11-04-2011, 10:29 AM

863 posts, read 2,991,862 times
I'm sad to hear that there are so many who have had problems with Bosch. I have to admit I'd heard this to some degree when we made our purchasing decision.

Our Bosch is about 4 years old and I LOVE IT! I have at least 5 close friends and family people who have bought Bosch over the past 10 years and have not heard one complaint. At least 3 of them are on the lower end of the product line. No one has mentioned smell issues.

I love it because:
1. I use a lot of plastic containers (try to avoid zip loc bags) and you can put bowls and lids on the top of the bottom.
2. It holds 14? dinner plates (not that I ever use that many but it's a plus).
3. It's very quiet. This is in part because there is no motor in the food disposer. It's a huge overstatement that this any kind of a problem. (Though salespeople will calll it out as a negative). I probably feel compelled to remove it every 6 months and take a look, but there is never anything in there. Well, maybe once when i washed a PB jar and there was a small amout of label adhesive. It's simply NOT an issue, or at least not big enough to decide against Bosch.

We have local service and parts have a 5 years warranty and I recently got a replacement on the rack as one of the tines rubber coating cracked and was starting to rust.

From what I've read in CU Kitchen Aid is expensive and has a high rate of repairs as well. Most of the other brands that had quietness ratings, had way too many bells and whistles that I'd never use. I figured, more to go wrong.

You do have to keep the dishwasher rinse dispenser filled, as the dishes end up more wet when it runs out. This is mostly for the plastic mostly as it doesn't heat up to assist with evaporation. But for me this is a fairly minor issue.

I side with CU who states that prewashing dishes is not necessary. Aside from making sure there are no large chunks of food or dried on eggs, I don't pre-wash before loading. It's a waste of water and time. My dishes always come out very clean

In my experience, the positives of Bosch outweigh any potential negatives!

Last edited by zoso1979; 11-04-2011 at 10:42 AM..

Old 11-04-2011, 10:49 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverLawGal View Post
T
Soooo, I know I said "last question", but I am taking that back. Anyone here go to the Sears Outlets? Looks like they have quite a few deals.
We buy most of our appliances from Sears Scratch and dent outlets (except now our kitchen appliances are no newer than 1930). we have had great experiences with them and saved thousands of dollars over the years. Many of the items are fine and the same as new. They were just returned and cannot be sold as new. Many have minor dents. I always tried to find something with a huge dent in the side or on top. Those were the most discounted. Everywhere we lived, the sides of appliances were never visible. (The top of a fridge also is not visible). As long as the dent does not hit mechanicals, it is not going to impact the performance of the appliance. We did pass on some of the fridges that had a bad smell inside.

You get the same warranty, better customer service (in our experience) and often extremely discounted items. If an item does not sell, they mark it down after a certain period of time and then mark it down more every week or month some of them get pretty cheap. Of course if you wait too long, someone will buy before you do.

Old 11-04-2011, 12:08 PM

I want to thank everyone for their quick, honest and thorough responses. I really appreciate it.

Now the funny part, DH and I decided we need to do upstairs flooring (carpet and tile) instead of appliances. LOL.

We've also realized, all of our appliances are about to go (not now but soon) and so we will be buying all appliances at once.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House