Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2011, 12:03 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times

Advertisements

Are there any pitfalls I should be aware of?

I wish I could insert a picture of what I have now. People have said it is nice, but I think the raised hearth and huge mantle are much too big for my fireplace. To me, it looks like a big old elephant squatting in the corner of a rather small room. The distance between the mantle and the ceiling is not even enough for a decent sized painting.
The raised hearth (which takes up 1.5' of floor space) and around the opening are black slate tiles, then there is a huge wooden mantle, painted bright white.
So, I'm thinking of ripping down the white mantle, and also ripping out the raised hearth (I'm hoping the hearth is just made from wood and is not cement), and putting glass or stone tiles from floor to ceiling. The fireplace opening is 15" off the floor and there is only an 8' ceiling.
It seems to me like it would be pretty straightforward and something a DIY er can do, but I want to think the whole thing through before I start demo.
Also is there a way to determine the best proportions for the new tile? I have drawn it in several widths and it seems that a fairly narrow (about 9" on either side) looks good. Is there a tried and true formula to figure good dimensions?

Last edited by gentlearts; 11-04-2011 at 12:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2011, 02:01 PM

5,120 posts, read 16,598,343 times
This is what I did to finish off my gas fireplace insert trim. At first I thought I wanted tile but then I changed my mind. I knew I didn't want a mantle (ceilings too low) nor did I want/need a hearth since it was an enclosed insert with not chance of hot embers escaping. Plus my real reason for not wanting a hearth was the encroachment of the uneccessary hearth into my living space.
Attached Thumbnails
Has anyone installed tile around a gas fireplace insert?-fireplace-sept-2009-3.jpg  

Old 11-04-2011, 02:06 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times
As long as you fall within these codes, you're fine-
IRC (international Residential Code)
2114.3 MASONRY FIREPLACES 2114.36 Fireplace hearth extensions shall be of approved noncombustible materials for all fireplaces. Where the fireplace opening is less than 6 sq.ft. (0.56m²), the hearth extension shall extend at least 16 inches (406mm) in front of the facing material and at least 8 inches (203mm) beyond each side of fireplace opening. Where fireplace opening is 6 sq.ft. (0.56m²) or larger, the hearth extension shall extend at least 20 inches (508mm) in front of the facing materials and at least 12 inches (305mm) beyond each side of the fireplace opening. Where a fireplace is elevated above or overhangs a floor, the hearth extension shall also extend over the area under the fireplace. 2114.3.7 Fireplaces constructed of masonry or reinforced concrete shall have hearth extensions of brick, concrete, stone, tile, or other approved noncombustible material properly supported and with no combustible material against the underside thereof. Wooden form or centers used during the construction of a hearth and hearth extensions shall be removed when construction is completed. EXCEPTION: A header of combustible material may be used to support the hearth extension provided that it is located more than 12 inches (305mm) from the face of the fireplace. 2114.3.8 All combustible wood beams, joist, and studs shall be maintained a minimum of 2 inches (51mm) from the outside face of the chimney or fireplace masonry. Headers supporting trimmer arches at fireplaces shall be not less than 20 inches (508mm) from the face of the chimney breast. Trimmers shall be not less than 6 inches (152mm) from the inside face of face of the nearest flue lining. 2114.3.9 Woodwork shall not be placed within 4 inches (102mm) of the back of the fireplace, but shall not prevent plastering directly on the masonry or metal lath and metal furring. 2114.3.10 All combustible mantels and similar trim shall be kept at least 6 inches from fireplace opening. Parts of the mantel assembly located along the sides of the fireplace opening, which project more than 1-1/2 inches (38mm) from the face of the fireplace, shall have additional clearance equal to the projection. Parts of the mantel assembly located above and projecting more than 1-1/2 inches (38mm) from the fireplace opening shall not be placed less than 12 inches (305mm) from the top of the fireplace opening. - 2806 FIREPLACES FACTORY BUILT 2086.1 Factory- Built Fireplace 2806.1.1 Factory built fireplaces shall be listed and shall be installed in accordance with the conditions of the listing. 2806.1.2 Factory built fireplaces shall be tested in accordance with and meet the requirements of UL 127 2806.1.3 Hearth extensions of approved factory-built fireplace stoves shall be installed in accordance with the listing. Masonry hearth extensions if used with factory-built fireplaces shall be installed as required in 2144.3.8. The hearth extension shall be readily distinguished from the surrounding area. 2806.1.4 Factory built fireplace shall be installed in accordance with 2114.3.12 2806.2 Factory-Built Fireplace Stoves and Solid Fuel Room Heaters 2806.2.1 Factory built fireplace stoves and solid fuel type room heaters shall be listed and shall be installed in accordance with the conditions of the listing. The factory-built fireplace stoves shall be tested in accordance with and meet requirements of UL737. The solid fuel type room heaters shall be tested in accordance with and meet requirements of UL1482. 2862.2.2 Factory-built fireplace stoves shall also be installed in accordance with 2806.12 and 2114.3.12 - 2806 FIREPLACES FACTORY BUILT False fireplaces may be used in connection with listed gas or electric heaters, provided such fireplaces are constructed of noncombustible materials.

Old 11-05-2011, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggalegga View Post
This is what I did to finish off my gas fireplace insert trim. At first I thought I wanted tile but then I changed my mind. I knew I didn't want a mantle (ceilings too low) nor did I want/need a hearth since it was an enclosed insert with not chance of hot embers escaping. Plus my real reason for not wanting a hearth was the encroachment of the uneccessary hearth into my living space.
That is exactly what mine is like. So you just have drywall and some trim around the edges. That would be even easier than what I was thinking. Looks nice.

Old 11-05-2011, 04:46 AM

k'ledgebldr- I have similar to what eggalega has in the picture, but I do not have a glass screen, just a mesh one, and there would be no need for a hearth, except for aesthetics, since there is not a significant amount of heat thrown out of it.

Old 11-07-2011, 10:42 AM

5,120 posts, read 16,598,343 times
Thanks. I love being in that room now. Far cry from what it used to look like.

I thought you posted you have a fireplace insert?
Quote:
An insert is basically a fireproof box that's surrounded by steel or cast iron and fronted by insulated glass, creating a closed combustion system. The steel or cast iron helps to trap the heat. Some inserts have a blower that pushes the hot air back into the room through front vents.
It sounds like you have a gas log fireplace, not an insert. Maybe there is some type of hearth required to keep someone from accidentally falling into the burning flame. I'm just guessing. Growing up, we had a gas log fireplace--exposed on two sides in our living room. It was surrounded on both sides by a brick hearth. It too just had a screen.

Old 11-07-2011, 10:58 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
(I have a) screen, just a mesh one, and there would be no need for a hearth...

Not according to the IRC code(s) I posted previously.

Old 09-11-2013, 12:04 PM

1 posts, read 11,126 times
I have a wood stove set into a brick fireplace, I want to put in a gas fireplace as it is alot of work for me as I am now a widow and the wood sometimes is not as seasoned as they tell you it is and fear of creasoe fire. I have gas heat the stove is on same wall as gas furnace maybe 10 feet away. Is this a difficult instalation, I need to learn laws permit ect.. who do I hire to do this a plummer? this is in Mass?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House