Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 07:29 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,703,411 times

Advertisements

After wearing out our old Hoover (believe me, ours gets used), I went out and bought another one. My daughter had recently moved into a new place, when ours was dead and I paid for her to rent "the rug doctor". It was AWFUL! The rental had been not only been occupied with dogs, but the previous tenants AND the landlords (it turns out) didn't bother with shampooing. The carpet was not only filthy, but it probably had 10 containers of carpet fresh in it. The landlords believed that spray on/vacuum up carpet cleaners did a "good enough" job. We are NOT of the same mind.

Right after she shampooed her carpets with the rented machine, she called me in a panic....the carpets were still soaked! They were so wet that they squished! She'd gone over them with just the suction, several times, and they wouldn't dry. I decided that it was the right time to get the new steamcleaner. LOL When I brought it to her house, she actually FILLED the recovery tank 1-1/2 times, with the water that was remaining from the rental machine!! She used my Hoover and then made the decision, on her next payday, to get her own machine.

Hoover Steamvac Silver Carpet Cleaner F5915900
Hoover Steamvac Silver Carpet Cleaner, F5915900 - Walmart.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2011, 11:08 AM

1,263 posts, read 4,940,362 times
I have the Hoover F5914-900, I paid around $200.00 for it. Read online reviews, they are helpful...I looked at the Hoover Platinum Carpet Cleaner, but for the price and the many negative reviews...I passed on the $400.00 carpet cleaner...

Check out Hoover.com and then cross check pricing with local places {Walmart, Target, Home Depot, Lowes, etc.}, even EBay...

http://hoover.com/products/category/carpet-cleaners/

Old 11-08-2011, 12:11 PM

37,029 posts, read 41,087,048 times
If you choose the Hoover, make sure you get one with the upholstery attachment.

Old 11-08-2011, 09:14 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,819,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
The part that broke on the Bissell was the knob that switched from floor cleaning to the upholstery tool.
Hmmm ... When I stick the upholstery tool in the hole where it should go, it automatically sucks from there, and then you just pull the trigger and everything works as it should.
So far so good.
I noticed that your Hoover is a lot cheaper then what I paid for my Bissel !!!
Thanks for the info.

BTW, this is the one we got. Bissel 86T3 Big Green Machine.
Big Green Deep Cleaning Machine® | Bissell
Bought it from HSN or whatever that station is that sells stuff on TV.
Got a 100 dollar discount that time. So took advantage of it.

Old 11-08-2011, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
Hmmm ... When I stick the upholstery tool in the hole where it should go, it automatically sucks from there, and then you just pull the trigger and everything works as it should.
So far so good.
I noticed that your Hoover is a lot cheaper then what I paid for my Bissel !!!
Thanks for the info.

BTW, this is the one we got. Bissel 86T3 Big Green Machine.
Big Green Deep Cleaning Machine® | Bissell
Bought it from HSN or whatever that station is that sells stuff on TV.
Got a 100 dollar discount that time. So took advantage of it.
Wow, that's a really big Big Green Machine! I did not know you could rent a Bissell. I've never seen them anywhere. Perhaps yours will be sturdier than mine was, since it appears to be designed for commercial use.

Mine was smaller and less expensive. I can't find a picture of it now, so it must be discontinued.

Old 11-09-2011, 12:02 AM

5,697 posts, read 19,108,689 times
I have been eyeing the Bissell at Sam's club. The reviews seem decent but not sure. I like the stair attachments. I have never purchased a carpet cleaner. Any thoughts?

BISSELL ProHeat 2X® Complete Pet Upright Deep Cleaner - Sam's Club

Or is Hoover the best?

Pros in my area are way too expensive.

Old 11-09-2011, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
I have been eyeing the Bissell at Sam's club. The reviews seem decent but not sure. I like the stair attachments. I have never purchased a carpet cleaner. Any thoughts?

Or is Hoover the best?

My mother had a Bissell. I used it to shampoo her carpets. Not only did I have to go over it several times, but it left the carpet wet, even after "drying it several times". Many of the review sites have previous Bissell owners who switched to Hoover, mainly for that reason.

Old 11-09-2011, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post

Or is Hoover the best?

The Bissell I had was a ProHeat. I do not remember the exact model. The knob that is used to switch from floor to upholstery broke. When I took it in to be repaired, there was also a seal that had failed. It was not worth the expense to fix it.

I do think the Hoover I have now dries the floor better. You can use the upholstery tool to do stairs. To me, the "Pet" designation is just a marketing ploy. A good cleaner will get up pet messes even if it is not "for pets." And you do want to thoroughly vacuum before you use the wet cleaner. Do not try to use the wet cleaner just to pick up hair.

Having had both brands, I vote for the Hoover. I have not had my Hoover long enough to know about repairs. I got mine (reconditioned) from an Amazon partner for half price. Paid about $70. It has a one year warranty, so I have plenty of time for any glitches to show up.

Old 11-09-2011, 08:56 AM

Quote:
The Bissell I had was a ProHeat. I do not remember the exact model. The knob that is used to switch from floor to upholstery broke. When I took it in to be repaired, there was also a seal that had failed. It was not worth the expense to fix it.

I do think the Hoover I have now dries the floor better. You can use the upholstery tool to do stairs. To me, the "Pet" designation is just a marketing ploy. A good cleaner will get up pet messes even if it is not "for pets." And you do want to thoroughly vacuum before you use the wet cleaner. Do not try to use the wet cleaner just to pick up hair.

Having had both brands, I vote for the Hoover. I have not had my Hoover long enough to know about repairs. I got mine (reconditioned) from an Amazon partner for half price. Paid about $70. It has a one year warranty, so I have plenty of time for any glitches to show up.

Like Suzy says, thoroughly vacuum the floors before you shampoo. Get along those edges, really well. Something I've noticed too, about many people's vacuums, is that they do NOT clean their filters often enough! You can't believe all of the fine, fine "dust/dander" in your home, especially if you have pets or woodstoves. Those filters can get clogged pretty well, after even one good vacuum job.

Hair in the shampooer's brushes decreases the cleaning power of them and hairballs CAN clog the intake parts of your shampooer. What's better than digging wet hairballs out of intake chutes?

After shampooing, I also lay down old towels along the main pathways through the house. Any muddy water that may be lingering down below the fibers, will be pulled up to the surface with the weight of bodies. It's better to pull that dirty water up into the towel, than into the carpet fibers. Also, if someone walks through the house with their shoes on, the damp carpet will nicely clean the soles of their shoes....all over your nice clean carpet!

Old 11-09-2011, 09:10 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,819,447 times
Quote:
Wow, that's a really big Big Green Machine! I did not know you could rent a Bissell. I've never seen them anywhere. Perhaps yours will be sturdier than mine was, since it appears to be designed for commercial use.Mine was smaller and less expensive.
I assume you'd figure out by now, why I made the kids pay their share until it was paid off ...

Uhuh, it is big, and that is why I mentioned that you can clean a fairly large room,
without having to *reload*, the *clean* tank.

It definitively is a *big* one, and no room *in the house* to store it ...
I have never seen one for rent either (the only ones I have seen, is the red *rug doctor* ones),
but with the prospect of the kids also using it, we went for *the big one*.
I especially like the 5 year warranty !

Back to good or no good ones.
I think, the whole thing is that you should not wait for *years* to have your carpets cleaned.
Frequent use is better than once in a blue moon.
So even smaller ones, like the Hoover mentioned, should be good to use.

Because we do it so often, we have *developed* a system where we easily *move* furniture.
First we *tip* most furniture, and make a pass or two where we tip it.
We use the furniture attachment to get *underneath* the front of the couches.
Most *armoires* (we have two of them) have *legs*, and we use those plastic spacers with teeth underneath, under the legs.
Again, with the furniture attachment we can get *underneath* the *armoires*.
The plastic spacers, keep the legs from getting wet.
The most *dirty* areas are often right in front of couches, etc.
Then just the rest of the floors. Works for us.
The *hardest* areas to do are the stair cases, and we have three of them in the house.
Not really *hard* ,but a lot of work ...

Last edited by irman; 11-09-2011 at 09:19 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House