Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 07:21 PM

3,382 posts, read 8,647,124 times

Advertisements

Hello all. In the process of buying a new house. Either way the house has the typical cheap gold hardware on doors. Do you guys know of any cheap places to get new hinges/handles, etc...

Looking for places beyond lowes/home depot..

Sent from my autocorrect butchering device.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2011, 08:08 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,395,056 times
I bought specialty key-less hardware from Amazon.com. This was back when it was impossible to find push-button systems in stores. But I do love Lowes and Home Depot. The employees are so wonderful and have helped w/ a lot of projects. I learned not to install door hardware myself, so I suggest using a locksmith. If you do, you can order hardware through them.

Old 11-09-2011, 08:19 PM

61,661 posts, read 87,041,175 times
Right now you have cheap gold hardware on doors, and you want to replace it with another cheap hinges/handles??
Hmmm... any particular color or style?? Entry door or interior doors?

Old 11-09-2011, 08:29 PM

18,466 posts, read 31,624,300 times
But will the hinges fit exactly on the doors now??. Somehow I think changing gold hinges to say, my favorite, brushed oiled bronze....you buy them at the big orange, now you just know the hinges are just not going to fit exactly to the door you have already, thus I see a headache coming on....................

Old 11-09-2011, 09:54 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,139,351 times
My home was built in the 90's and had brass galore. I replaced the door knobs and hinges with rubbed bronze. It turned out really nice and makes the house feel newer. My door knobs were really scuffed up from wear and tear but I also hate brass. Depending on the age of your home or doors, I had zero issues getting the hinges to line up because they are standard. It was a pretty easy job. I just swapped out the brass for the bronze. I took one hinge off at a time and put the new on so I didnt have to take the door off. My doors have 3 hinges so I kept the middle hinge for last as it stabilized the door while I swapped out the top and bottom first.

I looked on ebay and found many people selling hinges and door knobs in lots. I didnt really care for the door knobs so I bought mine at Home Depot. I paid 9.97 a door for hall and 10.97 for bed/bath knobs. The knobs I got are not top of line by any means. They are kwikset and of equal quality and value as the brass ones that were already here. I spent more money on the entry doors instead. I bought most of the hinges off ebay. It worked out to be half the cost vs Home Depot or Lowes. I did make a miscalculation and needed to buy a few more and just ran up to Home Depot. The hinges I got off ebay are the same brand that is sold at the store. What I discovered was Home Depot have some that are loose in the bins and then you buy the packet of screws. At first it appears cheaper than buying a 3 pack in plastic but I calculated it and it worked out cheaper by a 1.50 to just buy the pack (screws included).

Changing out door hardware really makes a lovely impact on the home however it added up faster than I expected. I have a lot of doors in my home and I spent approximately 300 dollars but I am very happy with how it looks. The only issue I had was when I took the old door knobs off, a black ring mark was left and the new door knob didnt cover it completely. So I used a magic eraser and it took the black ring off. You can't tell I replaced anything.

Attachment 87126

Last edited by fallingwater; 03-18-2013 at 01:10 AM..

Old 11-10-2011, 05:55 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,937,102 times
buy new locks? absolutely!
start on purely cosmetic projects so soon? maybe not.

This time of year is when the heavier outside work needs doing.
Tree pruning, bed turning, fertilizing in general... and lawn overseeding

Old 11-10-2011, 01:49 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,676,227 times
The big box home stores have hinges and locksets that are very low quality And they have hinges and locks that are of high quality. You buy cheap quality stuff, you get checp quality stuff. You buy high quality stuff, you get high quality stuff. Notice I did not say cheap price or high price, just quality.

To make sure the hinges fit, you can do a very simple thing like remove one and see if they are the common one on all doors and take that intot he store for a exact match. You can trace an good outline to include the thickness and bring that in for a near match. With all hinges, how they were installed can make a differenbce as well so you may have to correct a prior installation error (or too many coats of paint) with a small chisel and razor blade.

Theonly thing i caution you on is many of these big box receive their goods in bulk packaging and some locksets may be one line production which means all the locks & keys on the shelf are the same. This uisally isn't a problem because so many are sold across a wide range of shoppers from near and far. It could work in your favor especially if you have several exterior doors and you want the keyed alike, the employee will help you pick the same key number from those on the shelf. If they don;t have enough, they just pull down another carton and odds are they all are the same key in that carton.

Old 11-10-2011, 01:56 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,139,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
The big box home stores have hinges and locksets that are very low quality And they have hinges and locks that are of high quality. You buy cheap quality stuff, you get checp quality stuff. You buy high quality stuff, you get high quality stuff. Notice I did not say cheap price or high price, just quality.

To make sure the hinges fit, you can do a very simple thing like remove one and see if they are the common one on all doors and take that intot he store for a exact match. You can trace an good outline to include the thickness and bring that in for a near match. With all hinges, how they were installed can make a differenbce as well so you may have to correct a prior installation error (or too many coats of paint) with a small chisel and razor blade.

Theonly thing i caution you on is many of these big box receive their goods in bulk packaging and some locksets may be one line production which means all the locks & keys on the shelf are the same. This uisally isn't a problem because so many are sold across a wide range of shoppers from near and far. It could work in your favor especially if you have several exterior doors and you want the keyed alike, the employee will help you pick the same key number from those on the shelf. If they don;t have enough, they just pull down another carton and odds are they all are the same key in that carton.
They will also rekey a new lockset for you as well. I had Home Depot do this for me and it was free.

Old 11-10-2011, 02:43 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,676,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
They will also rekey a new lockset for you as well. I had Home Depot do this for me and it was free.
Thats an option, but if you get Mike with 10 years of locksmith experience, I wouldn;t worry, but often you get Bobby with all of 1 hr of training who just came over from paint.

Old 11-10-2011, 02:57 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,937,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
Thats an option, but if you get Mike with 10 years of locksmith experience, I wouldn;t worry, but often you get Bobby with all of 1 hr of training who just came over from paint.
who isn't so good with paint either
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House