Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 02:56 PM

777 posts, read 1,872,146 times

Advertisements

A decorative, arch/circle-top stationery window (with grills between the panes) in my home needs to be replaced because the seal has failed and water drip lines and condensation are clearly visible through the glass panes. The window is on the second story of a two-story foyer; sill is approximately 14 feet from the floor. I'm clueless, but figure it has to be replaced from the inside because the exterior is banded by a thick swath of decorative wood molding. The window is 36" wide, probably 54" or so high.

How is the window replacement physically performed? Do the installers use scaffolding, ladders, something else? I can't wrap my head around the process by which the window is replaced.

Never mind that I haven't begun what will be the arduous task of finding a reputable, affordable window replacement company and the appropriate window itself.

Last edited by Iggier; 11-08-2011 at 03:01 PM.. Reason: To correct title
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2011, 04:33 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,354,654 times
Most larger fixed residential windows are not available w/o the installation flanges on the outside -- those flanges are what physically secure the window to the home. If you have siding most installers will need to remove some of it. It your home is brick the installation of a full replacement window may need even more work.

I would try to contact the manufacturer of the existing window. Many manufacturers will send a rep out to determine if a current "sealed unit" can replace the failed unit in your window assembly. Typicall the "sealed unit" is the glass, main visible frame and internal spaces that can be secured into the existing structural unit.

Most glass shops are also capable of determining if the sealed unit is field replaceable -- think of not just as failed weather seal type situation, but if lil' Bobby's baseball shattered the thing. You want not get a "replacement window" for that, you'd have the busted glass replaced...

I would NOT contact any of the firms that try to con people into spending spending big bucks for cheap vinyl windows that are a rip off. You will likely get a product VASTLY inferior to what your homes was built with.

Any good glass shop will have portable planks and such to attach to ladder to safely hoist and install / repair any windows.

Old 11-08-2011, 06:57 PM

Thanks for the info Chet. I am all for reglazing if that is a possibility. The window in question is on the front of the home - a 16 or so year old townhome which is brick-faced. I'd say it's impossible to determine the original window manufacturer, and it would have been builder grade junk anyway. I can see how a full replacement window would be nearly impossible in my situation, but there are some terrific glass shops here so I'll start making some calls.

Old 11-09-2011, 08:31 AM

17,474 posts, read 66,027,504 times
Is the window a wood jamb/frame or aluminum?
This will make a big difference in which way to go.

Old 11-09-2011, 11:10 AM

3,315 posts, read 10,089,713 times
I agree with using a reputable glass shop. They're used to this kind of work. Be sure to let them know where the window is (i.e., 2d floor, etc.) so they can give you a proper estimate. Good luck!

Old 11-09-2011, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Is the window a wood jamb/frame or aluminum?
This will make a big difference in which way to go.
It's wood - with lots of surrounding decorative molding both inside and out. As soon as I can I'll post an exterior and interior pic.

Old 11-09-2011, 11:45 AM

17,474 posts, read 66,027,504 times
What you "probably" have is a sash set. The jamb is mounted within the wall and the sash is mounted to the jamb.
The sash frame would be the wood that is in direct contact with the glass- as you go to toward the jamb there will be a small ogee type trim. This is what holds the sash in place; it's called, 'window stop' or just 'stop'. Removing this stop and cutting the caulk at the sash and jamb on the exterior will allow removal of the sash. Depending on the size it usually takes two people to install/remove the sash. one on each side of the sash on an extension ladder.
The other, more less probable is a "direct set" sash. This is when the glass is directly set into the jamb. It can still be removed and replaced but, by the time you've gone through the motions you could have bought a new sash set and installed it for almost the same money.

Old 11-09-2011, 04:00 PM

Posted some pics...the interior was dark, sorry! Hopefully this will help the gurus help me. You have to futz around with Google Picasa to see the images sufficiently large. Much thanks.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1157920...eat=directlink

Old 11-09-2011, 08:23 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,397,001 times
HOnestly, having tried historically-accurate glazing on older windows, I don't recommend it. I do recommend contacting any local Marvin window center. I used Marvin windows on my historic home, and they can make a custom window to fit pretty much anything.

They're used to replacing period windows, and you don't have to worry about the "how." Putting in windows is complicated, which is why there are professionals. You can get a better window (better insulation, more durable etc) that looks exactly like your old window minus the layers of paint as I had on mine.

Unless you have the time and money to do a restoration project... I would get a professional to replace the window.

Old 11-09-2011, 08:32 PM

18,469 posts, read 31,627,689 times
ugh, thermal pane windows are such a pain in the neck..

why cant they make the seals to last forever. I have replaced double hung windows twice in 15 years.......ugh.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House