Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 12:52 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,724,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
We just use one fo those stove top cleaners made for ceramic stove top cleaners on glass or Bon ami or bar tenders friends that will not scratch glass. love self cleaning but best to do it before really gets dirty. My wife hates those strong chemcials used otherwise.Use a wet sponge when cleaning with bar tenders or Bon Ami.Also they are recommmended by auotmakers for getting that scum that causes windshield wipers to squeal and skip.PS-use a razor blade scaper fist if the galss has alot of buildup first before cleaner.
Yes, what texdav said...razor blades work wonders on the oven glass!! Barkeeper's Friend?....One of my best friends ever!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2011, 12:57 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,557,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
Yes, what texdav said...razor blades work wonders on the oven glass!! Barkeeper's Friend?....One of my best friends ever!!
Oh my goodness, yes beachmel. You can't find it every where, so I stock up. Usually Home Depot and it comes in liquid now too.

Old 10-01-2011, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
Oh my goodness, yes beachmel. You can't find it every where, so I stock up. Usually Home Depot and it comes in liquid now too.
Hey virgode!! Yes my friend, it can be hard to find at times! I do try to keep at least 2 cans on hand and I did NOT know it came in a liquid form now! I'd like to see it come in a plastic, reclosable shaker container though, rather than the metal/cardboard one.

If BKF is unavailable, I look for Zud, which is the same thing. I believe that Cameo is also making an "oxalic acid" cleanser now as well. Personally, I'm going to go with whatever's cheapest and still oxalic acid. I grew up with Zud, but it only came in a small can. I then found BKF and for the same price, you got twice the amount. I am always amazed at how that stuff cleans, even though I've used it forever.

Old 10-01-2011, 04:09 PM

885 posts, read 1,522,052 times
Why use chemicals when you can harmlessly incinerate all the natural nontoxic food residue into ash?

Old 10-01-2011, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusqueHappy View Post
Why use chemicals when you can harmlessly incinerate all the natural nontoxic food residue into ash?
Why waste electricity and endanger the life of your electrical components when you can use chemicals and elbow grease?

Old 10-01-2011, 04:23 PM

885 posts, read 1,522,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
Why waste electricity and endanger the life of your electrical components when you can use chemicals and elbow grease?
So that I don't get cancer from inhaling petroleum solvents?

Old 10-01-2011, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusqueHappy View Post
So that I don't get cancer from inhaling petroleum solvents?
OH hell, I figure something's going to kill me eventually, might as well be that occasional oven cleaner.

Old 10-01-2011, 04:42 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,050,981 times
Bar Keeper's Friend is amazing. I bought this beautiful antique white linen square tablecloth...it had a few stains and I soaked it in everything you can imagine for days on end - nothing took it out. In desperation I sprinkled some Bar Keeper's Friend on the wet stains and they came out immediately - and didn't damage the linen. It is amazing stuff!

Old 10-04-2011, 07:01 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,699,219 times
The smell is terrible and it does take a while. But, when its all done, just sweep up the ash. I'm not concerned at all with the self-cleaning oven.

Old 09-17-2012, 04:21 PM

2 posts, read 35,876 times
Default Do the Research on Self-Cleaning Ovens!

I am from the generation that grew up cleaning ovens by hand. I am getting ready to buy new appliances for my remodeled kitchen. I have done SUBSTANTIAL research, and based on the research I will not be using the self-cleaning oven feature. I have read article after article and information on problems and class action lawsuits regarding self-cleaning ovens. You really need to read up on this. Many people wound up with shattered glass and ovens that no longer worked. In order to self-clean, ovens have to reach temps of 900 to 1000 degrees. The rest of the oven is not designed to withstand this heat. Manufacturers keep making them because consumers want the feature, but many consumers wind up with ovens that no longer work, after using the feature. Like I said, do the research! I will continue to clean my oven and stay safe. They do make cleaners, by the way, that are safe to use in self-cleaning ovens. Read up on this, too. I always do research before making expensive purchases. Safe in Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House