Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: how would you/do you feel about living near a railroad?
I live where I can hear trains pass but it doesn't bother me at all 33 57.89%
I live where I can hear trains pass, and am occasionally bothered by the noise 7 12.28%
I don't live within earshot of a train, but I don't think I would be bothered by it 4 7.02%
I don't live within earshot of a train, and would not want to b/c of the noise 12 21.05%
Other 1 1.75%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 03:18 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times

Advertisements

We lived near a busy track and after a month or two did not notice it. People woudl say doesn't that train noise bother you? we sould say "\What noise?

Now whee we live a train come on the tracks that are a half mile away across a river about three or four times a year. Always at night. It always wakes us up. I think that you shut it out i it is all the time, but not if it is irregular.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2011, 05:16 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,090,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
. . . but some of the freight trains that go by during the night can really be annoying; some of those guys really honk on that horn at 4 in the morning

then there are others that come through really slowly but make quite a racket with a ton of clanking and creaking.
We live two blocks from the freight train tracks and it doesn't really bother us. It did at first, when we first moved in, but now, we realize that those horns are blowing to warn people. Our train cuts through the center of town so there are always people walking near the tracks, cars crossing over, and people walking in the wooded paths near the tracks. At night, it is very dark. So if those horns can save lives, all the power to them.

Our biggest dilemma with them is when they stop or move super slow through town and everyone has to wait until they pass (several intersections will be blocked at one time).

Old 11-18-2011, 05:27 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jersey Styx View Post

Our biggest dilemma with them is when they stop or move super slow through town and everyone has to wait until they pass (several intersections will be blocked at one time).
I was going to write something similar as living near a railroad track often means limited avenues to cross it - only some streets cross the track. Just like near a river, there are only a couple bridges that cross it.

Old 11-18-2011, 05:40 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,349,093 times
For several years I had hobby shop on a property that adjoined a BNSF line. The trains came by about two or three times a day and would blow their horn right in back of my shop. I can't count the times I've jumped through my skin when I had my back turned to the track and the horn blew. I didn't like it.

Old 11-18-2011, 10:26 PM

1,846 posts, read 3,939,373 times
Before moving to my present house, I lived in an apartment that couldn't have been more than 20-30 feet from the railroad track. It didn't bother me a bit.

Now, neighbors with loud music, fights, or arguments? That drives me up the wall. Trains don't bother me, though. They remind me of staying at my grandparents' house when I was a little girl, since they lived right next to a train track. The sounds of trains may awaken me briefly but then puts me right back to sleep as I dream of where the trains are headed.

Even though I don't mind the sound of trains, I wouldn't buy a home right by a train track because of the resale.

Old 11-19-2011, 01:27 AM

44,625 posts, read 61,603,272 times
It don't bother me...

I hear the train a comin'
It's rollin' 'round the bend,
And I ain't seen the sunshine,
Since, I don't know when,
I'm stuck in Folsom Prison,
And time keeps draggin' on,
But that train keeps a-rollin',
On down to San Antone...Johnny Cash

Old 11-19-2011, 10:23 PM

5,762 posts, read 11,367,944 times
I have never lived near RR tracks, but I worked in a small brick office building for a year almost adjacent to CSX tracks passing through West Point, GA (southeast of Atlanta at the Alabama line).

The freight trains passed through about once every hour or so, and it was like a small earthquake. The train whistles, traffic barrier chimes, track noise and the rumble of the locomotives could be plenty annoying. If you left a car parked out front of the office, sometimes there would be some grime on the windows or paint surface from the diesel locs or if a lot of coal car trains had passed by. After working in that office next to the tracks, nobody could convince me to live within several miles of an active RR line, especially a freight RR line. Not only the noise, but the air contamination would bother me.

What a great thing to have Google Maps available to look at a satellite view of the area where somebody is thinking of renting or buying their next residence. Simply zoom out a few miles and look around for RR tracks or any other obvious source of noise or pollution. Problem solved.

Old 11-19-2011, 10:52 PM

3,863 posts, read 6,295,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post

what a great thing to have google maps available to look at a satellite view of the area where somebody is thinking of renting or buying their next residence. Simply zoom out a few miles and look around for rr tracks or any other obvious source of noise or pollution. Problem solved.
this!!

Old 11-20-2011, 02:47 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,048,201 times
When I was young, we lived about half a mile from the trian tracks. I can remember laying in bed at night and loving the sound of the train in the distance - it was very comforting. Then I married and moved not to far from the beach and I could hear the fog horns some times in the distance - loved it. As long as those sounds are in the background and not next to my house, I wouldn't mind them at all.

Old 11-20-2011, 02:48 PM

146 posts, read 358,538 times
We moved into a house about half a mile from freight tracks. They are not used often and rarely blow the horn so it's not bad. My office, on the other hand, is right next to a switching yard and is a major PITA for traffic and the horns suck. I would not want to live within earshot of that area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House